Default regen braking

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidWh

Is it possible to change the default setting for the regenerative braking? It always seems to go back to B2 and I have to manually set it to B5, my preferred setting.

Thanks

Regulo said:
Nope. We are all slaves to Mitsubishi's engineers. :D. I think I've nearly worn out the left paddle, setting mine back to B5.

Why don't you just push the gear stick back twice..... saves wear on the paddles.

I kind of wish there was a better reminder what its set on, I love B5 in a lot of town conditions, I don't find it too strong so people are caught out behind me but by leaving good space in-front it does make for some effortless driving.

My problem is forgetting when on the motorway, if B5 is left on for a long trip it needlessly makes your foot tired as you naturally have to keep it more tense and precise with more slight adjustments. B2 is fine on the motorway with bigger gaps and is so much smoother.

Just got my PHEV a few weeks ago and it defaults to B3 for regen braking. Also, my dealer mentioned that if you want the vehicle to run purely on EV you need to set the regen braking lower than B3. Tested the other day and when I set it to B3 the engine periodically comes on when driving but when I set to B2 it does not. Anyone else notice that?

brian0125 said:
Just got my PHEV a few weeks ago and it defaults to B3 for regen braking. Also, my dealer mentioned that if you want the vehicle to run purely on EV you need to set the regen braking lower than B3. Tested the other day and when I set it to B3 the engine periodically comes on when driving but when I set to B2 it does not. Anyone else notice that?
If you are referring to the new model then it seems to depend on the battery state of charge. I've found that if you are below around 60% charge then you will get the following regen values with B settings without the engine having to start:
B5 = 32 kW regen
B4 = 24 kW
B3 = 20 kW
B2 = 12 kW
B1= 4 kW
When brakes are applied you get full deflection to indicate 40 kW.
So if the engine is coming on for you with B3 then the battery capacity might be above what it needs to accept 20 kW of regen. Mitsubishi is using the Engine to add the drag required to match what would normally be felt at those regen values.
The older Outlander PHEV did not use the running engine as a brake.

I think this is a good change by Mitsubishi.

On my car, you can suddenly 'run out' of regenerative braking, the first time this happened to me, I was a long way down a steep descent, and it felt like the brakes had failed.

Having the car switch modes to 'engine braking' under those circumstances is clever engineering.

When I picked up my PHEV my dealer told me that if I set the regen to B2 or lower the gas engine will not come on. He said if I set it higher then the gas engine will come on periodically. I set it to B3 and the engine did come on periodically. Anyone else notice this?

I do not understand why a number of people prefer to set their regen braking to B5? When you set the braking at this level the gas engine periodically comes on during normal driving. If you set the regen level at b2 or less the gas engine will not come on. I prefer to save fuel and run on EV only

brian0125 said:
I do not understand why a number of people prefer to set their regen braking to B5? When you set the braking at this level the gas engine periodically comes on during normal driving. If you set the regen level at b2 or less the gas engine will not come on. I prefer to save fuel and run on EV only
I don't have an 2023 model but 2018 and not sure regarding this regenerative braking engine cycle exactly but modern engines with injectors do not use fuel during negative load cycles.
The generator is turning the engine like an air compressor just to dissipate energy without fuel being supplied to it.
If the engine continue working after the braking is over that's a waste of fuel already.

From what I understand, the initial running for regen air pump braking continues to run on to heat the oil for frequent use in that mode.

JohanvdH said:
I always use B5 and the ICE does not start while driving.
They are talking about 2023 model.
Mitsu have implemented a different strategy on that vehicle... I am glad that will never own one. Previous generation is much better by my opinion.

brian0125 said:

Setting regen to B3 and above turns on the ICE only if the battery is above 60%, but in this case the ICE turns on only to activate the generator, so the extra charge from B3+ that the battery can't "absorb" at this charge level powers the generator as waste energy.

Back