Driving in B5 mode

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nick2b

Other than the increased engine braking, are there any other disadvantages of driving in B5 mode?

the increased regen braking is an advantage IMO :D
The other potential downside is average Joe Public driving into the back of you as you slow down without brake lights and they concentrate on their smartphone / music / passengers / anything but the road ahead.

it can also make the journey a little more jerky for passengers I suppose.

Its also ineffective with a near full charged battery so if you get used to keeping in B5 you will notice a lack of deceleration when first setting off with charged battery

Anyone else have any disadvantages?

Not gliding (using no ice or battery) and using that speed you've built up more effectively than converting it back to battery and then using it again with losses left right and centre...
The car is so heavy it will glide nicely in B0 on the flat, up to the crest of a hill, into a 30 limit, along to a junction. On downhills a higher B setting is usually advisable ;)
H

One thing I do find frustrating (unless I'm being thick), is you have to reset the 'B' setting on every trip.

My driving is all country lanes and up and down mountains, I find in B5 mode I rarely need to use my brake and given the lack of traffic, hopefully slight chance of being rear-ended!

Yes, it resets every time you go to P, N or D.
When you set off from P I think you can go straight to B using the 'gear lever' by going down, I say 'think' because that's 2nd hand info, I don't do it.
Also, when in any B setting (0 thru 5) you can pull and hold the right regen lever and it goes into D.
Going into cruise control automatically moves it to B2 (same value as when in D) no matter what setting you were in.

Jerky progress would be my opinion.
B can only be selected once you have selected D with the lever.
First pull give B3 - second pull moves up to B5

In D you have equivalent of B2
I usually use B2 or B3 on urban roads and B1 or B0 on open dual carriageway or M roads.

Can't really see the point of the B3/B5 settings via the joystick - I find it easier to work up and down with the paddles. If you're decelerating (say going down hill under a speed limit) then progressively working through in single stages is smoother and, of course, you can go back up again, whereas the joystick only goes one way. If you need to change speed quickly then that's what the brakes are for :roll:

Back