Cornering Lights

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nij

Hi, I have been driving a PHEV since Jan 2015 when I took delivery of a new one. Overall I have been pretty pleased and impressed with the car but have one nagging question I can't seem to resolve. When I first had the car, I could swear that additional front lighting would come on when turning, so when turning, a supplementary front light would come on on the side you are turning towards, but only at lowish speed or I guess fairly tight turning angle. That no longer happens - it stopped about 6 months into the use of the car and I have never found a way to get it to work again. As I live on a dark lane with tight bends, this feature was really useful. Would love to reinstate it if possible.

Can anyone advise?

Nij

Not a feature I've ever seen on ours which is a late 2015 4h UK spec.

Thanks for the reply - Yes mine is UK, late 2014 or early 2015 spec. That reply makes it even odder - definitely was happening and my wife also commented on the feature. Either that or it was a peculiar fault that caused the turn side 'driving light' to come on when turning the steering wheel.

Mine is a Sep 14 4H, and there's definitely no mechanism for moving the lights - no mention of it in the manual either. Very strange.

If the lights were swivelling on the horizontal, maybe you were driving in the twilight zone :lol: Was there any change on the vertical as well?

Seriously, I also have a late 2014 model and definitely don't have (and never have had) this feature

No you are misunderstanding me. The lights didn't move, just the one on whichever side I was turning towards would come on as an additional light on that side whilst cornering at low speed (and therefore significant steering turn). I was very impressed, showed friends and family this nifty feature and found the feature very useful...and then it stopped and have never managed to get it to work again. Now I am beginning to think it was a wiring fault that gave the impression of a great feature. But it worked always at <20mph and always on the side turning into, where the headlight beams may not effectively light the 'turned into' path ahead. I have witnesses - I am not going mad! :shock:

I recall reading that the headlights had wide spread beams on both sides to improve vision around bends but don't recall any mention of other lights coming on/off in response to steering. I'm sure mine, early 2015 build, doesn't do that.

If you have cornering lights, you would have additional bulbs in the headlight assembly. I've never seen this on an Outlander but my old insignia had this and it was an excellent feature.

I had this feature on my Mokka, it's the fog light that comes on when turning at slow speed. Lots of cars seem to have it these days but not the Outlander as far as I can see.

I read the first post in this thread and became excited that there may be a feature of my car that I hadn't discovered!

It seems not, but I am curious as to what the OP was experiencing!

DavidWh said:
I had this feature on my Mokka, it's the fog light that comes on when turning at slow speed. Lots of cars seem to have it these days but not the Outlander as far as I can see.

Ah yes, I was forgetting the more common fog light bodge. My old insignia had a seperate bulb in each headlight which actually threw the light 90 degrees and therefore actually lit the turn fully.

Back