Battery degradation

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Esparza

What do you think about showing her your battery history to compare between different uses?
This is mine with almost 25 fast charges every month:

2uiax3q.jpg

2i7sb40.jpg

@Esparza, your red points are crossing a vertical line : the 20 000 km line.

Do you see the lowest 2 blue points on this line ? (the left one just on the line).

These are my 2 points ;)

I never do fast charges, and since I bought the car (October 2014) I've driven only about 4000-5000 km from electricity (and 16 000 - 17 000 km from petrol).

jaapv said:
It seems that Mitsubishi has a point in warning against the frequent use of fast chargers.

point of terminology - surely Mitsubishi warn against the use of Rapid chargers - "Fast Chargers" are just the full 16A outlets that many of us have fitted at our houses, aren't they? That then begs the question - was the OP using the wrong term, or has he seen early battery degradation using 16A chargers?

SolarBoy said:
At the risk of asking a silly question, how did you create the graphs?
There are not silly questions :) It is one of the funcionalities of the EvBatmon app.

jaapv said:
It seems that Mitsubishi has a point in warning against the frequent use of fast chargers.
I know it, soon i will stop using fast charge, it will be 25 per month but only 6 months, then i will not use it more.

Grigou said:
@Esparza, your red points are crossing a vertical line : the 20 000 km line.

Do you see the lowest 2 blue points on this line ? (the left one just on the line).

These are my 2 points ;)

I never do fast charges, and since I bought the car (October 2014) I've driven only about 4000-5000 km from electricity (and 16 000 - 17 000 km from petrol).
So it seems that time is more important than the km no? Even if you use it mainly with petrol.

maby said:
point of terminology - surely Mitsubishi warn against the use of Rapid chargers - "Fast Chargers" are just the full 16A outlets that many of us have fitted at our houses, aren't they? That then begs the question - was the OP using the wrong term, or has he seen early battery degradation using 16A chargers?
I thought that the 16A charge is still slow charge, in fact only 3.7 kW. For me fast charge is only CHAdeMO.

In the UK, at any rate, slow means 13A (for PHEV really =10A), fast means 16A (or 32A for other cars that can use it) and rapid is the '30 minutes from empty to 80%'.
Certainly the early LEAF batteries were much more affected by ambient temperature than any type of rapid charging. Nissan improved this on later versions, but I'm wondering (hoping :lol: ) that the same might be true of the Outlander - i.e. in Scotland I may get fewer miles out of a charge, but living in a colder climate will help prolong battery life :mrgreen:

MMC have quoted a maximum 20% loss of battery capacity over its life is expected. If this happens in under 5 years, then battery pack is replaced under warranty.

jdsx said:
In the UK, at any rate, slow means 13A (for PHEV really =10A), fast means 16A (or 32A for other cars that can use it) and rapid is the '30 minutes from empty to 80%'.
Certainly the early LEAF batteries were much more affected by ambient temperature than any type of rapid charging. Nissan improved this on later versions, but I'm wondering (hoping :lol: ) that the same might be true of the Outlander - i.e. in Scotland I may get fewer miles out of a charge, but living in a colder climate will help prolong battery life :mrgreen:
I'm Spanish so I translated "Rapido" to "fast", maybe here comes the confusion :oops:
A CHAdeMo charge is at only 50A, and when we regen the charge current can reach 120A, i know that during a few seconds, but is more than twice CHAdeMO current. Also 50A for a 40Ah cells is only 1.25C of charge rate, the Leaf goes up to near 2C.

Here in Spain in summer some days are really hot (>40ºC), but the active cooled battery pack helps a lot, not as the Leaf......

Esparza said:
jdsx said:
I'm Spanish so I translated "Rapido" to "fast", maybe here comes the confusion :oops:
A CHAdeMo charge is at only 50A, and when we regen the charge current can reach 120A, i know that during a few seconds, but is more than twice CHAdeMO current. Also 50A for a 40Ah cells is only 1.25C of charge rate, the Leaf goes up to near 2C.

Here in Spain in summer some days are really hot (>40ºC), but the active cooled battery pack helps a lot, not as the Leaf......

Hmmm, well, if you are doing 25 ChaDeMo charges per month, you are definitely breaking the Mitsubishi recommendations to maximise battery life expectancy. I don't think we have had anyone else here get anywhere near that level of usage of rapid chargers, so you are the pathfinder!

jaapv said:
Yes, but the ChaDeMo warning gives them wiggle room.
The first problem is how much they consider "frequent". And the second is that I will be using CHAdeMo for 5-6 months, then i will stop using it, so in 5 years we have an average of two [(25*5)/(12*5)=2] CHAdeMO charges each month, these cant be "frequent" no? :?:
Will be interesting to see if when i stop using it degradation rate decreases :D

Esparza said:
jaapv said:
The first problem is how much they consider "frequent". And the second is that I will be using CHAdeMo for 5-6 months, then i will stop using it, so in 5 years we have an average of two [(25*5)/(12*5)=2] CHAdeMO charges each month, these cant be "frequent" no? :?:

I think they would certainly consider 25 per month to be "frequent" - I suspect that many of us don't charge the car from any source more often than that! Mine gets charged two or three times per week - always on a 16A Fast charger.

I think it is also true to say that most of the battery aging takes place in the first year of its life - so perhaps it is more vulnerable to the effects of frequent rapid charging then?

maby said:
Esparza said:
jaapv said:

I think they would certainly consider 25 per month to be "frequent" - I suspect that many of us don't charge the car from any source more often than that! Mine gets charged two or three times per week - always on a 16A Fast charger.

I think it is also true to say that most of the battery aging takes place in the first year of its life - so perhaps it is more vulnerable to the effects of frequent rapid charging then?
Yes I also consider 25 per month "frequent" but not 2 per month hahahaha. But Mitsubishi can consider "frequent" 1 per month or 20 per month, so they will change my battery literally if they want, if they dont want it wont be changed doesn't matter the use pattern :lol:
Maybe it's more vulnerable, i dont know :roll:
It will be nice if some of you can post your graphs to compare :D

Esparza said:

Yes I also consider 25 per month "frequent" but not 2 per month hahahaha. But Mitsubishi can consider "frequent" 1 per month or 20 per month, so they will change my battery literally if they want, if they dont want it wont be changed doesn't matter the use pattern :lol:
Maybe it's more vulnerable, i dont know :roll:
It will be nice if some of you can post your graphs to compare :D

Sorry - don't have the graphs...

Esparza said:
I assume that Mitsubishi can track what has happened by interrogating the on-board computer which, I assume (correct me) records the charge patterns over life - how else can a graph be plotted unless they have data? So, one could argue it's only 2 per month, but the records may show something different . . .

Jeff

jthspace said:
Esparza said:
I assume that Mitsubishi can track what has happened by interrogating the on-board computer which, I assume (correct me) records the charge patterns over life - how else can a graph be plotted unless they have data? So, one could argue it's only 2 per month, but the records may show something different . . .

Jeff

As the OP was suggesting, the question will be the period over which they calculate. I sell big computer systems and we are usually required to commit to an availability figure. Figures can range between something like 99% availability to 99.999% availability - in theory, the lower figures are less demanding. But I have seen people get into all sorts of trouble agreeing to 99.9% without noticing that the calculation period was 24 hours - 99.999% is a lot easier if calculated over a full year!

jthspace said:
Esparza said:
Jeff
I dont know if the car records the charge pattern (someone?) but i havent seen any graph from mitsubishi. The graph that I plotted is done recording Date, Km and Ah each time i connect my phone with the OBDII adapter with the help of EvBatmon.
But I insist, the average will be 2 per month, if warranty is 5 years, the frequency has to be measured in that 5 years no?

maby said:
jthspace said:
Esparza said:

Jeff

As the OP was suggesting, the question will be the period over which they calculate. I sell big computer systems and we are usually required to commit to an availability figure. Figures can range between something like 99% availability to 99.999% availability - in theory, the lower figures are less demanding. But I have seen people get into all sorts of trouble agreeing to 99.9% without noticing that the calculation period was 24 hours - 99.999% is a lot easier if calculated over a full year!
Whats the meaning of OP? Sorry for my english :oops:
I like your example :)

Back