Bland woman

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davon

Hi
Is there a way to change the voice on the sat nav. The woman's voice is dreadful !!

Thanks

jaapv said:
Davon said:
Hi
Is there a way to change the voice on the sat nav. The woman's voice is dreadful !!

Thanks
Only if you are prepared to change the language as well...
Ah thanks for the reply

That's a poor system then .Sub £100 tom tom from Halfords gives you options , this is a £40 k car !!!

I don't use it, the satnav is awful in every respect.

I use the Waze app on my phone for every journey as it gives real time traffic congestion which can turn my 5 minute journey into a 3 hour one!

:?: My Mitsubishi SatNav gives real time traffic information and alternate routes - quite effectively...

jaapv said:
:?: My Mitsubishi SatNav gives real time traffic information and alternate routes - quite effectively...

I'll try both in parallel, and get back to you on which is best. I have 1 motorway junction to do as part of the school run, it has a habit of going to flowing fine, then a car park as some numpty has a breakdown or accident just past my turn off.

I'm not worried about privacy issues, I don't do anything I shouldn't and the likes of Facebook, Twitter know my location, as well as the core operating system - which knows where you are based on nearby WiFi spots, nearby cell phone towers, nearby Bluetooth devices, and of course the built in GPS.

SolarBoy said:
jaapv said:

I'll try both in parallel, and get back to you on which is best. I have 1 motorway junction to do as part of the school run, it has a habit of going to flowing fine, then a car park as some numpty has a breakdown or accident just past my turn off.
I found that the effectiveness depends on the country one is in. Germany is absolutely #1, the Netherlands quite good too and Naviteq is hopeless in the UK. The Sat~Nav in my Jaguar which functioned quite well on the Continent was abysmal in the UK, the Mitsubishi is better, but not impressive across the Channel.

I'd be interested to know what people find to be a problem with the satnav. Is it that it can't find particular locations? Or doesn't get updated for new roads? Or doesn't respond to traffic problems?

I don't use it often enough to be a good judge, but I haven't noticed any issues.

Nor me. I have found that every SatNav system contains a few errors that will attempt to turn you into a blind alley or lead you the long way round on a few (fortunately rare) occasions. The Mitsubishi one does not appear to do so more than others, which is not a surprise, as many car makers use the same database by Naviteq.
I think that the main problem is that the Mitsubishi user interface is a bit more convoluted to some and takes some getting used to. The instruction book is so messy that most users don't read it, only attempt to find an item when they get stuck.

The interesting thing is that different systems use different ways to collect real-time traffic information. Companies like Garmin use officially gathered data like road sensors, police information etc., which works excellently in highly organised countries like Germany, but can be spotty in other places. TomTom uses data gathered from their navigation systems, which is fine if you have enough systems on the spot. Google uses cell-phone location services from telephone providers, which nowadays is probably the most reliable, providing the analyzing software is intelligent enough.

I much prefer using a map to plan the journey and then checking traffic updates on the radio rather than using a satnav.

Nobody is stopping you. However, I find that having the co-driver read the map leads to domestic unpleasantness. :(

jaapv said:
Nobody is stopping you. However, I find that having the co-driver read the map leads to domestic unpleasantness. :(

I only ask the co-driver to do that in extremis for that very reason. Instead, if I'm planning a route I write out a list of instructions so that I get the info I want. I'd rather hear my good wife's voice giving me those than Blandie!

I think there is a genetic reason for that. When the male Homo Erectus went out hunting for Cervocerus it was a survival skill to find the way back to the cave without error and at speed when it turned out one had been tracking a Sabretoothed Tiger by mistake. The female of the species was more concerned with keeping the area around the cave clear of obstacles for this eventuality.

The SatNav interface is not as good/slick as it could be, and it’s a little clunky adding destinations but once you have figured out how it works I don’t have any issues with it.

Once a destination has been set, I think it works fine and I’ve never had any problems with it.

Appreciate that phones and mapping apps will have more up to date maps, but personally I much prefer just using the in built system in the car rather than having to connect up my phone, stick it in a holder on the dashboard, connect up the power cable, etc. I know its not a massively onerous task to do that, but I don’t want to do it unless I have to, and personally I think the Mitsubishi SatNav is adequate for my needs so I don’t need to bother with setting up the phone.

Back