Extra driving light

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have added additional HID and LED driving lights to my PHEV. The normal high beam is only the control feed to a relay interlock, as it would not supply enough power to strike the HID system reliably. I drew power from the fuse box on the LHS of the PHEV from the power tailgate fuse position, using a piggyback fuse. The fuse position is a larger spade type of 30A wire rating. Not likely to be needing to use the power tailgate when driving with high beams on.

I have relays to control operation of individual lights when high beam is operated.

I have HID high beam inserts, 35W instead of 55W halogen, and a pair of Lightforce VENOM pencil beam spot lights, 2 x 50W HID, and a central 9LED bar, 36W. I posted some pics elsewhere on the forum here, http://www.myoutlanderphev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1350.

The LED light bar is useful to operate most of the time with the high beam, as my HID take about 5sec to reach full brightness, [older power supply type]. Pencil beams are great with no traffic. The LED bar is best if mounted higher. I am looking at rearranging at a later date to a bonnet height. Will require a special bracket to be made.

Presently I have a bracket that fits through the grill and around the plastic bumper that is in the position of the number plate. The radar system is in behind the grill, so this poses some location issues with a higher mounting location.

I have resorted to a normal dash switch operation as interlocking with the fog light switch was not a good long term option.

gwatpe said:
I have added additional HID and LED driving lights to my PHEV. The normal high beam is only the control feed to a relay interlock, as it would not supply enough power to strike the HID system reliably. I drew power from the fuse box on the LHS of the PHEV from the power tailgate fuse position, using a piggyback fuse. The fuse position is a larger spade type of 30A wire rating. Not likely to be needing to use the power tailgate when driving with high beams on.

I have relays to control operation of individual lights when high beam is operated.

I have HID high beam inserts, 35W instead of 55W halogen, and a pair of Lightforce VENOM pencil beam spot lights, 2 x 50W HID, and a central 9LED bar, 36W. I posted some pics elsewhere on the forum here, http://www.myoutlanderphev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1350.

The LED light bar is useful to operate most of the time with the high beam, as my HID take about 5sec to reach full brightness, [older power supply type]. Pencil beams are great with no traffic. The LED bar is best if mounted higher. I am looking at rearranging at a later date to a bonnet height. Will require a special bracket to be made.

Presently I have a bracket that fits through the grill and around the plastic bumper that is in the position of the number plate. The radar system is in behind the grill, so this poses some location issues with a higher mounting location.

I have resorted to a normal dash switch operation as interlocking with the fog light switch was not a good long term option.

Sounds good - any UK owner got a view on how that stands us with the law /future MOT issues?

Back