PHEV not switching to direct drive at 40MPH

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jake3847

Hi, I've got a 68 plate 2.4 PHEV.
just recently on a number of occasions the car has failed to switch do direct drive when I get to 40MPH. When you watch the in car display the ICE fails to turn orange and the car lacks power. This is not usually a problem but as we tow a caravan with it. Then it is a problem!
Once the car has stopped and we are returning home the car then works OK and the ICE turns orange.
Any ideas?

Thanks
Jake

This was a long-standing problem on ours (now gone) - in cold weather with the battery fully charged, it would usually refuse to go into "direct drive" mode.

Martin

There could be certain conditions under which the car would still refuse to switch to parallel mode and stay in series. For example, if the battery is cold or there's an issue with a sensor for the engine, such as the air intake sensor, for example.

As above if things are cold that can be the case.

You notice it every trip until the engine warms up, but I have noticed it for much longer periods of time on a ski trip when setting off in the mornings.

OK thanks. That probably makes sense as I've never had any problems towing during the warmer months.

Hmm, what do you mean with lacks power?

Are you sure it's not just reving more?

If everything works at it should, I think you have to go a bit faster than 80 mph before the rpm is high enough that parallel mode will give more power than the battery+engine in series mode.

Maybe if it's really really cold, but I haven't noticed that and I've seen -29°C. I would assume it will give you a turtle warning if it's because of battery parameters.

I kind of like the "snow" mode. It's even more smooth to drive because of the softer response and no hesitation, because it stays in parallel mode.

Back