Charging etiquette?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It would seem that the sparsity of public charging infrastructure for BEVs and PHEVs in the USA creates problems that many will recognize here in the UK. This USA guidance has a near universal relevance INMHO. http://cleantechnica.com/2016/01/20/plug-vehicle-public-charging-etiquette/

The emerging list of good ideas in the "Tips" thread makes we wonder if it would be a good idea to include something like this article in a section of the forum Ideas for new PHEV drivers.

TheBunyip said:
It would seem that the sparsity of public charging infrastructure for BEVs and PHEVs in the USA creates problems that many will recognize here in the UK. This USA guidance has a near universal relevance INMHO. http://cleantechnica.com/2016/01/20/plug-vehicle-public-charging-etiquette/

The emerging list of good ideas in the "Tips" thread makes we wonder if it would be a good idea to include something like this article in a section of the forum Ideas for new PHEV drivers.

The trouble with recommendations like this is that they simply don't work for a lot of drivers. Many people drive to the station car park each morning, park up and catch a train - no question of moving the car once it's finished charging there. I do sometimes drive into London to work and could take on a charge - but the nearest car park with charging to my office is a significant walk away - again, not practical to return after three or four hours to move it. Even if I were less lazy and willing to return to the car park late in the morning, it often fills up and the risk of being left with nowhere to move to would be too great. Fortunately, it's a PHEV and runs perfectly well on petrol, but these issues mean that I would rarely, if ever, charge away from home.

I ventured onto a more general EV forum the other day, and quickly realised that 'Outlander' was a dirty word on there.

Is there THAT much of an issue with EV drivers disliking PHEV drivers because they 'don't need to charge'?

Whilst I understand that drivers of a Leaf or similar may be stranded if they can't charge, thats all down to planning and personal choice surely. They had their reasons to buy a Leaf (or i3 or whatever) which had limited range, and presumably understood the risks in doing so.

I suspect with the introduction of the PHEV Mercedes and BMWs which are about to flood the fleet market, this will just increase the ire of EV owners. I wonder if we will eventually have 'EV only' charging bays at some point...

The free parking/charging points in Westminster are theoretically limited to 4 hours but those now run by Pod Point state that there is a 2 hour max (if you can read the small LCD screen :lol: ). However, as these are local authority bays I don't see how this can be enforced.

Even so, I've found EV cars blocking the bays after finishing charging but yet to see another plug-in hybrid using them anyway.

In my experience, it is the lack of "working" charging points that is the main problem in London. Mind you some of this is due to drivers buggering them up but not reporting them - a bit like going to use the office copier and finding the previous user didn't clear the paper jam :evil:

greendwarf said:
The free parking/charging points in Westminster are theoretically limited to 4 hours but those now run by Pod Point state that there is a 2 hour max (if you can read the small LCD screen :lol: ). However, as these are local authority bays I don't see how this can be enforced.

Even so, I've found EV cars blocking the bays after finishing charging but yet to see another plug-in hybrid using them anyway.

In my experience, it is the lack of "working" charging points that is the main problem in London. Mind you some of this is due to drivers buggering them up but not reporting them - a bit like going to use the office copier and finding the previous user didn't clear the paper jam :evil:

While they are free, there is little incentive for the operators to rush to fix them.

maby said:
greendwarf said:

While they are free, there is little incentive for the operators to rush to fix them.

How about breach of contract? If you do not pay for the electricity then the operator must be being paid to provide them under public subsidy - so we are all being cheated out of our "tax dollars". :cry: However, the problem in London is not just non-working ones unreported - in fact, when I have rung them they seem keen to fix them, often remotely. It appears some suppliers have opted out of their contracts for the reason given by Maby , leaving no maintenance cover. So if one goes faulty then there is nobody to fix it.

Had a new experience yesterday.

Pulled into the M25 Clackett Lane Eastbound service area for a break and a coffee, I first asked the 'person' with the non-electric Renault Grand Scenic if he would move - which he did with no argument. Then plugged in and went for coffee etc (knowing this process normally takes about 20 mins).

On my return I found my PHEV had been unplugged and the covers neatly closed - and beside me was a black PHEV plugged in and charging. As I was probably a shade longer than the normal 21 mins I assume it showed charge completed and the PHEV owner knew the process.

I have never stopped a charge, but believe it has to have the card authorised again and as it was a PHEV was less worried - but a first.

phil4146 said:
Had a new experience yesterday.

Pulled into the M25 Clackett Lane Eastbound service area for a break and a coffee, I first asked the 'person' with the non-electric Renault Grand Scenic if he would move - which he did with no argument. Then plugged in and went for coffee etc (knowing this process normally takes about 20 mins).

On my return I found my PHEV had been unplugged and the covers neatly closed - and beside me was a black PHEV plugged in and charging. As I was probably a shade longer than the normal 21 mins I assume it showed charge completed and the PHEV owner knew the process.

I have never stopped a charge, but believe it has to have the card authorised again and as it was a PHEV was less worried - but a first.

I would be OK with that. Surprised the cable reached though as most chargers you have to be reversed up to the right of the charger to reach.

I was going ask about that.

The other day, I saw a BMW i3 plugged in a public free charger. The charger said it was finished, and I was considering if it would be rude to remove the plug, return it to the charger, sign in as me, then take the plug.

Some people can be a bit prickly about people touching their car - doubly so if sudden improper disconnection of the charger caused their car issues. (I don't know if there is any such thing in the BMW i3).

jaapv said:
Doesn't swiping the card at a public charger lock the cable in? Over here it does.

Not as far as I know. I can pull out the charger at any time on my car. I don't need to "release" it in any way.

No, the cable locks in at the charger, not the car; Except for ChDeMo chargers (and nobody uses them, too expensive), tethered public chargers are extremely rare outside the UK

jaapv said:
No, the cable locks in at the charger, not the car; Except for ChDeMo chargers (and nobody uses them, too expensive), tethered public chargers are extremely rare outside the UK

I was assuming that the event described above was referring to a ChaDeMo charger. It was at a motorway service area - would anyone bother plugging up to a fast charger there? It would take ages to take on enough charge to make any difference to running costs.

I'm confused. You swipe with a validated credit card or use the phone app to unlock the plug from the charger, but once it's on the car, it's freely removeable.

So BMW i3 unlocks, plugs in and charges to full. I can remove his plug, put it back in the charger, which relocks it, and disassociates it from his credit card or app, give it 5 seconds, then unlock it with my card/phone app, and plug it into the PHEV.

So at no point do I need his card/phone to steal his plug, whether he's full or not.

No - it does not work this way over here. One connects the car up to the charger, swipes the card, the cable gets locked into the charger. After charging the cable can only be unlocked from the charger by a swipe from the same card.

I know: I once hooked up my car and was filddling inside the car for the card. A lady drove up in an Ampera, hooked up, swiped, pulled the cable out and and drove off again muttering that the $$&&* thing did not work. When I returned I was locked in and had to call the helpdesk to get the cable unlocked from the charger remotely.
It turned out that she had locked my cable instead of her own by swiping the card. It cost me 15 minutes, but it gained me a free charge ;)

maby said:
jaapv said:

I was assuming that the event described above was referring to a ChaDeMo charger. It was at a motorway service area - would anyone bother plugging up to a fast charger there? It would take ages to take on enough charge to make any difference to running costs.
Not only that, the electricity is so expensive that it makes no difference to using petrol. I only see the occasional Tesla or Leaf at those chargers, mostly there is nobody there.

Sunder said:
I'm confused. You swipe with a validated credit card or use the phone app to unlock the plug from the charger, but once it's on the car, it's freely removeable.

So BMW i3 unlocks, plugs in and charges to full. I can remove his plug, put it back in the charger, which relocks it, and disassociates it from his credit card or app, give it 5 seconds, then unlock it with my card/phone app, and plug it into the PHEV.

So at no point do I need his card/phone to steal his plug, whether he's full or not.
That is for a tethered charger. I have not seen one in three years.

jaapv said:
Sunder said:

That is for a tethered charger. I have not seen one in three years.

Is this what you mean by a tethered charger?

charge_point.jpg

Everything is provided for us. There's no way to lock it to our car.

Well, actually there is for this one. With a small size pad lock you can block the knob that you must press to remove the plug from your car. Some plugs do not have a hole in the knob and then you can't.

Had my first Chademo rapid top up at Meadowhall shopping centre today. Couldn't get the type 1 slow charger to start - prob because the phone I had with me wouldn't connect to the car to let me cancel the charge timer. On returning home realise that 'lurgy' induced muppetry meant I forgot to check the phone to see if it had actually captured the car's wifi :oops:

For reasons unknown to me I couldn't cancel the charge timer via the MMCS either.

Any way, the very helpful Leaf owner using the fast charger finished (he used the time usefully to deliver an etiquette lecture about people leaving their cars hooked up for hours....as if someone on here would even dream about it!).

Returned to the car after 20 minutes and had to wait a couple of minutes for it to finish then dutifully moved the car to a non charging bay.

On returning again after shopping found a white MY16 Outlander PHEV occupying the bay, empty, not even plugged in or capable of being so as it was the wrong way round for the charge lead.

Blaming the 'lurgy' for then sitting around for five minutes thinking where I could get a bit of paper to write a self righteous note to stick on it and didn't think to take a picture on my phone so I could post it up :x

JimB

Back