Did someone try to setup a repeater to enhance WLAN range?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have this at home and it has worked flawlessly for 2 months. Should be ok at work?

t seems that the wifi is weaker when trying to transmit on the drivers side. Unfortunately that is the side that points towards my house when I have it on charge in the carport. Thought i would try one of these cheap repeaters (£17).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00E ... ge_o01_s00

Took 5 minutes to read the instructions and 2 minutes to set up. Just locate it as close to the car as you can. You then connect your device (iPhone etc) to the repeater and not the car. I can now pick this up throughout the house.

Link doesn't work.
But it's good to know that the concept can work.
The gadget you try to link to, isn't a special device in any kind? Just a repeater?

I used the TP Link that someone else suggested and it initially seemed to work OK - but after a week or two, the car's entire wifi locked up to the extent that I could not connect to it with or without the repeater switched on. At first I thought I was going to have to take it back to the dealer, but I subsequently found the instructions for reinitialising the wifi and, many button clicks later, I was able to connect again. I haven't tried it again since.

Sorry to part-hijack the thread, but as a matter of interest, what range are people getting with the standard wi-fi? I turned my pre-heat on last week from my cousin's bay window, with the car about 70 metres away. Took a couple of attempts to hook up, but it worked. At home I can connect to the car from my living room through a stud wall, the outside house wall, across 20 metres of air and through a single brick garage wall, with no problems. Is this about right, or have I got a particularly good one?

Regulo said:
Sorry to part-hijack the thread, but as a matter of interest, what range are people getting with the standard wi-fi? I turned my pre-heat on last week from my cousin's bay window, with the car about 70 metres away. Took a couple of attempts to hook up, but it worked. At home I can connect to the car from my living room through a stud wall, the outside house wall, across 20 metres of air and through a single brick garage wall, with no problems. Is this about right, or have I got a particularly good one?

I think it depends to a large extent on how the car is oriented relative to you. The WLAN antenna is apparently located in the passenger door pillar (with reference to a RHD vehicle) and this seems to result in a significantly asymmetric coverage. Standing to the left of the car and at ground level, I seem to get a good range - moving to the right and, potentially, above it, the range is reduced - the roof and body work of the car is pretty opaque to microwave radio signals.

maby said:
The WLAN antenna is apparently located in the passenger door pillar (with reference to a RHD vehicle) and this seems to result in a significantly asymmetric coverage. Standing to the left of the car and at ground level, I seem to get a good range
Is that the same location in the cars produced for the people who drive on the right side of the road (it's called "right side" for a reason ;) )

Kim said:
maby said:
The WLAN antenna is apparently located in the passenger door pillar (with reference to a RHD vehicle) and this seems to result in a significantly asymmetric coverage. Standing to the left of the car and at ground level, I seem to get a good range
Is that the same location in the cars produced for the people who drive on the right side of the road (it's called "right side" for a reason ;) )

Not sure, but I believe it is the same - your manual should make it clear.

And, by the way, given that the majority of the population is right handed, it makes slightly more sense to drive on the left than the right - think about it... In a manual, at least, the driver of a RHD car will be steering with their dominant hand when they are changing gear. The driver of a LHD manual car will be steering with their less able car while changing gear!

Back