Cargo area - filling the two open spaces beside and below the floor

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonathanCarmichael

Bought used 2021 Outlander PHEV Feb 2024
Those two open spaces at the rear of the cargo area, that open up beside and below the main floor of the cargo area: Outlander boot spaces.png

Is there an accessory to fill in the spaces to create a flat floor over them? I want to avoid cargo items falling off the main floor into those open spaces. I've seen a rubber floor cover that extends over them, but nothing that creates a hard floor above them, so the rubber cover would just flap down into the open spaces.

Is there an accessory, or a solution?

Any idea why those spaces are there?

Any cool uses for them?

I use them for any kind of small stuff that is being temporarily carried.
(Or that I need ready access to.)

Bottles of wine, packs of dog food, anything that I don't want to be rolling around on the floor.

(Along with a cargo net, bungie cords, and shopping bags, and gloves. Heaven help me if a police officer ever looks in my boot.)

:)

Things that I carry more permanently (light rain jacket, spare light jumper, reflective vest) I've stored in the boxes under the cover.

I like your idea for boxes that are made to fit in those nooks, but I haven't seen any.

(Now I want to try all my storage boxes to see if any fit in there.)

Last edited:
I use them for any kind of small stuff that is being temporarily carried.
(Or that I need ready access to.)

Bottles of wine, packs of dog food, anything that I don't want to be rolling around on the floor.

(Along with a cargo net, bungie cords, and shopping bags, and gloves. Heaven help me if a police officer ever looks in my boot.)

:)

Things that I carry more permanently (light rain jacket, spare light jumper, reflective vest) I've stored in the boxes under the cover.

I like your idea for boxes that are made to fit in those nooks, but I haven't seen any.

(Now I want to try all my storage boxes to see if any fit in there.)
Haha! I've already put a soft first aid kit bag in there, plus a fluorescent vest. Maybe more reserve clothing in a bag could be my solution. Thanks.

More ideas welcome...

Hmm...

Those spaces are an interesting shape.

I can stand a 'half-day' pack in there, provided it is not overstuffed with gear. So it could be an opportunity for you to keep a 'bug-out' bag.
(You can put quite a lot of stuff in a half-day pack especially if you've fallen into the EDC rabbit hole.)

So far I've found a couple of 'Gartner' lap top bags that only just fit, and a pair of ridiculously expensive, curved, bicycle panniers that look to be made to measure!

Because of the curved shape, the length of the bag determines the width you can accommodate 240mm x 150mm looks doable, but I don't have anything with those dimensions to try.

I'm now cursing all the online stores that are really sloppy about giving measurements of things.

There is one guy that has created a 3D model for a pair of lidded boxes to fit in each side (four boxes in total), but they're 2kg worth of filament per side, so I think I'll give that a miss!

:D

I'm wondering about using some wood cut to shape, wrapped in cloth that would make it fit snugly, and resting on one side where there is a moulded lip, and with legs to support the other side. Or tape the 'legs' in place to the side plastic, so only the lid lifts off. Then a small fabric loop to lift it out. Might work. Any better ideas?

Those two open spaces at the rear of the cargo area, that open up beside and below the main floor of the cargo area: View attachment 1103

Is there an accessory to fill in the spaces to create a flat floor over them? I want to avoid cargo items falling off the main floor into those open spaces. I've seen a rubber floor cover that extends over them, but nothing that creates a hard floor above them, so the rubber cover would just flap down into the open spaces.

Is there an accessory, or a solution?

Any idea why those spaces are there?

Any cool uses for them?
I believe they were for a cunning Japanese "spare wheel" idea that would come in two halves which you clip together when putting on the car! 🤣

Hi, as a recent UK Outlander PHEV owner I have been working hard to get mine sorted to suit my needs. I too wondered how best to use the two small storage areas at the sides and eventually found online a super boot mat with a lip which stiffens it well. That covers the two pockets and when they are filled with useful "stuff" it stays flat and firm. It is also rather neat in that it has a hinge which allows it to fold for easy access to the back storage area where I keep the two charging cables. I attach an eBay advert which shows it clearly and I hope you may be able to find it or something similar. Good luck and happy Outlandering!

Mat.JPG

I'm wondering about using some wood cut to shape, wrapped in cloth that would make it fit snugly, and resting on one side where there is a moulded lip, and with legs to support the other side. Or tape the 'legs' in place to the side plastic, so only the lid lifts off. Then a small fabric loop to lift it out. Might work. Any better ideas?
Just as an example, these pics show the SAAB 9-5 solution. The bins are easily removed and the lids are solid (plywood?) with carpet covers.

Attachments

• 20240227_123832.jpg
    20240227_123832.jpg
    6.8 MB · Views: 2
  • 20240227_123820.jpg
    20240227_123820.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 2
  • 20240227_123812.jpg
    20240227_123812.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 1
Zulu67MP, that is just the effect I have in mind!
It's really kind of you to show pictures from the SAAB. Helps me visualise it.

Interestingly, after our first holiday away with the car, my wife has found the bins quite useful for putting shopping or bottles in, so things don't roll around. So having removable bin covers seems the way forward.

Back