Brake pedal disengages drive?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Regulo

I've read on here somewhere (can't find it!) that if you are stationary in traffic or at signals, if you press the brake pedal hard enough the car goes into "N". Well, mine doesn't! No matter how hard I press the pedal, it remains resolutely in "D". Is it only mine? What do you find?

Yes, and it always will stay in (D)rive unless you actively select something else.

I think what you may be referring to, is that with light pressure on the brake pedal in stationary traffic you will still have the electric motor 'pushing' against the brake, you can see this with the flow display on the dashboard.
If you then press your foot a little harder on the brake pedal the electric motors will "turn off" and you will see no flow in any direction on the display.

Ah! Looks like I've got the wrong end of the (gear)stick! Never have the energy flow screen up, so wouldn't notice. I'll have a look-see tomorrow.

I usually have the flow display up in between the dials on the main dashboard, that is where I've noticed it. You can also feel it.

Isn't this something to do with the hill start assist? You get a slight 'push' from the motors during the delay in between releasing the brake and pressing the accelerator.

RazMan said:
Isn't this something to do with the hill start assist? You get a slight 'push' from the motors during the delay in between releasing the brake and pressing the accelerator.
Don't think that would be right, logically thinking? If you were on a slight hill, and had depressed the brake so far as to turn off the motors, as Beejay states, when you released the pedal, wouldn't you roll back? Maybe just a short way? Not sure about this scenario, and I'm not trying it out next time I stop in a queue of traffic on a hill. I prefer the "footbrake, handbrake, neutral" followed by "footbrake, drive, handbrake off" method, and let the hill start assist ... well, assist me! :D

Hill Assist works flawlessly. You just release the footbrake and the car will hold for two seconds, giving ample time to drive off. Even on a steep hill. It feels like a mechanical brake. (the same one used for Park??)

Indeed, 'hill assist' works fine, in fact it works exactly the same way as 'creep' has in all the other automatic cars I have had (Range Rovers, Audi A8s etc) It gives you enough time to get off the brake and onto the accelerator.

Regulo, had you driven an automatic before having the PHEV? I never take it out of Drive until I stop to get out or am stopped in traffic for a very long time (or reversing!)...

Hi, BeeJay, yes, always had automatics from 1975!! It's just habit with me, something I've always done, and I can't stop now. It also helps those behind, brake lights seem to be equivalent now to old fog lights! Or are my old eyes wearing out? :(

I agree on the break lights, and since most of us now seam to drive around in SUVs the lights are much higher than the used to be.. it's annoying to sit in traffic behind a car with all 3 break lights shining in your face, especially in the dark.
I always hit the park button if I'm stationary in traffic, ironically it's the only time I ever use the button as I use the ignition off button when I park as it automatically puts the transmission into P

True, the only time I use P is when in traffic.

However I have noticed that if you put it in P on an incline and then lift off the foot brake it will then rock onto whatever is locking the transmission and there can occasionally be quite a 'clonk' when you take it back into Drive as that disengages. Normal in a Range Rover and the like, but incongruous in something so smooth as the PHEV.

BeeJay said:
True, the only time I use P is when in traffic.

However I have noticed that if you put it in P on an incline and then lift off the foot brake it will then rock onto whatever is locking the transmission and there can occasionally be quite a 'clonk' when you take it back into Drive as that disengages. Normal in a Range Rover and the like, but incongruous in something so smooth as the PHEV.

My drive is on a steep slope, I get the clonk every time I take it out. Sure it's no big problem but would be nice to change to a smooth pull away.

Just apply the handbreak before turning off the car or putting it in P. Release the handbreak only after putting the car in D when you take off. And there should be no clonk.

Maybe not advisable in wintertime :mrgreen:

anko said:
Just apply the handbreak before turning off the car or putting it in P. Release the handbreak only after putting the car in D when you take off. And there should be no clonk.

Maybe not advisable in wintertime :mrgreen:

Will try that, thanks. No snow down in Sussex yet, can't wait :p

Back