Fatal trip

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Couldn't agree more, avensys :)

We have Save, Charge, and Clim/Heater buttons, B0 to B5, so we can do everything we want with the car, and for me it's perfect.

Mr Mitsu, don't listen all the demands ! (and you couldn't because they contradict each other :mrgreen: )

Actually I think the present programming does a pretty good job. One of the main design parameters was to make the car as drivable as possible with minimum user input.
So, hit Save on longer motorway journeys, push Charge when extra electrical power is needed ahead and use Normal for everyday driving. The car computers will do the rest. I have driven it on extended journeys on the Continent and have never found cause for complaint, so to me a "Briton in France" button appears to be redundant.

I do agree that Eco is too subtle to be of much practical use and could indeed better be employed to shut down the ICE in environmental zones, but that is about the only realistic niggle.

The car was not designed for manual control for the last drop of petrol by button-pushing.

Not sure if we are still on topic but I did notice on my trip from UK to the Alps this weekend that even in Save mode (so I had some extra power for the last few miles) the car apparently "banked" surplus charge when running in CC at between 110 & 130 kph. This was indicated both by the dashboard fuel bar and the estimated range - going from 10 miles up to 16 - and did not use it to drive the car as it would when cruising at lower speeds. I assume this is because the car was in direct drive at those speeds.

Also I was pleasantly surprised that I could use the CC control as a hand throttle to switch between the 2 max speeds in France due to intermittent showers. :D

maby said:
Well, I'm certainly not jumping up and down, shouting about its absence, but I do think it is as valid as the wish for a pure EV mode.
You DO have a button that does what you want. It is called Save. all you need to do is use it. There is NO button for "EV only heating" mode. So, please don't compare these two.

jaapv said:
The car was not designed for manual control for the last drop of petrol by button-pushing.
Then, you must be the guy that designed the car. If not, how do you know the difference between what the car was designed for and how the design works out?

I think they tried to make the car as easy as possible, but messed up when it comes to enabling the user to reach optimal efficiency. Adding an "EV only heating" button would not make the car more difficult to drive. As a matter of fact, it will make it easier to drive for many of us.

Grigou said:
Couldn't agree more, avensys :)

We have Save, Charge, and Clim/Heater buttons, B0 to B5, so we can do everything we want with the car, and for me it's perfect.

Mr Mitsu, don't listen all the demands ! (and you couldn't because they contradict each other :mrgreen: )
I don't see why anybody would ask Mitsubishi not to listen to other people's request? What's your concern? Are you worried you end up paying for it?

maby said:
The Charge button is a pretty blunt instrument and we know that it is very fuel inefficient.
Don't agree.

Driving with 70% SOC all the time (as you suggest / do) is far less efficient then allowing the SOC to drop to 30% and then recharge it back to 70%. Simply because the average SOC is lower and the engine is more efficiently utilised.

Not using Charge or Save is even more efficient as your average SOC will be even lower. And the engine utilisation will be even more efficient.

anko said:
maby said:
Well, I'm certainly not jumping up and down, shouting about its absence, but I do think it is as valid as the wish for a pure EV mode.
You DO have a button that does what you want. It is called Save. all you need to do is use it. There is NO button for "EV only heating" mode. So, please don't compare these two.

But as you have already pointed out, the current implementation of Save does allow the charge level to drift down. Try driving on Save for a week - your battery will be close to flat.

maby said:
anko said:
maby said:

But as you have already pointed out, the current implementation of Save does allow the charge level to drift down. Try driving on Save for a week - your battery will be close to flat.
So, every now and then, you must use the Charge button as well. But still, you have control.

And if your driving is such that you loose SOC despite the use of Save mode, I would think Charge mode will be the better option anyway. Does it turn off at 80% or does it stop charging?

Hi,

I just became aware of this thread (link to it from the French PTC forum), and wanted to add my experience:

My PHEV is from late February/early March 2014, and it's got the Safety Package, including ACC.

I use ACC for 98% of my driving and also the B1-5.

If you try to use the B1-5 with ACC engaged, the car beeps - and you have to push "cancel".

However, the behavior described by our co-forumist from Biarritz has never occurred to me.

On motorways, before arriving at the toll plaza, I cancel the ACC, do most or all of the braking via B1-5, and reaccelerate to just above 40 kph (or less, if there's a vehicle within the range of the ACC) and hit "resume". That's it - and has been so for the last 12 months (incidentally, my PHEV's first registration date is 11 March 2014) and 17.000 kms. No trouble, no need to perform more or less "geeky" manipulations - just driving pleasure.

Hi,

Grigou said:
jaapv said:
You don't even have to push Cancel, just tap the brake pedal briefly.

krouebi said:
If you try to use the B1-5 with ACC engaged, the car beeps - and you have to push "cancel".

But you don't even have to tap the brake pedal, just push Cancel :cool:

Both these methods will cause an uncomfortable speed reduction.

If you want to do it smoothly, apply slight pressure to the accelerator before taking the PHEV off autopilot (ACC) :roll: .

Not quite. The car regulates regen braking according to the traffic in front. Up to B5 obviously, then it will apply the mechanical brakes as well.

jaapv said:
Not quite. The car regulates regen braking according to the traffic in front. Up to B5 obviously, then it will apply the mechanical brakes as well.

Are you sure of that last? I don't have ACC (GX4h, not hs) but from experience going down steep hills, I see no evidence that the mechanical brakes are ever engaged under cruise control. If the hill is so steep that B5 is not enough, the car runs away till you press the brake pedal. Actually, it does not seem clever enough to turn the regen level up either - I have a long, steep hill on the approach to our house - if I come down in cruise control with the brakes set to B2, it runs away - if I set the brakes to B5, it descends under perfect control, maintaining a steady 40mph.

Back