EV Priority mode in MY2017 - not (always) working

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ian4x4 said:
Can someone please explain simply what the 'EV Priority' Button does and how does it differ from earlier PHEVs.

I had thought that it was developed to give controlled 'EV only' running which was necessary in some states in the USA, and therefore stopped any petrol emissions.

Is this a feature worth having, or is it only worth having because of coming 'pollution taxes' in cities?

Given a realistic EV range of around 25 miles, it would be very rash to regard any "EV only" button an a PHEV as a solution to legal bans on petrol emissions. What are you going to do if you run the battery flat a few miles sooner than expected? Call for a tow truck?

maby said:
ian4x4 said:
Can someone please explain simply what the 'EV Priority' Button does and how does it differ from earlier PHEVs.

I had thought that it was developed to give controlled 'EV only' running which was necessary in some states in the USA, and therefore stopped any petrol emissions.

Is this a feature worth having, or is it only worth having because of coming 'pollution taxes' in cities?

Given a realistic EV range of around 25 miles, it would be very rash to regard any "EV only" button an a PHEV as a solution to legal bans on petrol emissions. What are you going to do if you run the battery flat a few miles sooner than expected? Call for a tow truck?

If the 'EV button' isn't to get around some odd pollution rule, and people appear to say the petrol generator still starts sometimes even when selected, what is the point?

ian4x4 said:

My experience so far is that the EV button reduces the usage of the ICE. If you drive without pressing the accelerator too hard and don't use the demist function, you can run in pure EV mode in city/town traffic.

But the end of the day we have to admit and accept that this is a hybrid and not an electric car. You can't entirely disable the ICE. I will update you guys on the EV button when it will become really hot here in Hungary and I will need to use the aircon.

ian4x4 said:
maby said:
ian4x4 said:

If the 'EV button' isn't to get around some odd pollution rule, and people appear to say the petrol generator still starts sometimes even when selected, what is the point?

A marketing effort to reduce the complaints from some owners when they burn a cup full of petrol with some charge left in the battery? Fundamentally, the car was designed to run as a hybrid, and I would imagine that it would require a significant redesign to do a satisfactory job of running as an EV.

moroland79 said:
ian4x4 said:

My experience so far is that the EV button reduces the usage of the ICE. If you drive without pressing the accelerator too hard and don't use the demist function, you can run in pure EV mode in city/town traffic.
I can achieve the same with my 2013 PHEV. I can even run the aircon without the ICE kicking in. So, I was / am expecting a bit more ....

moroland79 said:
But the end of the day we have to admit and accept that this is a hybrid and not an electric car.
Indeed, I am happy to admit and accept this at the end of the day, when the battery is (near) completed. But not at the beginning of the day, with a fully charged battery. Not a single technical reason has been brought forward that explains why I should.

maby said:
A marketing effort to reduce the complaints from some owners when they burn a cup full of petrol with some charge left in the battery? Fundamentally, the car was designed to run as a hybrid, and I would imagine that it would require a significant redesign to do a satisfactory job of running as an EV.
The complaint are not about burning a cup full of fuel. It is about waisting cups full of fuel left and right during totally unnecessary cold starts. Cups of fuel that are burned in the most polluting way.

The car was not designed to run as a hybrid. It was designed as a plug-in hybrid. World of difference ;)

We know that kicking in of the ICE can be prevented easily, for example by pulling the fuel pump fuse, without significant impact to the behaviour of the car. It drives very satisfactory when you do so. IMHO, even more so than when you don't. So how difficult can it be for Mitsubishi to fix this? The only thing we need is an override linked to the throttle kick down.

With a 40 km commute, this car could be close to perfect for my usage. Unfortunately, it is not. And that is a shame. If my usage was more like yours, I probably also would care less than I do now. But it is not.

Back