Fatal trip

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ian,

Thank you for the information. I think that the poor local tech is definitely lost.

I talked to the MMC national representative a few minutes ago. He said that we should be aware about what's happening on monday.

Wait and see...

Hi Phev64,

you have spoken to an MMC national rep. WOW.

My PHEV had the RBS failure as well as 5 other systems failures in addition to a multitude of electrical faults, and all Mitsubishi can do is fob me OFF with there is no problem now. They managed to replace a faulty wheel sensor and clear all the fault codes. JOB DONE according to Mitsubishi. REGEN system is defective when the message is displayed and should have been replaced and not just to clear the fault code. Regen is still ineffective with just over 1/2 the battery. Still have a dispute with Mitsubishi and my car is still with the dealer, but at least I still have a loan replacement PHEV that has not presented any fault message screens, so I am sure that the car I was sold is a LEMON that has been pushed through the quality control systems and sold to an unlucky dealer to me a customer. Mitsubishi has a lot riding on supplying a car that is robust enough to live up to being a 4WD as well as a hybrid SUV. I don't know why a new car was not supplied, as this has now dragged out for months and costs would be considerable now.

I hope your problem can be fixed, but as you can see, Mitsubishi has been prepared to string me out over time. Not enough knowledgeable techs on the ground to really fix the more difficult problems.

Hi Phev64,

I was wondering if you had any news yet?

My own PHEV has been tested by Mitsubishi and the battery has an identified problem. Lack of capacity. Explains why the car uses an extra litre per 100km compared to the loan PHEV. The car needs all systems working properly to give close to manufacturer specifications.

Mitsubishi needs to make available some objective testing so PHEV owners are able to confirm all systems are working to specs. Waiting for fault codes to appear only identifies a component failure.

MUT data from the car is very extensive and should easily identify a problem as was recorded from my PHEV.

Hi gwatpe,

I took back the car on tuesday. I drove a few kilometers on the highway and it looks normal.

We're now downtown everyday. Next trip in about one month. I'll let you know how it works.

I'm glad to hear that your car's trouble has been identified. I hope they will be able to fix the problem definitely.

Let's stay in touch

Hi Phev64,

Good to hear that your problem seems resolved. Must have been an electronic or programming issue.

News is still not good for me.

I would expect that the loss of capacity is not something that can actually be fixed as such. Over half of the predicted loss of capacity has occurred. This was in the new car. I am not that keen on accepting a replacement battery as a fix. Still a lot of unanswered electrical problems to be resolved. Still possible there is some wiring problem that will potentially cause the same battery issues again.

I am not sure but I thought that part of the problem Mitsubishi had with launching the car in the USA was lack of sufficient battery monitoring. I believe that included cell life, and they were working on solving this for the re-launch of the American version.

ian4x4 said:
I am not sure but I thought that part of the problem Mitsubishi had with launching the car in the USA was lack of sufficient battery monitoring. I believe that included cell life, and they were working on solving this for the re-launch of the American version.

Bear in mind, that the battery manufacturer for Mitsu PHEV is the same as for the Dreamliner. :(

There were also some significant issues with the battery, but I hoped, they have been solved
once and forever while 50 Dreamliners stayed grounded on the tarmac, and PHEV production halted.

If not, it is a really bad news for us...

Articles 1641 to 1646 of the French civil code give the customer the opportunity to ask a free repair, a refund or even a refund with penalties when something doesn't provide the promised service.

I sincerely hope that the car will now work correctly. If not, we'll quickly introduce a procedure in front of the judge to cancel the contract we signed with Mitsubishi.

After driving my PHEV a few minutes ago, I really would be terribly disapointed if we were not able to keep it. Next ride on the highway in one month. We'll take blankets in case.

gwatpe said:
Hi Phev64,

the battery is charged in CHARGE mode, but not while driving. looks like there is a problem with the lockout of systems when driving ,[ like use of the setup menu ], affecting pertinent computer system operation controlling battery recharging.. Might be corrupted computer coding after all.

We don't get to drive the PHEV at over 110kph in many places in Australia legally. I suspect that there will be a few cars that have serious problems and how Mitsubishi make use of the opportunity to fix and improve the systems will influence prospective buyers, and the peace of mind of present owners.

Actually gwatpe the battery will charge with charge mode whilst you are driving, well at least ours does!

Cheers

NAPpy

Hi Everybody,

That's not exactly ça, Grigou.

Until last week-end, it was "no news, no news" because I still was not able to drive safely during a long trip.
We finally have been able to make 800 kms without being disturbed by the turtle. I'll try to write a digest of the faulty trips, then the good one :
* Biarritz - La Rochelle, ±400 kms daytime, about 30°C, 130 km/h GPS speed :
- after about 50 kms, turtle displayed, power missing, then good, then bad, main battery totally empty
- we finally landed in La Rochelle, found a public charger and the car was ok during 2 days
* La Rochelle - Biarritz, ±400 kms (scheduled) nightime, about 10°C, 130 km/h GPS speed :
- after about 50 kms, turtle displayed, power missing, then good, then bad, main battery totally empty
- after about 250 kms, sudden motor shutdown, stop on the highway side, "Au revoir" displayed on the dash
- big difficults to climb on the towing truck with the power of about 10 rabbits for 1.800 kgs
- two weeks at Mitsubishi, nothing to see in the computer, car back at home, all ok

* Biarritz - La Rochelle, ±400 kms daytime, about 20°C, 130 km/h GPS speed :
- we finally landed in La Rochelle, found a public charger and the car was ok during 2 days
* La Rochelle - Biarritz, ±400 kms (scheduled) nightime, about 10°C, 130 km/h GPS speed :
- back to Mitsubishi, nothing to see in the computer, tests with a Mitsubishi representative, about 50 kms between 100 and 170 km/h, all ok

BUT, talking with the guys in the workshop, I showed them several photos I took during the problems. We sent them to Ben ZAHAF, the french PHEV guru at Mitsubishi and 5 mns later, he called me saying "I know where the problem is !".

On the highway to La Rochelle, there are 30 km/h toll lines. I drove with the cruise control at 130 km/h GPS speed. About 1 km before the toll plaza, I pushed the "Cancel" button then, "B3" to "B5" to adjust the 30 km/h. Finally, getting out of the toll place, I pushed the "Resume" button to go back to 130 km/h GPS without readjusting the electric brake to "B2" or "D". Accelerator and brakes don't work very well together and it emptied the main battery.

So hereafter, the first fix to my problem : Ben told me to verify after every toll plaza that the electric brake is on "B2" or "D" and I thought that the problem was fixed.

* Biarritz - Val Thorens, ±1.000 kms daytime, about 5°C, 130 km/h GPS speed :
- after about 200 kms, turtle displayed, disappeared, then nothing to say
* Val Thorens - Biarritz, ±1.000 kms daytime, about 10°C, 130 km/h GPS speed :
- after about 500 kms, turtle displayed, power missing, then good, then bad, main battery totally empty
- making a stop in Toulouse, we charged the battery with Ikea's Chademo plug
- we finished the trip without problem

Calling Ben to explain the problem, he proposed me to try the second fix : when I take the highway, I leave the main battery decrease until about 25 kms of autonomy, then push on the "Save" button. That way, the main battery keeps enough of energy to assume the power complement, even in the worst mountain conditions at high speed.

Last week-end, we went to La Rochelle, at "high" speed (130 km/h GPS speed) like always. Nothing to say.

Ok, this car should be able to ride 1.000 kms at 150 or 160 km/h average without having to think about the "Bx" or to save the battery but :
1°) I should have seen that the "Resume" didn't put back the electric brake to "B2" or "D". Now, I know that, and you too ;)
2°) A such car is something like a spaceship and I remember having seen small bugs in Cape Canaveral too :D

I hope this thread can help you in avoiding such troubles. I'm VERY HAPPY with this car now.

@NAPpy : at 130 km/h GPS speed, the totally empty battery doesn't charge, even with the "Charge" button, because the load applied to the gas motor is too important

Phev64 said:
Hi Everybody,

Calling Ben to explain the problem, he proposed me to try the second fix : when I take the highway, I leave the main battery decrease until about 25 kms of autonomy, then push on the "Save" button. That way, the main battery keeps enough of energy to assume the power complement, even in the worst mountain conditions at high speed.

Last week-end, we went to La Rochelle, at "high" speed (130 km/h GPS speed) like always. Nothing to say.

I hope this thread can help you in avoiding such troubles. I'm VERY HAPPY with this car now.

@NAPpy : at 130 km/h GPS speed, the totally empty battery doesn't charge, even with the "Charge" button, because the load applied to the gas motor is too important

HA! My power management strategy exactly! Now, just give us 50% sticky save for long journeys away from home and we'll be fine!

Phev64 said:
Ok, this car should be able to ride 1.000 kms at 150 or 160 km/h average without having to think about the "Bx" or to save the battery
I am pretty convinced it is capable, as the engine is capable of maintaining that speed without any E-assistance. But if you allow the battery to drain, it will have problems with the hills that follow this 1000 km, at least if you insist in maintaining a particular speed on these hills (not saying you did). Same thing would have happened after 40 - 50 km without Save or Charge. If you pay attention to the Turtle sign and act accordingly, you should be fine. I have seen the Turtle sign while towing 1500 kg of caravan uphill, and still managed to get on top. But if you keep pushing it ....(again, not saying you did)

Phev64 said:
1°) I should have seen that the "Resume" didn't put back the electric brake to "B2" or "D".
Am I the only one not buying the Bx setting as a potential cause for draining the battery? If I understand correctly, neither should you, as it didn't fix your issue. And let's not forget, you were not using Save (let alone Charge) mode, so of course your batteries would have been drained, regardless of your Bx setting. Or am I missing something? Next time, please try using Save (or better Charge) and ignore the Bx setting and see what it does. Would you do that for us? Please ... :mrgreen:

Phev64 said:
jaapv said:
I think there are about 148 posts on this forum advising to use save on the motorway....

...but nothing in the user manual ! ;)
Well, maybe you should get yourself a Dutch manual ;) . On page 7-25 it says (roughly translated):

Use the Charge button before entering long slopes, for example long steep mountain roads. By charging the battery before driving, it is possible to keep climbing capabilities up to level.

Remarks
- Use the Charge button before driving uphill
- It is advisable to use the Charge button at least 20 minutes before going to drive 100 km/h or faster or before climbing more than 4%.

anko said:
Am I the only one not buying the Bx setting as a potential cause for draining the battery?
No, you're not.
Had me quite confused for a while, cannot find any logic behind it....

Hi Anko,

Some explanations about the facts :

1°) If the battery is fully charged and I take a flat highway, staying accidentally in "B5" at 130 km/h, the turtle appears before 100 kms. Keeping 130 km/h is not "pushing". Moreover, the gas consumption climbs at about 14 l/100 kms.

2°) When the turtle appears, if I continue driving at 130 km/h, "Charge" or not "Charge", my car never comes back to a normal state, even after 50 kms in any mode. When the battery falls too low, it's too late. To come back to a normal state, I must decrease the speed at around 90 km/h, then push "Charge" and wait.

3°) Changing "B5" to "B2" gives me the opportunity to save 4 l/100 kms on the same flat highway at 130 km/h.

4°) The description of the "Charge" button is the same in my french manual than in your, but about the "Save" button, it just says it goes to the battery save mode. I can't read anything about the necessity of pushing save when taking a highway.

To close this subject, I think that checking the "Bx" level after a toll plaza and pushing "Save" when on the highway authorizes me to ride all around the world with this fantastic car. Everything is ok now.

Thanks for that explanation. I am glad you are happy with the car, but reading your nr 1 and nr 3, only one thing comes to my mind: your car has a serious issue.

From 10 l/100 km to 14 l/100 km is 40% more fuel consumption and still your battery is drained instead of charged. Where does all that energy go if it doesn't go into the battery?

I share your interrogations. That's not a big deal for me. The standard use of my car is downtown and in this case, it's really a pleasure !

I can see no logic in the level of regenerative braking impacting the fuel consumption on a flat section of open road. The only thing I can think is somehow the setting is creating a drag, like a dynamo. However, that would imply something is not "uncoupling" for want of a better turn of phrase, because the regenerative forces should only apply when the accelerator is being eased off, not applied.

Back