Charge cable locking advice

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jazzenator

Hi Guys
I had a rolec charger installed as part of the olev grant. at that point I was unsure as to which EV of PHEV I would opt for. To leave myself flexible I opted for (and also that one was the only one available at the time) one with a tYpe 2 socket.
I subsequently got a type2 to type 1 charging lead which serves me well.
Everynight I have to go through the rigmarole of opening the boot, connecting the cable at both ends and vice versa on cold mornings.
I am regretting not having gone for a tethered type1 charger.
Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can secure the cable to the wall so that it cannot be stolen when I am not charging (or even charging) the car?
I do padlock it through the eyelet of the type 1 handle but any person with bargain basement bolt cutters can cut through the lock and make away with the cable.
I am wracking my brains but feel that most of you'll will have better ideas than I can come up with
Thanks

Can't you use one of those lockable wall boxes like those for electricity?

As for the car side.Just park with one wheel on the cable...

to avoid parking wheel on tyre, https://www.connectorprotector.com/ is $35 but doesn't solve the having to get the cable out of your boot every time.

How about using a ring plate (eg http://www.amazon.co.uk/Westgate-Galvanised-Tie-Ring-Plate/dp/B00359ZHJM ) putting a large padlock through that, and the cable through the hoop of the padlock? As long as the hoop was smaller than the plug ends, your cables going nowhere. That only works at home (or whereever you fit the ring plate)

If you really want to convert to a semi tethered version, search eBay or google for a "wall anchor", there will be an elegant fix for how to tether the cable nicely, again such that the plug ends can't slip through. Both these solutions you can use the charge unit even when the cable is locked in place . hope that helps

HJB

jazzenator said:
Hi Guys
Everynight I have to go through the rigmarole of opening the boot, connecting the cable at both ends and vice versa on cold mornings.

Another first world problem. What about those poor people who keep their cars in a garage - all that tedious open & closing of doors - or those without EV who have to go to petrol stations - all that getting in & out of the car and walking across the forecourt to pay. ;)

aitchjaybee said:
to avoid parking wheel on tyre, https://www.connectorprotector.com/ is $35 but doesn't solve the having to get the cable out of your boot every time.

HJB

Whilst it might deter the casual thief, I can't believe a bit of leverage wouldn't enable the cable to be slipped out. :eek:

I agree. I don't know of any solution that would definitely stop a determined thief/vandal. Even my second suggestion could be pulled off the wall / bolt cuttered. But that's true of my tethered unit.

I'm sure OP would welcome any other ideas to help.

greendwarf said:
jazzenator said:
Hi Guys

Another first world problem. What about those poor people who keep their cars in a garage - all that tedious open & closing of doors - or those without EV who have to go to petrol stations - all that getting in & out of the car and walking across the forecourt to pay. ;)

Yep - not like the idyllic third world where people who actually do own something live behind electrified barbed wire with security buttons in each room... :( :mrgreen:
At least in the UK a plastic cupboard over the charger with a little lock will suffice.

jaapv said:
Yep - not like the idyllic third world where people who actually do own something live behind electrified barbed wire with security buttons in each room... :( :mrgreen:
At least in the UK a plastic cupboard over the charger with a little lock will suffice.

Nothing idyllic about the third world - or different, merely a question of scale. The mega rich in the West also live behind security fences with panic rooms etc. :roll:

aitchjaybee said:

How about using a ring plate (eg http://www.amazon.co.uk/Westgate-Galvanised-Tie-Ring-Plate/dp/B00359ZHJM ) putting a large padlock through that, and the cable through the hoop of the padlock? As long as the hoop was smaller than the plug ends, your cables going nowhere. That only works at home (or whereever you fit the ring plate)

If you really want to convert to a semi tethered version, search eBay or google for a "wall anchor", there will be an elegant fix for how to tether the cable nicely, again such that the plug ends can't slip through. Both these solutions you can use the charge unit even when the cable is locked in place . hope that helps

HJB

Go to Amazon.co.uk. Search for a wall/ground anchor for motorcycles and bikes. Inexpensive. Easy to install. Strong. Use a good padlock or bike/motorbike lock with it.

Back