Cost of charging using the engine

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pvtsnapper

I am receiving my 2016 Outlander today and am of course understandably excited!My question is at the moment living in London with no off street parking and having to run a cable across the pavement,how expensive is it to charge the battery by running the engine and how much petrol does it use?

The dealer tells me it uses very little and will charge to 80% compacity.

Thanks in advance

The dealer tells me it uses very little and will charge to 80% compacity.

it actually says it somewhere in the manual. About 3 litres, if I remember correctly. So it is not real cheap to do it that way.

It will always be more efficient to run it (more or less) directly on petrol in hybrid mode. That way the storage loss will be reduced. When running faster in parallel mode the conversion loss of petrol to electricity will be part-avoided as well.
Charging by running the engine is the least efficient way. Btw, you are not going to leave it in the street with the engine running in London I suppose?

[/quote] Btw, you are not going to leave it in the street with the engine running in London I suppose?[/quote]

Quick way to get it run in without much personal effort.........

Just press the charge button when you are on longer journeys and the engine will boost the battery as it powers in hybrid or parallel modes.

Back