Claimed mpg

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martin0777

I've got a new outlander phev 16 plate.

I'm interested in how much people are getting from their Mit phev in eV mode.
Mine never claims a range of above 24 miles.
How does this compare with claimed 34 mile range that is claimed.

Welcome to the forum :).

I would suggest that you read up in older threads a bit. It must be one of the most discussed items.
Rather inconclusive, though, as the range is dependent on external circumstances (temperature, car load, traffic/road conditions, hills, tyre pressure, wind, the phase of the moon for all I know ;), etc.) and most of all on driving style.
Nor is the range indication very reliable to the extent of being called a guessometer.

You'll find that it is usually somewhat less than the ideal claimed.

Hi thanks for the reply. I'll take some time to read older posts. I find it quite interesting tho that mitsubishi claim 34 in the first place as other manufacturers such as BMW only claim 20 which is much more realistic.

Where are you? If in Northern Europe then the cold temperatures severely limit the battery performance. It will get better as the weather warms up. :D

Martin0777 said:
I'm in tropical Leeds. ;)

In that case the temperature will certainly be pulling your EV performance down a fair bit. In the summer I reckon on getting about 24 miles EV range in normal use but in the winter I'm happy to get 16.

I've had mine about a month, and my daily commute is 13 miles each way. Most of that is urban, and stop/start on a busy dual carriageway, with only a few miles where I can get up to about 60mph. At the moment I am managing to do most of that 26 miles on EV, with just the last few miles on the way home when the ICE kicks in. I'm pretty happy with that, bearing in mind that I never expected to get the claimed maximum distance shown in the advertising, and I also know from reading on here that it should improve further as the weather warms up.

Note that having the heating / Air Conditioning on brings that range down by several miles, so I am pre-heating in the morning before getting into the car.

I have also done the same journey outside of peak times, and that involves 18ish miles of free running dual carrigaeway. Doing that at 60mph also reduces the range, and I reckon I probably only get about 16-18 miles at that speed, compared to 24 when its stop start.

As others have said, the range is hugely dependent on conditions and how you drive it, but if you are expecting to get 34 miles from every full charge then you are going to be disappointed. In terms of the comparison with BMW who advertise 20 miles, I assumed that EV range claims were calculated under identical test conditions (in the same way all mpg calculations use a standard cycle) and should therefore be able to be used to draw comparisons between vehicles, even if the absolute figures for both are overstated in comparison to real world driving ?

I pretty nearly always get more than the initial predicted range although that has frequently been as low as 16 during the colder weather.

Suddenly jumped to 27 on Sunday although I thought it was still freezing and managed a 29 mile return between Chesterfield and The Tramway Museum in Crich with 4 above average weight adults and a plump 3 year old up and down some fairly serious hills in Derbyshire. Engine started briefly outbound going up a very steep hill and briefly on the way back when the battery was temporarily empty although after some regen it was again silenced and returned home on battery. MPG for the trip was around 200.

Highest predicted range seen when I first got the car last November was 36 and hoping to again soon if this place ever starts warming up!

Apart from all of the external factors including the type of terrain you're in JAAPV's point is perhaps most important. If you don't drive with an 'energy management mindset' you can forget getting even close to the predicted range. But with a little discipline using regen and coasting where appropriate and not accelerating up to red lights, T junctions, standing traffic and the like you can do better than the prediction even though it's supposed to model that based on your actual driving style history (it must be a bit slow on the uptake).

JimB

I started off this morning fully charged (?) showing 24 miles.
I returned home having covered 6.8 miles and the guessometer was showing 18 miles. This included one quarter mile steep hill which usually consumes TWO miles worth of juice and one steep but no so long downhill. So not too bad. Temp about 50f darn ere in sunny Darzet. I only bought my PHEV in November so am looking forward to see what the hot summer (??) weather does for battery performance.

For the last couple of months or so the car has suggested an EV range of 20/22 at the start of each day and given the cold and rain and the need for wipers, blowers, heaters etc that is pretty much what I have been getting. On Saturday it was a lovely day, really warm and sunny, so much so I had to open the sunroof and the EV range guess-ometer was suggesting 22 miles. However, I decided not to plug in between trips to see just how far I would get and at the end of the day I had covered 27 miles and the guess-omenter was suggesting another 1mile EV range left!

Sunday I got in the car and the guess-omenter was suggesting 26 miles EV range, but it was cold and raining again and I did a 22 mile trip and got back with 1mile EV range left! Yesterday when I got in the car the suggested range was back down to 22 miles EV range. I deliberately ran to the end of range on both days to see just how far I would get as the weather was totally different each day yet my journeys were almost exactly the same. If ever I needed proof that the weather is a major contributor to EV range, it was this weekend. I got the car in Sept, so not had a summer with it and I expect on the basis of this little test that the range suggested on the guess-ometer in the warmer weather will be closer, or indeed above, the figure suggested on Saturday - 26 miles, who knows, maybe even the 32 miles quoted by Mitsubishi when I bought it!

Martin0777 said:
Hi thanks for the reply. I'll take some time to read older posts. I find it quite interesting tho that mitsubishi claim 34 in the first place as other manufacturers such as BMW only claim 20 which is much more realistic.
But the range of those cars is at less than the factory claim as well, subject to driving conditions. They all use the same test cycle to arrive at the official range.

Back