Before the PHEV...

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HI

Renault Grande Espace 3.0 DCI. 30 ish MPG.

Miss space and versatility, but saved £45 on 420 miles.

(Dont miss seeing my best friend Big Bill at the Renault garage)

Chris

Mine was a 2009 Mazda cx7 petrol turbo. Main reason for change is it returns 12l/100... I think it was a step above the Outlander in terms of interior quality and fit, but at the end of the day, it was the only car in it's class and of it's kind that could tow 1500kgs, and still return under 5l/100... Most of my daily commute is about 80-90 k's return, and now I can charge up at 'work', but it's a bit of a walk to get to where I normally need to go. So far so good, I've done about 350-400k's in it and used half a tank, so so far it's returning figures as I'd hoped. Biggest problem is during winter I have to do a 6-700 return trip most fortnights, first of which starts on Thursday of this week, so I'll be interested to see what happens - it'll be a wait and learn approach I can see.

So far enjoying the fact I've got to work out the best way to get good mileage.. Made a few bad choices yesterday, but I've learnt from them, and today is much better!

2003 Honda crv automatic. Been thoroughly reliable and a comfy drive but I generally do short journeys and the fuel bills mount up. Hoping the outlander will be almost zero fuel for the type of driving I do.

Ours will replace a 2004 Prius T4. We are not buying the Outlander particularly for fuel economy - we just like the car and it is tax efficient as a company car. The Prius generally averages around 50mpg across a tank, so that is the baseline that the Outlander has to compete with.

In practice, I'll be quite happy with an average mpge of fifty-ish. The pattern of use will be a few miles most weekday for shopping, an occasional 60 mile round trip into London to visit the office, and a round trip of about 150 miles each weekend to visit our boat - no opportunity to recharge there, but I probably can get a charge while I'm in the London office. I would anticipate burning very little petrol during the week, but doing less than ten miles too - hence the fact that it can all be done on EV will not have a big impact on my overall fuel consumption. Not much of my weekend use will be on electricity, so my overall running costs will be effectively the fuel consumption in pure petrol mode.

On the other hand, our other car is an elderly 4.5 litre diesel Landcruiser - we probably average 18mpg - so the bar for the Outlander really isn't very high at all! :) We came to the Outlander as a result of looking for a decent size fully automatic 4WD that was not going to bankrupt us - looks like it will fill that bill.

TallPaul said:
2003 Honda crv automatic. Been thoroughly reliable and a comfy drive but I generally do short journeys and the fuel bills mount up. Hoping the outlander will be almost zero fuel for the type of driving I do.

Electricity isn't free, you know!

maby said:
TallPaul said:

Electricity isn't free, you know!

It is if you have solar panels. In fact you get paid to generate the power which you use to charge the car. Imagine the Govt paying you to put fuel in your ICE CAR....!! :D

For me it's replaced a Kia Picanto.
Not quite as strange as it sounds -
1. Two school runs a day (5 miles round trip) into the London Congestion Zone.
2. I have a private parking space outside my house (and now a charging point courtesy of BG).
3. The Kia did an average of 28 mpg in 9k of ownership (compared to my 4.8 V8 ten year old X5 which does 20!). Outlander should be all electric.
4. Now have two rather then one child at the school with plenty of shared runs, play dates etc.
5. I've put the purchase through my company so very tax efficient.
Delighted with it so far.

byrnehj said:
VW Passat Estate 1.6TDI Sport... company car as will be my Outlander, I am one of the lucky few who dont so much care about mpg but more about personal tax and BIK!

Similar situation here. I got the car that 'I would never own' namely a Ford Mondeo Econetic Estate 1.6TDCi in October 2011 as a company lease vehicle. I previously had an A4 Avant 2.0TDi and the Mondeo was my attempt a going green! Back in 2011 it had a BIK of 13%, for a while at least, and it is now 18%. The MPG has been NOTHING like that published I am getting 42.5mpg doing around 13,000 miles per year. Much of this is tootling around B roads with a little motorway driving and my longest journeys being about 110 miles. I hope therefore that this new messiah of a car will not only save me on the BIK (18% to 5% is a good start) but also reduce my monthly fuel bills to boot. Also the business mileage claim will be enhanced by an extra 2p per mile as well.....whoopee! To be honest I have really liked the Mondy - much better for me than the A4 - and I was seriously looking at the new one but it will not be available in time. Also, our home has been extended by 4 feet / paws attached to our new dog so I started looking at SUV type motors and came up with the new X-Trail until the Outlander hit my radar!

Changing from a much loved Range Rover sport,I have had Range Rovers for over 20 years,apart from a brief period with an XC90,which I did not like and rapidly traded it in and back to RR.
Reasons for changing are my daily driving has changed since retiring and I hope to get a very high level of all electric motoring.Hope I am not making a mistake,I know it will not be like a RR,but I do like to be an early adopter,and I need a 4 by 4.
Delivery mid September.

Changing from an 04 Santa Fe, finally bit the bullet to take a company car over the allowance.

Outlander primarily for the personal tax/bik.

However, the more I look into it, the more I am looking forward to getting it.

2004 full fat range rover 4.4 petrol. lpg converted, but no lpg stations within a sensible radius of us. used to commute past a couple, but don't these days. running costs on petrol only are mad.

was looking to change to a newer range rover, but the running costs and tax status of the outlander just make it too tempting.

extended test drive at montys in sheffield, and now i'm waiting for my shiny blue 4h to roll off the dinghy in bristol.

BMW 318 diesel tourer. Looking forward to recouping all that BIK tax over the next three year lease. Should save over £200 per month in tax alone

Ill be moving from a Grand Picasso 08 plate when I get my lease sorted.
Before that I had an L200 2.8 (the rare ones!) proper gas glugger - but I loved it.

We're trading in a 2010 Subaru Forester. We bought the petrol version of this with the intention of converting to LPG, but then discovered that it's not a particularly good candidate for LPG so never did. Always been a bit disappointed with the fuel figures from this, struggles to get much over 30mpg. Wish we'd bought the Boxer Diesel version.

Keeping the 1995 Discovery TDi and the 1992 MX-5 with LPG conversion (yes really) as neither of these are worth much.

We are trading in our fantastic 2 years old Citroën DS5 Diesel Hybrid.
Average fuel consuption is 0,53L/10km but I expect the PHEV to take my wife to and from work at only the electricity costs, atleast in the warm time of the year. She works 10km from our home.
The Citroën is not a plugin, it only charge from the Diesel and it runs only 3-4km on battery, the electric motor is 40bhp an that causes the Diesel to start all the time, even when driving in the city. Max speed is 50-60km/h on battery with a tale wind and flat roads.
In addition we are getting diesel taxes inside the city centre in just a few years.....

Replacing a BMW 520d SE Tourer, company car on four year lease. The outgoing car was my second BMW 5-series, and I loved them both, however the BIK saving was too good to ignore. Was going to opt for an E-class hybrid with moderate BIK saving, but then just before decision time the Outlander PHEV hit the UK. One test drive later, order was placed. Although the PHEV doesn't have the BMW performance/quality/luxury, in addition to paying off my mortgage early I will enjoy the quiet ride, elevated ride height and 4WD when my colleagues BMWs, Audis and Mercs are struggling in the snow! :lol:

I expect the company car market in the UK will be huge for the Outlander PHEV, at least until the Government re-writes the taxation regulations. I hadn't seen any on the roads until last week (apart from the two I've tested), but have now seen three or four locally.......

And although I was tracking the Boheme, thinking my car was on-board, I've just been told by my fleet manager that my car is already in the UK! But I have to wait for current BMW lease to expire on Nov 4th before I get my hands on the PHEV :(

Hi,

Not exactly new to the PHEV world, our previous car was a Vauxhall Ampera. Moved due to several issues with the the car, not the under lying PHEV technology.

Cheers

G

Exchanged a very comfortable, hydro-pneumatic Citroën C5 HDi, which was going in its 8th year. Mainly because maintenance and insurance were getting dearer and resale value dropping.

I did have a yearning for the Tesla Model S (which will be coming down-under mid Sep), but the cost was an issue. Had taken a test-drive of the Holden Volt last year, but salesman appeared disinrerested; anyhow the boots was too small.

When the PHEV came along, there was no question of which vehicle would replace the dear Citroën. A couple test drives and the family was won over.

Gabe said:
Exchanged a very comfortable, hydro-pneumatic Citroën C5 HDi, which was going in its 8th year. Mainly because maintenance and insurance were getting dearer and resale value dropping.

I did have a yearning for the Tesla Model S (which will be coming down-under mid Sep), but the cost was an issue. Had taken a test-drive of the Holden Volt last year, but salesman appeared disinrerested; anyhow the boots was too small.

When the PHEV came along, there was no question of which vehicle would replace the dear Citroën. A couple test drives and the family was won over.

Exactly the same boat as me Gabe, I wanted a Model S, but the wait and the extra money per week to get one just meant I couldn't do it at this time... I could've gotten the 60, but there was no point with my driving regime. I am secretly hoping to convince SWMBO to take the PHEV in 12-18 months to take the PHEV and I get an S - time will tell...

Mine was a Bentley Continental GTC, had it from new Aug 2007. Sold It on AutoTrader in 17 minutes. Broke my heart!

After the Bentley other conventional cars do nothing for me. The replacement had to be something very different and leading edge.

My GX4hs, glacier blue is on the Boheme.

Back