Charging PHEV from a Tesla HPWC?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ultralights

from my research so far, the Tesla HPWC and the SAE1772 charging protocols are the same, as in a Tesla can recharge from a 1772 charger with an adaptor, but no such adaptor exists to charge a PHEv with a 1772 plug using a tesla HPWC, i have been looking into making an adaptor, and have seen posts from people who have done just that, until i had a thought..

The Australian delivered PHEV does NOT have a CHAdeMO charging point, instead has a blank plate.. like so
L7yANRCb.jpg

now, my line of thinking is, install a Tesla plug into the spot where a CHAdeMO plug would be installed in euro delivered PHEV's i am assuming the wiring would be a simple job, to connect the wiring from the newly installed tesla plug, directly onto the wiring behind the standard 1772 plug?

from my research on this, it should work, as both the tesla plug and charger use the same protocols as the 1772 system? and yes, i understand this will not work with the tesla Superchargers, only the 240V tesla wall chargers.

any other opinions, knowledge or thought on this?

I've wondered about this - the marina where we keep our boat and spend half our time has two Tesla chargers and no Teslas! Are they free to Tesla owners? As per the current Ecotricity thread, they would not make any sense if they are operated on a commercial basis.

Almost all the Tesla HPWC in Sydney and Australia are privately owned and operated, usually hotels, resorts, and tourist attractions, they are installed as a feature to get you to visit, so your not really getting a free charge from them if your a guest, or visiting. would be nice to be able to use them. i am hoping just connecting the wires at the back of a telsla plug, onto the back of the wiring for the 1772 will work

What about charging from a Tesla Model S - that could create some "interesting" conversations :)

Hmmm, bearing in mind the scandalous amount of money we pay the marina for the hole in the water where we park the boat, they could easily afford to give us a free charge a couple of times per week! I do often park in the spaces since the sign just says "Electric vehicles only" - but the connector is Tesla. I've never seen either of them in use - it's private parking and nobody here owns a Tesla...

Seems that there are adaptor cables available : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFEJyqGErag

Back