Economy 7

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chindley

Thinking of switching to Economy 7 electric. I've found some cheap quotes of 6.8p pkwh for night use and 12.6 for day. 12.6p pkwh is what I'm paying now with First utility for day and night use. I spoke to First Utility about switching but they were totally uninterested. Does anyone else have Economy 7 and is it worth trying to get a supplier to fit a new Eco 7 meter. Saving another 60p per day on charging costs must be worth it. :?

I'd discounted economy 7 myself as our daytime usage is high but that seems like a pretty decent quote - I'd be interested in that myself, who is the supplier if you don't mind?

I've just arranged a switch to them (having first had my existing supplier change my meter to one that meters day and night-time rates - so that I can switch to Economy 7). I recommend registering first with Quidco and then going through a comparison site - that should give you at least £15 cashback on the change of electricity suppliers. Another supplier worth considering is Ecotricity (who do the currently free access charging network) because they offer an extra discount for electric car owners.

BG engineer pointed out to me that Economy 7 could not be used because the O2 phone signal would be dropping out and wherever it sends a signal would think the charger was continually up and done, therefore Ec 7 is not an option.

Endeavor - BG fitted ours, but seemed to be under the impression we would be charging during the day on our PV panels ;)

I didn't correct them, or mention that on dull days & in winter we would use Eco7 ! :lol:

endeavour said:
BG engineer pointed out to me that Economy 7 could not be used because the O2 phone signal would be dropping out and wherever it sends a signal would think the charger was continually up and done, therefore Ec 7 is not an option.
Hi,
I think he is wrong. At work we have Eco 7 which does indeed switch off the storage heaters during peak period but we also have the "normal" feed that is on 24/7 and simply charges at a different rate during off peak.

If it worked as the BG guy suggests, the charging point would be powered off except during the night, so you couldn't charge your car during the day even at weekends.

I'm considering Eco 7 too in due course.

Kind regards,
Mark

Although I have EDF's ECO 20:20 tariff rather than standard Economy 7 (gives cheap rate all weekend) I'm pleased to report that having had the car now for 3 months, my monthly direct debit has not risen after I put in the meter readings on-line today. As I have only filled the car 3 times with petrol in that time and done 1200 miles overall, I'm well pleased :mrgreen:

avensys said:
endeavour said:
Hi,
I think he is wrong. At work we have Eco 7 which does indeed switch off the storage heaters during peak period but we also have the "normal" feed that is on 24/7 and simply charges at a different rate during off peak.

If it worked as the BG guy suggests, the charging point would be powered off except during the night, so you couldn't charge your car during the day even at weekends.

Kind regards,
Mark

Yes I agree.

There is dual circuit Econ 7 as you say but also two rate tariffs that just charge different rates at different times one the houses single all over supply, designed I suppose for homes with timer controlled storage heaters that didn't have the dual circuit put in originally. My one Scottish power is doing a fixed to Feb. 2016 rate at 12.282p/5.229p
which is tempting as it would be easy enough to program charging for the night.

But we use far more elsewhere during day/afternoon than night time apart from the PHEV and I have worked out it would be better in the long run for us to go on their 10.625p single rate.

Hi,
Sainsburys Energy have just released a better deal of 8.9p per unit single rate. I use MoneySavingExpert Energy Club.
Kind regards,
Mark

avensys said:
Hi,
Sainsburys Energy have just released a better deal of 8.9p per unit single rate. I use MoneySavingExpert Energy Club.
Kind regards,
Mark

Really good deal, it seems the gas price on that tariff will drop end of Feb. again even after you sign up which is good.

My only problem is a penalty until March.

avensys said:
Hi,
Kind regards,
Mark

Really? I just went to the Sainsburys Energy web page, plugged in my postcode and was quoted 15.17p/kWh TCR!

It ask for post code and is sub contracted to British gas so I guess it depends where you live?

===========================================
GAS
Tariff Information Label (TIL)

Supplier Sainsbury's Energy
Tariff name Fixed Price February 2016
Tariff type fixed
Payment method Monthly Direct Debit
Standard unit rate 3.2p per kWh
Standing charge 26p per day
Tariff ends on 29/02/2016
Price guaranteed until 29/02/2016
Exit fees (if you change supplier before the end date) £30 per fuel
Discounts & additional charges £15 annual discount when you have both gas and electricity with us[1]
Additional products or services included Not applicable

Other offers may be available with this tariff. For details of our full range of offers please visit sainsburysenergy.com.
===========================================
ELECTRICITY
Tariff Information Label (TIL)

Supplier Sainsbury's Energy
Tariff name Fixed Price February 2016
Tariff type fixed
Payment method Monthly Direct Debit
Standard unit rate 8.88p per kWh
Standing charge 26p per day
Tariff ends on 29/02/2016
Price guaranteed until 29/02/2016
Exit fees (if you change supplier before the end date) £30 per fuel
Discounts & additional charges £15 annual discount when you have both gas and electricity with us[1]
Additional products or services included Not applicable

Other offers may be available with this tariff. For details of our full range of offers please visit sainsburysenergy.com.

maby said:
avensys said:
Hi,
Kind regards,
Mark

Really? I just went to the Sainsburys Energy web page, plugged in my postcode and was quoted 15.17p/kWh TCR!
Hi,
I tend to ignore the TCR which I think includes the daily charge. If you put your actual use into the Energy Club, it will give all the suppliers along with their best deal and Sainsburys is the best and it is 8.9p per unit. Sainsburys will also let you change to a better deal with them, without penalty, if they bring a better one out. This is my third switch with them. You should also get £30 for changing.
Kind regards,
Mark

I'm using FlowEnergy.
See http://www.flowenergy.uk.com/home-energy/our-tariffs/price-plans/
Look at Economy 7 under Thames Tariff - just their name - you can get it anywhere.
Our whole house 'goes onto' the cheap rate at night. So a timer is required to switch the charging station on and off.
I can't see a problem with it going off. When it was installed it required it's own mains switch because my consumer unit didn't have a spare fuse. The engineer said that I could switch it off with this switch when not in use.
I think that the data link is just to gather usage figures for feedback to the government. It is part of the agreement of having a grant funded charging point.

avensys said:
endeavour said:
Hi,

Kind regards,
Mark

I put storage heater in a property many years ago with an Economy7 supply.
The heaters went on circuits that were switched on for the 7 hours.
The rest of the house was normally wired but separate from the heaters.
The whole house - heaters and normal circuits benefited from the cheaper electricity at night.

My current house has an Economy 7 meter and the whole house benefits from the cheap electricity at night. I don't have storage heaters. So washing machines, dishwahers, car charging etc are all on timers to benefit from the cheap electricity from 12.30 to 7.30 Standard Time

We with with EDF and already had Economy 7 have recently changed to First Utility and E7 is about 6.9p inc vat and the day rate is 11.364p inc vat it means a normal overnight charge is about 60p I havent found how to delay charging to E7 times kicks in about 11:40
pm and is a pain to turn on then does anybody know how to do this on a GX3H ? We sometimes charge from solar panels for free so this helps during the day only had the car for 5 days so still learning

dave336d said:
We with with EDF and already had Economy 7 have recently changed to First Utility and E7 is about 6.9p inc vat and the day rate is 11.364p inc vat it means a normal overnight charge is about 60p I havent found how to delay charging to E7 times kicks in about 11:40
pm and is a pain to turn on then does anybody know how to do this on a GX3H ? We sometimes charge from solar panels for free so this helps during the day only had the car for 5 days so still learning

You can get plug-in timers that go between a standard 3 pin socket and the car's lead but not if you are using the type 1/2 lead.

I have had my PHEV for a month now, i am with British Gas for electricity, prior to having my fixed charge point fitted, i contacted BG to enquire about economy 7 rate(s).
I was on a fixed rate, day/night of 14.4p per KW/h
i was told initially that i could not use economy 7for EV charging and that it was for storage heating only.

I argued this point and demanded they send me that in writing, i was passed onto a 'supervisor' who confirmed i was correct about the econony 7 option being OK for EV charging.
I was then offered (reluctantly) the economy 7 rate of :
17.5p per Kw/h for day rate and
4.6p perKw/h night rate (00.30 - 08.30)

a HUGE saving for charging the PHEV,works out at about 45p per night to charge...
i also have the dishwasher and washing machine now on timer switches too so they can be run cheaper.

Don't be put off by the customer service staff, if they won't help you, move supplier.

Back