Convince me on an Outlander PHEV (or tell me no!)

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, compared to a similar car at a similar price: The Ampera does the same, 0-100 in just over 10 secs and 168 max. And that for a lighter and sleeker car.
Obviously the Mercedes is faster, but the reason is a lighter wallet. If you really want to burn up tarmac use this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjqJ7Lrm36M

Thanks for all the replies on here I genuinely didn't expect much response!
Curious to know whether the more negative comments are around the original model rather than the recent facelift model?

I'm really torn at the minute between this and the C350E, I know they are completely different cars but I like the practically of having the SUV given I've got two kids growing up fast.

The commute side of driving doesn't worry me but occasionally (and probably most weekends in summer) we'd be hitting the motorways for days out. Anything up to an hours drive away or for our long weekends a good 300 mile round trip. I like to cruise at 80mph (I know I shouldn't be) but hate crawling along and don't want to be one of those tailgating a Caravan or Stobarts truck.

Build quality and the long distance driving are my two biggest concerns but if I'm able to drive whether a heavy foot every now and again and won't feeling like I'm killing the car if I did hit 90mph then I don't want it to feel like the car is falling apart around me (I've got the wife's Mini Cooper for that!)

I won't have access to a charge point at the office (at least for now) so would it make sense to save the battery for my motorway commute in clear traffic first thing, and then hit the ev mode when I reach the city, which will then hopefully get me back home on full ev at the end of the day..

Like one of the replies says, best tbing for me to do is take a test drive. Will the dealers let you take an extended test drive. Say for the most of a day so I can test out the various driving styles I tend to use?

Thanks to all for taking the time to reply to my posts.

I Like to be sat up a bit. Also getting in and out I find the seat is perfect height on the Outlander.

Mine at is a 2013 one and after driving premium brand cars all my life I have no complaints about build quality. It is more of an utilitarian car than a luxury one, but after 60.000 all parts are still solidly attached, I have no rattles and high-speed cruising is smooth - as smooth as any car I have driven. So no fears on that account. Don't expect wood veneer, although the 2016 one is somewhat upgraded in the premium feel department.

I am a high mileage 'road warrior' who has managed to cut down to 30,000 miles a year and have driven turbo diesels exclusively for 15 years - and I love my new PHEV!

On Wednesday I drove 250 miles in very variable weather, including a couple of downpours, and the car was stable, quiet, comfortable and as quick as necessary.

First part of the day - down the M1 and straight into Central London for 8am. Clear view, hit SAVE button to preserve battery for town use and 40mpg at Sat Nav (my trusty Garmin) accurate 70. Power pick up almost instant when needed on Motorway, but in town, absolutely no problems. Remember, you can only go as fast as the car in front, and if you are the car in front, no matter what the speed limit, you can stay there. To top it all, no congestion charge (you must register first) and FREE parking in Westminster!

Next part of the day took me to rural Kent near Canterbury - so out through South East London, 50 miles of motorway, then country A and B roads to my destination. Really enjoyed it, car holds the road well, again motorway driving quiet and composed, with and without cruise control on. The high driving position, nimble handling, and instant electric acceleration made the country part fun.

After that, back to the Excel Centre in Docklands. Again 'point and shoot' no problem and stealth mode in the car park was fun!

Finally, out of Docklands at 4.45pm, North Circular, M11, M25, A1 and country roads home. All very relaxing.

I am now of an age where warp speed and mega acceleration no longer interest me, but equally I don't hang about and this car is not stretched meeting those demands. It isn't the last word in trim quality but I have no doubt that it will all still be in one piece in 4 years.

I picked the 3+ because I hate leather seats but the simpler audio system is fine. The voice recognition software is fantastic and it has no problem with the 800 or so contacts in my Blackberry Passport.

All in all, learn to fast cruise not race, enjoy the view over the bonnet and internal space andI think you will love it too. But take a good test drive to be sure.

I think the biggest question to myself is can a 31 one year old who's enjoyed his 320D for the last two years, with a good solid relatively strong performance and guilty of a heavy foot make the switch to a big SUV, drive more sensibly and the get the best out of a PHEV.

Driving in this morning I was thinking to myself 'could I cut my speed and sit behind the car in front on the motorway and still enjoy driving'. I'm no fast and furious boy racer, but neither am I the 24/7 Sunday morning driver. And I'm getting the vibe that I need to be swinging more towards the latter with this car?!

PHEVundecided said:
I think the biggest question to myself is can a 31 one year old who's enjoyed his 320D for the last two years, with a good solid relatively strong performance and guilty of a heavy foot make the switch to a big SUV, drive more sensibly and the get the best out of a PHEV.

Driving in this morning I was thinking to myself 'could I cut my speed and sit behind the car in front on the motorway and still enjoy driving'. I'm no fast and furious boy racer, but neither am I the 24/7 Sunday morning driver. And I'm getting the vibe that I need to be swinging more towards the latter with this car?!

Forget PHEV and think SUV - why have you not considered Landrover Discoveries or Range Rover Evoques in the past? The PHEV is a hybrid equivalent of them - performance and handling is similar, fuel economy can be better depending on your pattern of usage. Given the usage you seem to describe, I doubt you are going to see the much trumpeted 150mpg - more likely something around 40mpg. A diesel SUV would give you similar - would you consider that? If not, then think twice before taking the PHEV.

maby said:
PHEVundecided said:

Forget PHEV and think SUV - why have you not considered Landrover Discoveries or Range Rover Evoques in the past? The PHEV is a hybrid equivalent of them - performance and handling is similar, fuel economy can be better depending on your pattern of usage. Given the usage you seem to describe, I doubt you are going to see the much trumpeted 150mpg - more likely something around 40mpg. A diesel SUV would give you similar - would you consider that? If not, then think twice before taking the PHEV.
Very well said!

PHEVundecided said:

I went from a 260hp Saab Aero to my first PHEV. As much as I appreciated the performance of the Aero I appreciate the relaxed drive in the PHEV. The family is much happier also just floating along in the PHEV. The back seat in the PHEV is nice for the kids since it's high up and visibility is great. In some "sportier" cars the back seat is low and visibility poor.

maby said:
PHEVundecided said:

The only reason I haven't considered those cars is due to lease costs (I'm looking for business lease). for the terms I need, I can get nowhere near to monthly price of the GX4H. (£420 a month + VAT)/

The second biggest reason is BIK, it would jump to mid-20's up from the 5/6% of a PHEV.

Get me in an Evoque for similar monthly cost and I'd be interested!

PHEVundecided said:

The only reason I haven't considered those cars is due to lease costs (I'm looking for business lease). for the terms I need, I can get nowhere near to monthly price of the GX4H. (£420 a month + VAT)/

The second biggest reason is BIK, it would jump to mid-20's up from the 5/6% of a PHEV.

Well, in that case, you may be happy with the PHEV. It will not be up to the same standard of construction as the Evoque, but performance and handling will be similar and the cost of ownership will be less - even if the fuel costs are not as dramatically less as some might lead you to expect.

PHEVundecided said:
maby said:
PHEVundecided said:

Well, compared to a 320d you lose just over one second 0-60 and gain a bit 60-100, so you won't be too put out, exept for maximum speed, as the PHEV is limited at 106.

I must have bought a Friday as my experience seems to differ from most here.

Acceleration off the mark, it's really quite slow. I'm not sure what other people have driver before but I find it too slow. When I floor it to make a gap, nothing happens for about a second then it moves off, a second is a long time. I have been travelling up a hill at 30 mph and put my foot to the floor and the car has no more power it just slows down. It is underpowered to point of being dangerous.

Build quality, it is shocking. The panel gaps on the drivers side are different from the passengers side. The interior trim where the glove box attached to the dash on the passenger side is coming away. There is plastic everywhere especially in the rear of the cabin. If you look at it the wrong way it scratches. It is the same with the boot where the incredibly flimsy boot cover rolls out to the rear window. Looks like a 10 year old car.

This is a brand new car. It is certainly not worth £40000 more like £20000.

When the engine is running there is a smell, like a burning clutch smell.

I'd buy anything other than a Mitsubishi again.

Well, I cannot find the acceleration off the mark @ 9.9 seconds (in real life, Mitsubishi claims a conservative second more, probably as they include the ICE startup, which does not occur when it is running) bad, nor overtaking (again, make sure the ICE is running when overtaking to avoid the hesitation) My last car was a Jaguar X-Type 2.2 Diesel (turbo)
As for gaps, on mine they are exactly the same on all the rest of the car. I know about gaps, I have been in clssic cars all my life. Yes, the plastic could be less scratchy, my idea as well, bu it does hold up well. Three dogs, skis thrown in, trips to the DIY shop for garden stuff and building materials, you name it. Since december 2013 and 60.000 Km, it still looks fine, no special scratches or scuffs. But then the Grey ones hold up best, I find.

Did you buy a "demo" that has been in a crash, by any chance?

I just had to go outside and examine the panel lines...trouble is I can only see one side at a time but short of getting my micrometer out they sure as heck look the same to me.

The plastic inside does scratch too easily, my wife has now been banned from attempting to access her 400 litre handbag whilst in the car!

Mine is a very smooth drive, the ice annoys me only in that it's usually so damned quiet that I have to have the EV power screen on to see when it sneaks in a bit of activity.

It is comfortable to travel in although I do find the steering just the slightest bit vague at times. There are no squeaks, rattles or other strange noises other when my wife is travelling in the boot so I can't hear her complaining about the lack of heating and so far I feel somehow short-changed as it has never smelt like an impending Lipo battery fire :eek:

Having spent a little time fiddling with the audio settings I frequently find myself surprised how good it sounds (and I do have a pretty good 7.1 Cinema Sound setup in the house).

The MMCS should default to the screen last or most often used - I agree with Carnut on that, for local driving I have little or no use for the satnav.

Despite reduced EV range due to the never ending low temps and a few longer trips with no charging prospects it's now up to 71mpg.

I find the acceleration excellent and not in the least worried that the top speed is electronically limited to 106 mph.

If I was travelling up a hill at 30 mph and put my foot down and noticed that the car was slowing down I would suspect I'd put my foot down on the wrong pedal or I hadn't plugged it in and it was out of petrol. Failing any of those it would be going back to the dealer.

Us Suzuki Burgman riders talk about 'the Burgman Grin' - you just can't stop doing it because the bike's that good.

Well, despite the minor niggles, I think there is a grave risk that the Outlander PHEV grin will soon break out and spread across the continent because using the car has that affect too.

...and I actually paid for mine.

Sorry Nik but I suspect it might actually be only you ;)

As for PHEVundecided, for the love of Pete go and look at one and get in and drive it!

JimB

Claymore said:
If I was travelling up a hill at 30 mph and put my foot down and noticed that the car was slowing down I would suspect I'd put my foot down on the wrong pedal or I hadn't plugged it in and it was out of petrol. Failing any of those it would be going back to the dealer.

Depends on the hill...

https://cyclingdynamics.files.wordpress.com/2013/10/cartoon3.gif

Claymore said:

Mine is a very smooth drive, the ice annoys me only in that it's usually so damned quiet that I have to have the EV power screen on to see when it sneaks in a bit of activity.

JimB

Enjoy it while it lasts! At 19,000 miles, my ICE is beginning to sound quite unpleasant when cold...

Back