Battery again

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonPaul

Is there any visual indication of when the 12 volt battery might be failing? How long do they typically last?

Only ways to check the condition would be to measure the voltage across the jump-start terminal and the chassis (easy) or remove the boot floor and measure at the battery. Of course that won't tell you if its close to failing, but if low then its likely that it'll be sulfating if left that way for long periods.

I installed one of those USB outlets that has a volt readout in a blank switch position, so when power up ACC it'll give the battery reading, then when in Ready shows what the 12V regulator from the drive battery is delivering. That will be around 14.5v when initially started to charge the battery and drops down to 13.4-6v when the aux battery has reached charge.

I just replaced the aux bat on my late 2017.

When I was listening to the stereo with 'ignition' set to aux for around 10 minutes, I noticed a low 11.someting reading on PHEV watchdog.

Dropped in a yellow top Optima (mentioned in another thread).

And did a capacity measurement of the old bat. It has only 6Ah with 1a discharge current.
So 6 years is probably what you can expect.

Well I'm still using the original battery on my almost 10 year old car. However, as it is only designed to fire up the software on starting even 10 mins on AUX will quickly drain it, irrespective of its age - don't do it! Just leave car humming in "ON" mode and use the drive battery instead. 😎

Back