Error; reduced propulsion power / EV system maintenance rq

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You cannot 'flip into neutral' on this car. In fact you have to hold the selector for several seconds to select neutral from drive whilst driving - try it.

I do not find 85mph an uncomfortable speed or unreasonable speed to cruise at on autobahns.

As I said, jumping to defend rather than discussing the shortcomings. Oh well :roll:

On a European car, you should be able to cruise at autobahn speeds, 140 ish kmh. This car cannot do it under even modest load.

itserve said:
You cannot 'flip into neutral' on this car. In fact you have to hold the selector for several seconds to select neutral from drive whilst driving - try it.

I do not find 85mph an uncomfortable speed or unreasonable speed to cruise at on autobahns.

As I said, jumping to defend rather than discussing the shortcomings. Oh well :roll:

On a European car, you should be able to cruise at autobahn speeds, 140 ish kmh. This car cannot do it under even modest load.
Hmm.. Mine can- :roll: effortlessly... And does - often... It seems to me that you are addressing a shortcoming that does not exist...

And it is all too easy on a LHD car to rest your knee against the "gear" switch and push it into neutral. (On a RHD car your passenger can do it...)

itserve said:
See Jaapv's comment. You wouldn't be the first to whom it happened.
itserve said:
But did you take that into consideration when you decided to ditch your XC90 and buy an 1800 kg SUV with a 120 bhp engine instead? It appears to me you did not. Or you have made your decision based on false assumptions. IMHO, the problem you describe is not with the car, but with you making a wrong decision. But that problem does not necessarily affect others. And this is why people defend the car.
itserve said:
On a European car
:eek:
itserve said:
... you should be able to cruise at autobahn speeds, 140 ish kmh. This car cannot do it under even modest load.
According to others it can, but even when it can not, a roof box is NOT a modest load.

anko said:
itserve said:
See Jaapv's comment. You wouldn't be the first to whom it happened.
itserve said:
But did you take that into consideration when you decided to ditch your XC90 and buy an 1800 kg SUV with a 120 bhp engine instead? It appears to me you did not. Or you have made your decision based on false assumptions. IMHO, the problem you describe is not with the car, but with you making a wrong decision. But that problem does not necessarily affect others. And this is why people defend the car.
itserve said:
On a European car
:eek:
itserve said:
... you should be able to cruise at autobahn speeds, 140 ish kmh. This car cannot do it under even modest load.
According to others it can, but even when it can not, a roof box is NOT a modest load.

Fine with me. Continue denying the shortcomings of the car you decided to buy, like I did, indeed. But how does that help others make an informed choice? The Outlander PHEV is sold on the merits of two high powered electric motors as well as the petrol motor. Nobody informs potential buyers about its limitations.

Your dealer should - based on all the documentation provided by Mitsubishi..
In your place I would have bought a Porsche Panamera.

This car was never meant to be an Autobahn cruiser. The fact that it does rather well in this discipline - cruising indefinitely at speeds up to 140/150 Kph with plenty of acceleration reserve and at reasonable economy whilst remaining silent and comfortable- is a bonus.

Hi all,
If You want to be able to cruise all day long at high speed, just charge the car before leaving home, then with 20 or 25 kms EV remaining, push the SAVE button and enjoy.
I do that for every highway trip and no problem, even at Panamera's speeds.

Phev64 said:
Hi all,
If You want to be able to cruise all day long at high speed, just charge the car before leaving home, then with 20 or 25 kms EV remaining, push the SAVE button and enjoy.
I do that for every highway trip and no problem, even at Panamera's speeds.
300 Km/h?? :eek: :eek: :eek:

itserve said:
Fine with me. Continue denying the shortcomings of the car you decided to buy, like I did, indeed. But how does that help others make an informed choice? The Outlander PHEV is sold on the merits of two high powered electric motors as well as the petrol motor. Nobody informs potential buyers about its limitations.

What shortcomings? The experiences you have described seem unique to you - surely you are the one in denial. Either you have a rogue car (like gwatpe) or you are using the car in a different way to most of us.

I don't remember any promotion material in UK that imagined the car as a high speed powerful tourer (unlike say current Jag adverts) but have to admit you may have been misled by the dealer who only had (and probably still has) a limited understanding of what they are selling - mine certainly knew less about the car than I did. :eek:

I guess an important question to ask the OP is, what was the battery indicator showing at the time the car seemed to lose power? Maybe, Where was the power meter reading during the bulk of the trip?

I know that my latest PHEV, now 36000km, easily does 170kph and will accelerate to the max in style. It will not do it for a full tank of petrol though, or if the battery is depleted. Any other car will only give maximum performance as long as all energy sources are available, even if it is only petrol in the tank of a typical car. Both reserves have to be available in the PHEV

The roof bars add approx 0.5L/100km to petrol consumption. A roof box would be much more.

The PHEV is not marketed as a race car. The Autobahn seems to be a unique scenario and a driver will need to find the best fit of their PHEV to it.

No, it will not do 170 indefinitely, although I read one claim of somebody who ran from Amsterdam to Berlin with the pedal floored ( I don't believe it, there are long stretches of 130 Kph there.)
But full load, roof box and 130/140 Kph (depending on traffic) for 1250 Km I can vouch for. It will use about 11-12L/100Km in that scenario.

Phev64 said:
f You want to be able to cruise all day long at high speed, just charge the car before leaving home, then with 20 or 25 kms EV remaining, push the SAVE button and enjoy.
If you can maintain a high speed all day long with Save than you can without Save as well :geek:

Back