Eco versus Normal drive modes?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwcltd

I've used both modes on a standardised route and can't see any difference in the range. Eco mode seems to reduce the available power but whats the point if it does nothing to the range?

It dampens down the reactions of the car on ACC somewhat. And economizes on AC and heating, more or less. The accelerator reacts a bit more sluggish, but the impact is minimal.

Don't mind the protection against unwanted aircon activation but otherwise what happens is no difference to the range and great anxiety that Anko has managed to sneak up and hook his caravan on the back.

It's like driving with the brakes on with no apparent reward.

JimB

Claymore said:
... but otherwise what happens is no difference to the range and great anxiety that Anko has managed to sneak up and hook his caravan on the back.
Out of curiosity, how does that translate to plain English ... uh Dutch? I sincerely do no know how to read this. Silly continental... :oops:

anko said:
Claymore said:
... but otherwise what happens is no difference to the range and great anxiety that Anko has managed to sneak up and hook his caravan on the back.
Out of curiosity, how does that translate to plain English ... uh Dutch? I sincerely do no know how to read this. Silly continental... :oops:

Ah - he's speaking Double Dutch :lol: I think he means is that the car seems so slow that it is as though he is towing something.

BTW if Claymore finds the car sluggish in ECO mode then I better not turn it off because the throttle response scares me as it is :oops:

What I was trying to say was that if 'ECO Mode' contributes anything positive to the driving experience then I'm a Dutchman!

:)

If I was talking double Dutch, I apologise.

If only I had the faintest idea what any of these things mean :?

JimB

Claymore said:
What I was trying to say was that if 'ECO Mode' contributes anything positive to the driving experience then I'm a Dutchman!

:)

If I was talking double Dutch, I apologise.

If only I had the faintest idea what any of these things mean :?

JimB
Well, I am a Dutchman, and to me it contributes very little. It could be an ideal EV-priority button, but unfortunately, it isn't. :(

cwcltd said:
I've used both modes on a standardised route and can't see any difference in the range. Eco mode seems to reduce the available power but whats the point if it does nothing to the range?

All the above reactions are true, but not really complete. Eco mode indeed does something to throttle response (max output it not influenced, I think) and ACC acts different. But ECO button can be very useful when the outside temperature is < 10 and you don't want to use the engine for heating, but you do want some heating (other than the bum or hand roasters). This is what I do:

1. Make sure you put all heating off before starting or at the end of a previous ride, or put it on 15 degrees;
2. Start the car (engine doesn't start, obviously);
3. Press eco button;
4. Use heater (and in this case it will only be the electrical heater).

I know this works when the heater is not set immediately to, for instance 25 degrees. But I does make the morning ride comfortable AND silent (and environmental friendly). I'm not sure if this will work on all casus, but so far it does for me.

ANKO,
.. Maar voor de rest wat er gebeurt is geen verschil voor het bereik en de grote angst dat Anko is erin geslaagd om sneak up en haak zijn caravan op de rug.

I have the impression that selecting ECO mode reduces the frequency of starting the engine in response to demand for acceleration. Without ECO selected and with a full battery in reasonably warm weather, I generally find that the car claims that I'm getting about 95% EV operation round town. Pressing ECO gets it a lot closer to 100%

I don't think the ECO button makes any difference to overall economy, not in my pattern of usage anyway.

I have mentioned this before on another thread though that I do actually think it has another use. By reducing throttle response it can make for a much smoother drive in stop/start traffic. Try it! :D

Carnut said:
ANKO,
.. Maar voor de rest wat er gebeurt is geen verschil voor het bereik en de grote angst dat Anko is erin geslaagd om sneak up en haak zijn caravan op de rug.
<WINCE> Another reason to use Google Translate in dire emergencies only...

Back