Charging Help

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Posh79

I should hopefully get my PHEV at the end of next week and just looking to get some help on the charging options as Im getting confused!

I always thought that you get a free charging unit at home and have to pay for a work one. I asked the dealer for info on charging units and when his sales contact emailed me there was no mention of a free home unit.

The dealer also said we had to pay for the standard charging cable (which he eventually threw in for free if he could register the car a week early to get it in has January sales figures). I have however seen on the Mitsubishi website that the charging cable is included? I think you need your own alternative cable to plug into public charging points - is this correct? If so maybe it is this cable is has thrown in free.

Any help with info on the cables required and the charging pods would be appreciated.

Over here (AUS) you get 1 x 15 amp EVSE cable which has the protection box in line, free with the car.

Some charging stations have a cable attached to them and for others you need to buy a cable.

I've also just made up a 3 phase 32A to single phase 15A adapter cable for the 32A charging spots.

NAPpy

The free charging point at home has always been a limited promotion and will end, but I've not heard that it is gone yet. Try Chargemaster - unlike British Gas (who had teamed up with Mitsubishi) it is their core business and they will continue to run the promotion as long as possible.

I'm having a free one fitted by PhoenixWorks at the end of the month, so they're still available.

The charging cable that comes with the car is one that plugs into a 3 pin socket - if you want to use charge points (including a home one, unless you get one with the cable tethered) you need a Type 1 to Type 2 cable - about £150 plus shipping from nuworldenergy (or elsewhere).

You don't get a free charging unit installed at home as part of the car deal.
They are done as part of a government grants scheme if still available.

I had a 32 amp Rolec unit fitted by nuworldenergy for free..

http://nuworldenergy.co.uk/nucharge/home-charging

It was done for free - i.e. no cost to me. They get paid by the Government Grant.
see
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/349477/domestic-recharging-grant-guidance.pdf

From what I understand, the Government has set aside a fixed sum of money to fund 'free' household charging points. When the money is gone it's gone.
That said, I think it ended last autumn but more money was put in. Mine was done in November last year.

Amongst other installers are
http://www.evchargingsolutions.co.uk/
http://pod-point.com/
http://www.thephoenixworks.com/ev-charge-point-for-your-home/
http://www.charging-solutions.com/products/home-charging-points.aspx
etc etc

A charger which plugs into a household socket was provided free with my car, and works fine. I put a timer on mine ( not just any timer - they can't all switch 13 amps ) so that I can use my off peak half price electric ( Economy 7 ). Full charge is about 4 units at 6.5p per unit - for 25 miles at the moment.
I'm hoping that it will be extended in the warmer weather when the batteries will be more efficient.
But 25p for 25 miles is fine by me !

The provided charger will only draw 13 amps so will take slightly longer to charge the car than a charging point.
I believe the Outlander will only draw 16 amp maximum.
I had a 32 amp charger installed for future possible cars which can draw more.
It doesn't matter that the Outlander can't use the 32 amps - it looks after itself with what it will draw.

N.B.
Don't expect to not use petrol !
Our salesman advised us to use petrol occasionally because it will 'go off' if left in the fuel tank for too long. As if it's ever going to have a chance to go off !! I wish !!
If you want any heat on any journey you will use petrol. The petrol engine is required to provide heat.
If you we are doing a journey of less than a couple of miles it's not worth putting the heating on. It doesn't get warm on that length of a journey but you are using petrol. You may as well just use electric.

I've used £100 worth of petrol to do 1600 miles - so it's still not bad ! An average of 80 mpg in the cold.
I've also used 285 OFF PEAK units of electric at 6.5p = £ 18.50

Things can only get better as the weather gets warmer.
Enjoy.
... and don't think you are limited to roads !
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frRsBqa6aoo

P.S.
The grant aided charge points have their own electric meter which is connected to 'big brother' via a mobile phone network, which is presumably to collect statistics on usage and take up etc

It's handy to enable you to see how much your car is costing you though.

outlandish said:
I put a timer on mine ( not just any timer - they can't all switch 13 amps )
They do not need to switch 13 amps.

I have a 10 amp rated remote switch which switches my 16 amp charger.
Why isn't this a problem? Because the load will come on a few seconds later, after the contacts are already made by the relais. The communication between car and charger takes a few seconds.
I have that remote switch for three years now; no prob....

It's not strictly true to say the engine is required to provide heat, is it? The gx4 has ab electric heater.

Mines only the basic model !
I realise the other models have an electric heater whilst plugged into the charger.
Does it also heat whilst in motion or do you still need the petrol ?

Kim said:
They do not need to switch 13 amps.

I have a 10 amp rated remote switch which switches my 16 amp charger.
Why isn't this a problem? Because the load will come on a few seconds later, after the contacts are already made by the relais. The communication between car and charger takes a few seconds.
I have that remote switch for three years now; no prob....

I'm afraid they do. Althoguh you haven't had any problem to date, a 10A switch won't necessarily have enough copper to carry the potential fault levels a 13A or 16A switch can. Although your breaker or fuse feeding this should catch the fault, there is still a build up current before the circuit is broken.

Please change your switch as soon as you can.

Posh79 said:
I should hopefully get my PHEV at the end of next week and just looking to get some help on the charging options as Im getting confused!

I always thought that you get a free charging unit at home and have to pay for a work one. I asked the dealer for info on charging units and when his sales contact emailed me there was no mention of a free home unit.

The dealer also said we had to pay for the standard charging cable (which he eventually threw in for free if he could register the car a week early to get it in has January sales figures). I have however seen on the Mitsubishi website that the charging cable is included? I think you need your own alternative cable to plug into public charging points - is this correct? If so maybe it is this cable is has thrown in free.

Any help with info on the cables required and the charging pods would be appreciated.

The 13A cable is included with the car. Your dealer shouldn't have told you otherwise.

The home charger scheme pays for 75% or the purchase and installation cost up to a maximum of £900 inc VAT. The government has produced a list of companies that can install under the scheme, and give you advice. The full list is available at

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/369854/evhs-authorised-installers-list.pdf

The above may be true - i.e. the Gov pay 75%.
I don't know where the other 25% comes from but the quotes I had from several suppliers, and my final installation,
were FREE to me.

I'm not sure if Mitsubishi pay the other 25% ?

But for the grant they get and the cost of labour and materials the installation company could easily stand it.

hdasmith said:
I'm afraid ...
Don't be afraid, just use a current meter and see the few seconds delay between the moment you switch it on and the actual start of the charging.
hdasmith said:
Please change your switch as soon as you can.
Change a system that runs for 3 years flawless on a daily base?
Let me think about it...... Ahm... No. ;)

I suppose when everything is working correctly we don't need any safety devices.
The whole point is to protect people when something doesn't work as it should.
How often to miniature circuit breakers trip ?
Perhaps never, perhaps sometime.
But when they do it is because something has happened that didn't until then.

Back