Battery Pack in Outlander PHEV

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

camiev

The battery pack is small in vehicle.
It is even smaller than the MiEV.
Mitsu should give a bigger battery pack option like Telsa.

camiev said:
The battery pack is small in vehicle.
It is even smaller than the MiEV.
Mitsu should give a bigger battery pack option like Telsa.

Well there is a big difference in that Mitsubishi Outlander is a Hybrid meaning it doesn't need electricity to drive it on the other hand Tesla is all about electricity thus they need to offer a bigger battery pack.

Bigger battery pack to get higher tax credit.

I have their imiev. It only has 16kw. The iMiev is a 100% electric car. Mitsu just put a small battery in their cars.

camiev said:
Bigger battery pack to get higher tax credit.

I have their imiev. It only has 16kw. The iMiev is a 100% electric car. Mitsu just put a small battery in their cars.

well as I said previously the difference is that Mitsubishi Outlander is a PHEV and doesn't have the battery necessity of a full EV

A bigger battery pack means it would cost more too - of course people would love more range, but it comes down to how many people are willing to pay more for that range?

klaus said:
A bigger battery pack means it would cost more too - of course people would love more range, but it comes down to how many people are willing to pay more for that range?

good point Klaus, even for a SUV the Mitsubishi wouldn't be able to pull off a bigger price for the Outlander PHEV in my opinion.

klaus said:

It does seem that Mitsubishi is really hammering the price down as much as they can so a bigger battery pack would break that 40k psychological barrier which could mean bad news for the sale numbers of the Outlander.

considering that I am not unsatisfied with the battery life of this car.

klaus said:

I can't speak for other markets, but in the USA you would "make money" the larger the battery pack is. Lithium car batteries are about $165-$200 per kWh. However, the Federal Tax Credit provides $417 per kWh after the first 5kWh. So you would pay more up front for the car, but you'd get twice as much back in the form of a tax credit.

ActionableMango said:
klaus said:

I can't speak for other markets, but in the USA you would "make money" the larger the battery pack is. Lithium car batteries are about $165-$200 per kWh. However, the Federal Tax Credit provides $417 per kWh after the first 5kWh. So you would pay more up front for the car, but you'd get twice as much back in the form of a tax credit.

Are you sure that the bigger battery pack wouldn't make Outlander harder to design and manufacture because of the size and weight of the batteries. I can Imagine that a bigger battery pack could be very hard to accommodate alongside the engine that the Outlander is sporting.

BobMarin said:
Are you sure that the bigger battery pack wouldn't make Outlander harder to design and manufacture because of the size and weight of the batteries. I can Imagine that a bigger battery pack could be very hard to accommodate alongside the engine that the Outlander is sporting.

You are absolutely right of course, I was only referring to the battery cost itself.

Larger battery packs definitely have costs when it comes to design time. There are also compromises: Volt sacrifices 5th person seating and Ford sacrifices cargo capacity.

The way I see it, having a smaller battery pack is not a flaw of Outlander PHEV and I think the others in the forum will agree.

Well I have mixed feelings myself. I don't want intrusion into the cabin but a larger battery pack also means more all electric range (AER).

ActionableMango said:
Well I have mixed feelings myself. I don't want intrusion into the cabin but a larger battery pack also means more all electric range (AER).

And a heavier car... many people forget that it's very important for car manufacturers to have a lean car because it means that it's easier to handle and design it. I'm sure Mitsubishi Outlander was also built for easy handling and great drive experience.

Dannyboy said:
ActionableMango said:

And a heavier car... many people forget that it's very important for car manufacturers to have a lean car because it means that it's easier to handle and design it. I'm sure Mitsubishi Outlander was also built for easy handling and great drive experience.

Batteries are pretty heavy, that is probably the only serious downside to the EV technology(except for battery life and endurance which will soon be resolved)

Back