Bulb (lamp) Sensing, Canbus and all that

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phevourite

Does anyone know for sure whether the Outlander PHEV has the same kind of filament resistance sensing for its lights like many German cars do - often called Canbus? I would like to replace some of the bulbs with LED ones but I do not want to have the wasteful and harmful parallel resistor (LEDs need to run cool) used to fool the sensing system. Some seem to suggest that the Mitsubishi does not use this kind of technology but I have not found a clear answer by searching earlier posts.

Quite a few owners have replaced their bulbs by LEDs without any problem. However for main-beam HIDs you will need the proper black box.

I've replaced the sidelight bulbs, and DRL bulbs with LED's with no reported trouble, and then re-replaced the DRL's with "Angel Eyes". Again no problems. I think others have gone much further, and not had any problems. I'd conclude there's no CanBus monitoring of filaments on the PHEV. But I have been wrong in the past!!!! :p

I have added Angel Eyes to the DRL's in addition to the normal bulbs. I have changed the parking light filament bulbs for LED's and have had no warnings or other problems.

I will be changing numberplate lights to LED's at some stage as well.

Jeff

Back