Dyno graph of Outlander PHEV

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vtechtuning

Mitsubishi_outlander_PHEV_dyno_graph_1.jpg

Nm, HP vs speed in kmh, engine+motor power (not on wheels).

I have repeated measurement 3 times, battery full. No differences. Exact same graph (sometimes slightly earlier switches to parallel hybrid).

I practice however, the car remains quick on the Autobahn right up to the speed limit @ 170, pulling away from cars on your back with ease.
Having driven quite a bit through Germany I cannot confirm this conclusion.

Very cool stuff, vetch. Thanks for sharing.

Couple of remarks / questions:

Interesting to compare them with http://www.myoutlanderphev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=23697#p23697. I see a similar dent (when you reach the limit of what the battery can supply) but at a lower speed. Was this an MY16 model? If the E-motors produce more torque it would exaplain why you hot the battery limit at a lower speed.

Did you do this in Charge mode (engine pre-started)?

Any idea how much time between pushing the throttle and actual take off?

You say it is "not on wheels". But especially as you used a dyno, I would expect "on wheels" values. So, if not "on wheels", what values are these and how did you get to those? Or did you use the dyno just as a safe place to 'drive' fast and extract values from the OBDII port, like I did on the road?

It seems as you have added up torque from engine and that of both E-motors (getting to a total of almost 500 Nm). But in serial mode, any torque produced by the engine will be converted to torque at the E-motors, so you cannot add these three together. This would match up to your "not on wheels" statement, but for your total horse power you are not doing up horse power from engine and both E-motors. Can you shed some more light on what each of the traces represent exactly?

Maybe a stupid question, but what is the third, lowest line in your graph?

Thanks again.

Below is a link from video from this test. This particular test starts at 2:30 and it was a second run. During first run I did a mistake with switching to Neutral, because I did not know, that I should have kept knob at N position for 2 seconds, and I did it too shortly. That altered the result.

About measurement:

If the car runs with all additional systems off (A/C off, heating off etc), to find the power of the engine/s it is enough to run it to max speed and then switch to Neutral, and let the dyno to find power losses for rolling tires, unpowered motors, other rotating elements. This is that third, lowest line at graph.
Sum of power at wheels and power losses gives us power of engine + motors.
Wheelpower is a gap between power of engine curve and power loss curve.

Engine was running. First run was with mistake. Second run starts at 2:30. Axis were connected mechanically by dyno clutch (external clutch).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=pvPAQi5uDhU

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/pvPAQi5uDhU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I sense there is a lot of useful and interesting data here, but would someone mind summarising what it means in terms of applying it to real driving techniques? Does it means its better to drive at where the graph is at its peak?

Thanks
mark

Memeny said:
Does it means its better to drive at where the graph is at its peak?
The graph says no such thing. It only tells you how much power / torque there is available by various speeds. But speed is usually dictated by traffic conditions, how much rush you are in, etc. So, there is not much you can do with this. It would be different if we had gears to choose from and the graph would show us how much power we would have at various speeds in various gears. Then it could help us select the proper gear. But this does not apply to us.

vtechtuning said:
switch to Neutral, and let the dyno to find power losses for rolling tires, unpowered motors, other rotating elements. This is that third, lowest line at graph.

I think that the PHEV provides a small amount of power (say 3kW) to the E-motors in Neutral to avoid them slowing the PHEV, right Anko?

zzcoopej said:
vtechtuning said:
switch to Neutral, and let the dyno to find power losses for rolling tires, unpowered motors, other rotating elements. This is that third, lowest line at graph.

I think that the PHEV provides a small amount of power (say 3kW) to the E-motors in Neutral to avoid them slowing the PHEV, right Anko?
Depends on speed, but I am pretty sure there is a speed at which it is 3 kW. Must say, I never check in Neutral, only when coasting on B0.

Back