Average total range

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The day after I got my PHEV, I bumped in to an old friend who already had one. He was amazed that I'd bought one privately as he thought the mpg was awful -around 26mpg average. It turned out that he had only got the car because of the company car tax incentive. His company paid for all his fuel but would not install a charging station. He was doing 30,000 miles a year mostly on motorways and admitted that he had NEVER plugged it in to a charger. I have to admit that I was pretty amazed, but on a purely commercial basis I can see where he was coming from. The company was willing to pay for his fuel but not his electricity, and he was not willing to subsidise his business driving or, even, lose the odd half hour using a free charge on the motorway

So, some people will get the PHEV because the company car tax incentive means that you can get a big, relatively up market, car for a discount price and are not interested in the green credentials. Each to their own

nick2b said:
Usual bigotry on here I see. I tell you what, follow me on my daily journey and see what you get.
Probably the same. But if your driving style gives you no more than 200 miles on a tank of fuel, I think nobody will want follow you. Or even has the guts to do so. :mrgreen:

If you think your driving style is sensible, you should have your car checked by the dealer. Because emptying a tank over 200 miles with a sensible driving style should not happen. If you don't think your driving style is sensible, you may want to adopt a more sensible driving style for one day, look at the difference in MPG, and then decide whether it is all worth it.

anko said:
greendwarf said:
Slightly off-topic but today with temp down to 2c and frost on windscreen I unusually decided to use ICE to heat car (Gx3h) this morning. As I set the aircon & temp high I was not surprised by mpg in the mid teens. However, after warming up & clearing screen - so lower temp & aircon - I found that car was in fuel maintenance mode, i.e. running with ICE all the time. In driving around in slow moving traffic in central London all day overall mpg only got as high as 20mpg (inc. periods of coasting with ICE off!)

I assume this is normal urban non-EV performance - so you wouldn't get 200 miles out of a tank at that rate. :cry:
Then again, nobody would drive 200 miles at that rate.

I'm afraid we've already had posters admit to only getting the car for the BiK benefit, live in London (so no congestion charge) but have no means of charging up. The only consolation is that the normal diesel Chelsea Tractor has an even worse mpg in similar circumstances, so less pollution - cough! cough!. :(

JSC said:
The day after I got my PHEV, I bumped in to an old friend who already had one. He was amazed that I'd bought one privately as he thought the mpg was awful -around 26mpg average. It turned out that he had only got the car because of the company car tax incentive. His company paid for all his fuel but would not install a charging station. He was doing 30,000 miles a year mostly on motorways and admitted that he had NEVER plugged it in to a charger. I have to admit that I was pretty amazed, but on a purely commercial basis I can see where he was coming from. The company was willing to pay for his fuel but not his electricity, and he was not willing to subsidise his business driving or, even, lose the odd half hour using a free charge on the motorway

So, some people will get the PHEV because the company car tax incentive means that you can get a big, relatively up market, car for a discount price and are not interested in the green credentials. Each to their own

We had some of those owner in the company and its hard to blame them when you look at the level tax on any other vehicle at a typical 100 - 140g/km level costs now it shocking.

The company then changed the game drastically by saying you pay for your fuel and claim business miles back at the allowed rate, about 13p a mile at the moment.

Supermarket petrol is 99p a litre, £4.50 a gallon, 450/13 = 34 mpg so you only need to do that to at least break even.
So overnight it became crazy not to charge, even if it only cover a part of your trip, electric miles cost you only 5p and your getting paid 13!

As the PHEV shows effectively combined economy, so not just the petrol used I am happy with 36mpg at least but 38-42 is my target, the extra bit over 34 mpg means I have used less petrol than I am being paid for so the extra money covers my electricity cost.

BobEngineer said:
The company then changed the game drastically by saying you pay for your fuel and claim business miles back at the allowed rate, about 13p a mile at the moment.
I like that idea.

In general I understand that there are differences in use pattern, and that there are people who only look at BIK and are not willing to pay there own fuel. That is all fine. But a day-by-day driving style that results in an MPG worse than what others get while towing a 1500 kg caravan is something I find hard to understand. Especially when the driver has chosen the car in order to profit from environment related tax brakes. Sorry :oops:

Especially as it was this kind of use that put an end to these tax benefits over here, turning the clock back on those of good will. :( :evil:

jaapv said:
Especially as it was this kind of use that put an end to these tax benefits over here, turning the clock back on those of good will. :( :evil:

Not sure this would apply to UK. The current policy is more about bragging rights - "we've got more EV cars than you". There is fixed budget for discounts to purchase, so once the take up is where planned and the money used up, that's it. The Gov't doesn't actually care how they are used.

But even this cynical view is unfair because these cars will filter down into the 2nd hand market to private users who are more likely to want to save money on fuel (in fact no point in buying as a private user otherwise :lol: ). So there will be the looked for reduction in tail pipe emissions eventually - even if you ignore brand new users like me, who do max their EV driving now. :mrgreen:

Well, basically all governments are the same (old cynic here too) and they all made the basic mistake of putting the benefit on the ownership of the car instead of on the use. :twisted:

I'm with BobEngineer on this one. My current (pun intended) incremental electricity cost is 10.88 p/kWh. So even at that price it costs me £1.36 for a full charge. That can reduce to zero if the sun is out and my solar PV is fully utilised for charging. Every little helps.

Anko

When in a hole stop digging.

For your information, I'm I am paying for my own fuel - my fuel card is an integral part of my compensation package - is this too hard for you to understand?

So you tell me what is wrong with my driving, let's take today for example.
204 miles of motorway trip, 76 mph set on the cruise, about 20 minutes in traffic jams - 60 miles left in the tank (from the onboard monitor) when I got home, which was the same as when I filled last night.

nick2b said:
Anko

For your information, I'm I am paying for my own fuel - my fuel card is an integral part of my compensation package - is this too hard for you to understand?

204 miles of motorway trip, 76 mph set on the cruise, about 20 minutes in traffic jams - 60 miles left in the tank (from the onboard monitor) when I got home, which was the same as when I filled last night.
Nick, to me having a paid for fuel card is a strange and selfish reason not to worry about fuel economy. Or is "clean air" also included in your compensation package? I also believe it is a false argument as the tax brake you are enjoying is not part of your compensation package but related to the "environmental impact of driving this vehicle", which you seem not to concerned with.

Either way, you have gone up from 200 miles on Wednesday to 264 miles on Friday. That is 30% up. Plus the 60 miles on the dash will probably end up being 80 miles, if you have the guts to push it to the limit, giving you a total of close to 280 miles om a fill up. Or 40% up compared to your initial statement. Can you imagine that responses would have been rather different if you had said 280 on Wednesday instead of 200? ;)

My last word on the matter.

1. If I fill up with 60 miles remaining on the dash, then drive 204 miles and fill up with 60 miles on the dash - that is a full tank - can you grasp that concept.
2. Putting a 'smilie' at the end of an insult doesn't change it from being an insult.
3. I would offer, that using 2.25 tonnes of the earths resources to drive less than 30 miles a day, has equally questionable green credentials.
4. I haven't 'bought' a fuel card, I'd suggest that you get a grip of basic UK Tax and Salary arrangements before shooting, ignorantly, from the hip.

Anyway, like I said, my last word on the matter. As has been previously noted by others, I'll leave you to your cyber bullying.

Nick,

"Having a paid for fuel card" versus "Having paid for a fuel card". Not quite the same. Is it?

"Getting no more than 200 miles from a full tank" versus "Filling up my tank after 200 miles". Not quite the same either. If your daily trip was 180 miles, would your mpg be worse?

Don't understand why you feel insulted if you are not doing anything wrong. I am just sharing my view on things.

nick2b said:
Anko

I'm with Anko on this and I don't think sophistry helps - presumably your fuel is paid for irrespective of quantity, so there is no incentive to drive economically e.g. at the speed limit :lol:

Pleased to announce that I flat knackered the new PHEV from Stoke-on-Trent back to South Somerset and then off to Sussex and back - started with about 1/3rd charge from Stoke and a full charge before leaving for sussex... average MPG was 35mpg...not bad considering it was mostly outside lane of the motorway for 400miles :D (But the EV only mode was ace through Bristol and the local villages)

:)

Back