B? All the time

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thegurio

Hi all, Im just wondering something. Of course using the B? buttons generate more regen, but does it hurt your range to have it on B5 all the time? Sort of like resting your foot on the brake when you're driving in my mind, but I'm not sure if thats the real world equation. Of course it's great for one pedal driving, but at what cost? If any? I suppose I'm thinking of another way I can get the hallowed 1.9l they claim!

It should not make a difference. In fact, I find B has little effect on economy. After all, the brakes will be regenerating anyway. But it is great to use B5 when coasting downhill .

My guess is that the paddles operate gears on the dynamo that recharges the batteries; those dynamos obtaining power from and affecting the amount of friction to the wheels.

I have notice that you always generate more power if you are in a higher B gear and are putting your foot on the break. So if you are in B5 and are going downhill you may note that your dial is 50% - 70% of the way in charge. As soon as I break in B5 my dial will show that I am charging at nearly 100% capacity. If you are in B1 going downhill then you will not be charging the battery very much but by breaking you will add 20-30% to the amount you are charging.

If you are in B5 and you have your foot on the accelerator you are using more energy than if you were in B0. You always have your foot on the accelerator far more often than you are coasting so I can not see how it could ever prove more efficient to always drive in B5? It would be like constantly dirving in 1st gear (although I appreciate that B in terms of the PHEV does not regenerate as much power compared with the amount of petrol you would lose if you wrongly use your gears on an ordinary car). You will just lose any charge you have sooner, use up more fuel or charge the car far less often if you do constantly drive in B5. IMO it is best to drive in in higher B gears when you are coasting and B0 when your foot is on the accelerator.

apyds said:
My guess is that the paddles operate gears on the dynamo that recharges the batteries; those dynamos obtaining power from and affecting the amount of friction to the wheels.

It is actually the electric motors that generates electricity from the car's momentum. The power electronics manage the inversion of the electric motor from generating torque to generating power from torque. The separate generator is used by the ICE to charge the battery when depleted or in 'save' or 'charge' mode.

apyds said:
....always drive in B5? It would be like constantly dirving in 1st gear (although I appreciate that B in terms of the PHEV does not regenerate as much power compared with the amount of petrol you would lose if you wrongly use your gears on an ordinary car). You will just lose any charge you have sooner, use up more fuel or charge the car far less often if you do constantly drive in B5.

B(1-5) only generates power and slows down the car when your foot is off the throttle. The electric motor can't receive and generate power at the same time. The regenerative level makes no difference to the power consumption of the car when the motor is in receiver mode, i.e. power is applied to maintain a constant speed or accelerate.

Coasting when you can (slight slope, gradual reduction of traffic speed) is indeed the most efficient use of the car's momentum as regeneration and battery storage has its inefficiencies. But when going down a steep slope, regenerative breaking harvests the extra energy that would otherwise turn into speeding fine. In stop/start traffic, higher B level is best as it privileges regenerative over mechanical breaking the car would be forced to use in more sudden breaking.

dukeinlondon said:
B(1-5) only generates power and slows down the car when your foot is off the throttle. The electric motor can't receive and generate power at the same time. The regenerative level makes no difference to the power consumption of the car when the motor is in receiver mode, i.e. power is applied to maintain a constant speed or accelerate.

Interesting, and makes complete sense too... I suppose with my usual driving, I'm using cruise control for about 80% of it, so the point is moot, but I suppose for the other 20% it might help? When (if?) I get it I'll do some tests and see what way helps or is best if any...

Can't work out what B0 is used for as it has less resistance than D.
Also paddles/B position don't work when in cruise control - always found B position useful in previous car to decelerate from cruise rather than brake.

I was going to post re B0 and ask whether anyone is using it, and how. I have started using it to glide for longer (a bit like using neutral) as there seems to be no resistance at all and you can feel the car surge forward from D to B0. Regenerating all the time is all very well but you do want to reach your destination, and travelling without resistance or ev or ICE is surely the best way to get there!
If I am not actually needing to decelerate I use D (or B0 where appropriate) rather than being in B all the time. B5 is fantastic on the hairpin mountain roads.
H

Back