Tesla destination adapter - success reporting

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is probably not surprising to many here that a Tesla destination charging adapter that I purchased on Amazon works. It is an adapter that allows me to use Tesla destination chargers which are installed typically at hotels. There’s for example a nice hotel with a nice restaurant about 10 miles from here. These are not Chademo and are not Tesla superchargers, but they allow some flexibility.

Is it this one? https://www.amazon.ca/LENZ-Charging-Adapter-Certified-Compatible/dp/B07VR5QD56/ref=sr_1_5?crid=26ZH0AAV42MAM&keywords=tesla+destination+charger+adapter+to+j1778&qid=1671235665&sprefix=tesla+destination+charger+adapter+to+j1778%2Caps%2C227&sr=8-5
And you dont need a cable? The Destination chargers already have one?

I believe the Lenz Carmageddon has link-posted is likely the opposite of what is needed for an Outlander (that seems to be for a Tesla vehicle to a J1772 charger). Shame as that one is pretty cheap.
What I purchased and tested is the Lectron at $159 (“Lectron [Only for J1772 EVs Tesla to J1772 Charging Adapter, Max 48 Amp & 250V - Compatible with Tesla High Powered Connectors, Destination Chargers, and Mobile Connectors).” For this, the Tesla destination charger at the charger already has a long cable with the male end to use for a Tesla vehicle. You use the Lectron adapter to change the male end to the J1772 needed for the Outlander. Again this is not really fast charging, but it may well be a little faster than a J1772 - not sure if our Outlanders with their onboard can use the slightly extra amperage. I think, probably.

How many times would you need to use that to have it pay for itself? Maybe worth it if it's your only charging option, otherwise I can't see it. I'd imagine other EV owners don't like to see PHEVs taking up slots for hours either.

There’s a hotel/restaurant around here that has six Tesla destination chargers and two J1772. I don’t think the Tesla owners mind very much. It probably is not economically beneficial but anything that helps me stay away from a gas station is nice. I’ve been to a gas station only twice since I purchased this in July - the first on the hightway back from upstate New York. Both times the fuel tank was just a little less than 1/2 full.

You have to go every 90 days at least to "burn stale gas", so that's 4 times a year that you'll have to go...

Back