Beeping tailgate

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerHunter

Guys,

After only 3 days, the beeping tailgate is driving me nuts! Does anyone know how to disable the beep? More than willing to cut the wires to the beeper.

Cheers,
Kev.

BeerHunter said:
Guys,

After only 3 days, the beeping tailgate is driving me nuts! Does anyone know how to disable the beep? More than willing to cut the wires to the beeper.

Cheers,
Kev.

This has been mentioned before. Sorry I can't seem to find a link to the topic, but search for 'electric tailgate not working' and there is some discussion already...

I cant understand this how many times do you open and close your tailgate ?......

It beeps when you open it and beeps when you close it ...

englishman said:
I cant understand this how many times do you open and close your tailgate ?......

It beeps when you open it and beeps when you close it ...
I use the boot pretty much every time I use the car. It seems pretty stupid to have a silent car that wakes up the house because I want to put something in the boot!

Kev.

Beerhunter ..

I agree just tried it when the car is locked press button under left hand petal tailgate tailgate opens no beeps..

englishman said:
Beerhunter ..

I agree just tried it when the car is locked press button under left hand petal tailgate tailgate opens no beeps..
Ah! Yep, that seems to work. Still beeps when you close it, unless you do it by hand.

Kev.

Actually it is one of the few things I dislike about the car,the Tailgate is too slow,and difficult to do manually. My previous was a RR Sport,and the split upper tailgate was brilliant.The beeping is annoying,and draws attention,"Look at him showing off with his electric tailgate".
However I am very happy with everything else and have done 1000 miles of interesting and very mixed mileage,normally very quiet but the engine noise can be a bit disconcerting on the steep Cumbrian fell roads.
If you are reading this with a view to buying,then if your driving profile fits,and you want a spacious 4X4,then go for it, the tailgate issue is trivial.

BeerHunter said:
Guys,

Cheers,
Kev.

Right, I'm with you on this, Kev. It's stewing my brain too. Why, why, why? Who knows how to get to it? Does the rear internal panel simply prise off, or is there a trick to getting it off without damaging it? Whatever, it's going to be quiet in Basildon soon, I can't stand it!!!!!! :evil:

Hi,

A mod for this has been done in the InsideOutlander forum.

http://insideoutlander.boards.net/thread/422/tailgate-warning-soud

\\Agerdin

Anyone know how to get rid of the bleeps in the cabin for door open/seat belt etc?

And yes I know they are there for safety reasons but I managed fine for the last 8 years without beeps and would like to do the same again! :)

Bilbo59 said:
Anyone know how to get rid of the bleeps in the cabin for door open/seat belt etc?

And yes I know they are there for safety reasons but I managed fine for the last 8 years without beeps and would like to do the same again! :)

I am pretty sure this is done via the 'settings' menu on the dashboard menu switch (long press to select and cycle through to 'sounds')

Regarding the tailgate beeps I decided to go for a less 'final' approach and simply put a piece of gaffer tape over the holes in the beep module - you can just about hear it which is helpful if you need to confirm things are working correctly, but you don't wake up the neighbors any more ;)

Hiiiim, does this go in to the category of personal preferences too?
Including the tailgate beep, I found none of the warning sounds in PHEV annoying and/or intrusive at all.
As a very simple scenario, think what would happen if you open the tailgate from inside of PHEV and somebody (specially a kid) was standing there and gets hit :!: :?: :!:
Even though it automatically stops if anything is in the way when closing, I wouldn't want to take any chance with closing either.

I initially disconnected the beep as it was too loud for my liking, especially when using it early mornings!

However I found having no beep at all a bit strange, as you get no feedback when pressing open or close, and for example when you press the close button on the boot there is no response or movement for a second or more, which felt strange.

Solution? Reconnect the beeper, but cover the two holes on top of it (the side you can't see) with a piece of tape.

Result - muted beeper, with feedback on button pressing - win-win for me!

BeeJay and others; can you explain exactly where your sticky tape goes please? Do you have to remove the back plastic cover first to see the 'holes'?

Of course,

You still have to pop off the plastic trim on the tailgate as per the instructions for disconnecting, however instead of then unplugging it, you put tape over the two holes on the beeper unit that are on the side you can't see. I actually unbolted it to do this properly, though you could do it by feel.

Also, you may find duct tape is too quiet, and another thinner tape may give a better result, down to personal preference ;-)

ufo said:
As a very simple scenario, think what would happen if you open the tailgate from inside of PHEV and somebody (specially a kid) was standing there and gets hit :!: :?: :!:
It will stop... It will also stop if you touch the rubber strip on the side.

jaapv said:
ufo said:
It will stop... It will also stop if you touch the rubber strip on the side.

Maybe but the kinetic energy would still be enough to cause injury :oops:

Back