EV ONLY MODE

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
chasingamy said:
I do hope MMC develop and retrograde this into the ECO button, but I have it now and it took all of 10 minutes.

I am not sure I will try your trick,
but I still do hope MMC will do something about it.

I still expect that the US version, due next year,
will have the RV only mode
and that it will be possible to get the upgrade for our cars,
once it is tested and validated for the Amis.

anko said:
I've done three 'stints' without the fuse. In all there of them, the warning lights came on within about 10 seconds ofI flooring it. Definitely no heater or aircon on, so can only be related to power demand for driving. And it kind a makes sense. The electronics want to fire up the engine and it fails. Why would it matter what the reason for firing up the engine was?

You sure you have pushed hard enough?

Yep definitely petrol motor running. Use charge button if SOC low enough to see the effect as I stated before:

"After stopping the Phev and restarting later the Petrol motor ran (after pressing charge button again) for a little while (maybe 30 sec) and again ran out of petrol. Warnings were off until this happened (ran out of petrol) and then they came back on. Obviously a little fuel gets back into the Petrol motor."

chasingamy said:
Update on running EV only mode,
The strange experience I had this morning when for the first time ever in EV mode (not running the climate control in auto) the message of "EV system requires service" appeared; has not happened again today.

To refresh everyone; I have been running the vehicle without the fuel pump fuse in-line (switched with a small button I wired into the fuse box and back to the cabin) for sometime with no fault warnings (unless I tried to use the heater/climate control). This morning however, it did flag the "EV system requires service" on the instrument panel, even though the heater was off. I suspected the annoying auto-start if its a little cool outside feature tried to engage and waste petrol.

Al in all, EV mode makes it a much more relaxing car to drive. I can go as far as I want in EV and choose petrol burn when/if I want it and don't worry about the ICE cranking up when I don't want or need it to.

Yep all well and good you love the "pure" ev mode as I did but if I were you I would not be enticing people to try it without a disclaimer as you are halving the available power that is normally there that could be used in emergencies. My disclaimer was:

"Now the disclaimer: I AM NOT RECOMMENDING THIS PROCEDURE. For obvious reasons.

This was just a TEST to see what it is like in a pure Ev mode where we use my Phev around 90% of the time (60kph zones). It was great. I know the reasons Mitsubishi have for starting the Petrol motor ie need of extra power in a emergency etc but it seemed to me to have plenty of acceleration unless I was drag racing at the traffic lights.

What I would like from Mitsubishi is a "soft" stop on the accelerator so I can easily press down with my foot and stay in Ev mode and if more power is needed push through the "soft" stop and then bring in the Petrol motor. Or a Hv battery that can discharge at 120kW. :D

Regards Trex."

Trex said:
anko said:
I've done three 'stints' without the fuse. In all there of them, the warning lights came on within about 10 seconds ofI flooring it. Definitely no heater or aircon on, so can only be related to power demand for driving. And it kind a makes sense. The electronics want to fire up the engine and it fails. Why would it matter what the reason for firing up the engine was?

You sure you have pushed hard enough?

Yep definitely petrol motor running. Use charge button if SOC low enough to see the effect as I stated before:

"After stopping the Phev and restarting later the Petrol motor ran (after pressing charge button again) for a little while (maybe 30 sec) and again ran out of petrol. Warnings were off until this happened (ran out of petrol) and then they came back on. Obviously a little fuel gets back into the Petrol motor."
Trex, my response was aimed at chasingamy, who said that there were no warning lights when he floored it with an absent fuel pump fuse.

Good Idea Trex; I am old school and take responsibility for the consequences of my actions but we live in a society where so many people do not.

Disclaimer:
I played Russian roulette last night with a revolver that had 3 shells in it. Great fun but I do not recommend anyone do this unless you wish to shoot themselves in the head.
I run my PHEV in EV mode only and love it, this makes it a great car to drive, however; I do not recommend that anyone do this unless they wish to be in an accident, have the car explode/void their warranty/catch AIDs/etc. :)

Anko,

You mentioned that you had an ACC fault display when you took your fuel pump fuse out.
I have a GX4h without the ACC (they didn't have the colour I wanted in the GX4HS sadly).
It may be this additional feature that causes your alarms where I have none.

Incidentally, I took the car out and made a few 0-60 runs (on a closed road of course) to make sure I was running long enough to cause an alarm if possible. Still nothing, ran perfectly in EV with no fault alarms.

I can hear and see the system trying to start the ICE, basically cycling ever 10 seconds or so while under full throttle, but still no fault/alarms.

Disclaimer for those unable/unwilling to take responsibility for the consequences of their actions: I do not recommend you modify your PHEV in anyway or accelerate dangerously. Your car will explode, your warranty will be void, you will crash and probably die.

Next mod to the make the PHEV as Mitsubishi could have.

In the next week or two I will be wiring in a switch to the throttle that will close a circuit to the fuel pump when the throttle is somewhere between half and full. This way I can switch the fuel pump to enable with a button I have in the cabin or by going hard on the throttle.

I am supposing the throttle is a drive by wire arrangement and I am sure I am an analog redneck in a digital world, but it would be great if the chip tuners world take notice of these great and soon to be ubiquitous vehicles and make this a cleaner mod!

Now I am on to the other little annoyances; removing the symphony of bings, bongs and buzzes, working out how to make some buttons sticky, etc.

[/Disclaimer for those unable/unwilling to take responsibility for the consequences of their actions: I do not recommend you modify your PHEV in anyway. Your car will explode, your warranty will be void, you will crash and probably dieb]

chasingamy said:
Anko,

You mentioned that you had an ACC fault display when you took your fuel pump fuse out.
I have a GX4h without the ACC (they didn't have the colour I wanted in the GX4HS sadly).
It may be this additional feature that causes your alarms where I have none.
Perhaps. I was more surprised by the fact that you have warnings when you cranck up the heater but not when you floor it.

Back