Charging lead rainproof?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
anko said:
Daff said:
The stupidly short cable on the charger is still unexplained as far as I am concerned.
I have strong feeling you are not agreeing with the explanation given, but that is something else ;) Or do you really not believe that this is the reason for the short cable?

What I am saying is that if it is the reason, then I don't think it is a particularly good reason. My theory (wanting to keep the box close to the wall where it won't get run over) makes more sense to me. The short cable has some disadvantages, notably that people are tempted to dangle the box from the plug (UK building regs require most sockets to be much higher than the lead is long, so unless you happen to have a shelf next to the socket, as I do, or install a suspension hook, I bet quite a few are dangled.

I am curious to read the standard that you referred to.

Steve

Another thing that might influence the short cord is that they want to discourage laying the box on the ground outdoors where a puddle could form. The boxes seems to be IP rated for rain, not immersion.

Steve

Daff said:
I am curious to read the standard that you referred to.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEC_62196
Mode 2
This is a direct, semi-active connection of the EV to the AC mains, either 250 V 1-phase or 400 V 3-phase including earth at a maximum current of 32 A. There is a direct, passive connection from the AC mains to the EV supply equipment (EVSE), which must be part of, or situated within 0.3 metres (1.0 ft) of, the AC mains plug; from the EVSE to the EV, there is an active connection, with the addition of the control pilot to the passive components.[6] The EVSE provides protective earth presence detection and monitoring; ground fault, over-current, and over-temperature protection; and functional switching, depending on vehicle presence and charging power demand. Some protections must be provided by an SPR-PRCD conforming to IEC 62335 Circuit breakers - Switched protective earth portable residual current devices for class I and battery powered vehicle applications.

A possible example uses an IEC 60309 connector on the supply end, which is rated at 32 A. The EVSE, situated in-cable, interacts with the EV to indicate that 32 A can be drawn.

Thanks for posting it. It makes more sense than I first thought. The 30cm rule is to make it unlikely to have the unprotected cable being shut in a metal garage door, for example, damaging the insulation, and making the door live. And similar scenarios.

-- Steve

Daff said:
The short cable has some disadvantages, notably that people are tempted to dangle the box from the plug (UK building regs require most sockets to be much higher than the lead is long, so unless you happen to have a shelf next to the socket, as I do, or install a suspension hook, I bet quite a few are dangled.

As I have previously noted (and posted) not all PHEVs have the suspension cord (e.g. Mercedes) even if they still have the short lead, so that dangling is inevitable. :lol:

Damage by dangling is dependent on the solidity of the construction. The factory-supplied box does not score well on that aspect. Many third-party ones are much better built.

Back