Finally Ordered.... but not a Outlander - My Thoughts...

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Driver5

Finally Ordered.... but not a Outlander.. :-(

I had been so close to ordering a GX4 for some time but never just could hit the order button due to a couple of "niggles" I had with the Outlander.

Now this thread is not a "don't get a outlander" as its not the forum to post that on, lol :shock: - but rather than just walking away I wanted to give some of my own feedback as i had spent a long time looking into the Outlander and read every post on the forum and was so close to ordering one.

Current Car to be replaced - BMW E60 525d MSport. - I walked in with a complete eyes wide open opinion and happy to change to a different body type of car.

Pro's for me based on a MY15

Cabin Space
Boot space
High Driving view
4x4
GX4 Spec (HIDS and sunroof)
Low BIK Tax
PHEV
EV Range
Road Presence
Colour prices

Cons for me:-
Driving Position - Too upright
Bland Cabin with a sat nav unit which felt after market with a Plastic feel
Under powered mid range and engine tone at speed.
Rear clear light clusters.
No option for a factory fit towbar. (ok there is after market)
Small Fuel tank

As i say, the outlander does tick most of the boxes and did seem like the ideal choice and i can see how it suits so many but i could not just gel with it really. I think the main factor for me was the dash was too Japanese rather than German if that makes sense. It just felt uninviting to me. If the dash was that bit more modern for a modern PHEV i think i would of gone for it, but as we spend most of the time inside the car rather than looking at it, that was a factor.

The drive of the car felt fine and better than I expected, but just underpowered mid range and the lack of a gear box / kickdown or turbo surge just didnt do it for me.

All other factors of the car worked well.

I had been waiting over the last few weeks for the MY16 car and I was happy to see the rear clusters have gone back to red and the new front end looks good in my opinion, but with the dash remaining the same it had to be a no for me.

So, what i have ordered.... Keeping with the german theme I have gone for a Merc C350e Plug in Hybrid with the Premium pack. The spec is great, cabin feels modern and tech filled with pano roof. 280BHP and 0-60 in 5.9 secs. I know its not a like for like car in any means but just feels the right choice for me at this point in time.

Horses for courses and all... Good luck and enjoy!

Driver5 said:
Finally Ordered.... but not a Outlander.. :-(

I had been so close to ordering a GX4 for some time but never just could hit the order button due to a couple of "niggles" I had with the Outlander.

Now this thread is not a "don't get a outlander" as its not the forum to post that on, lol :shock: - but rather than just walking away I wanted to give some of my own feedback as i had spent a long time looking into the Outlander and read every post on the forum and was so close to ordering one.

Current Car to be replaced - BMW E60 525d MSport. - I walked in with a complete eyes wide open opinion and happy to change to a different body type of car.

Pro's for me based on a MY15

Cabin Space
Boot space
High Driving view
4x4
GX4 Spec (HIDS and sunroof)
Low BIK Tax
PHEV
EV Range
Road Presence
Colour prices

Cons for me:-
Driving Position - Too upright
Bland Cabin with a sat nav unit which felt after market with a Plastic feel
Under powered mid range and engine tone at speed.
Rear clear light clusters.
No option for a factory fit towbar. (ok there is after market)
Small Fuel tank

As i say, the outlander does tick most of the boxes and did seem like the ideal choice and i can see how it suits so many but i could not just gel with it really. I think the main factor for me was the dash was too Japanese rather than German if that makes sense. It just felt uninviting to me. If the dash was that bit more modern for a modern PHEV i think i would of gone for it, but as we spend most of the time inside the car rather than looking at it, that was a factor.

The drive of the car felt fine and better than I expected, but just underpowered mid range and the lack of a gear box / kickdown or turbo surge just didnt do it for me.

All other factors of the car worked well.

I had been waiting over the last few weeks for the MY16 car and I was happy to see the rear clusters have gone back to red and the new front end looks good in my opinion, but with the dash remaining the same it had to be a no for me.

So, what i have ordered.... Keeping with the german theme I have gone for a Merc C350e Plug in Hybrid with the Premium pack. The spec is great, cabin feels modern and tech filled with pano roof. 280BHP and 0-60 in 5.9 secs. I know its not a like for like car in any means but just feels the right choice for me at this point in time.

Horses for courses and all... Good luck and enjoy!

Good choice!! If you don't need the space, this is definitely the right choice. The battery eats up the space in the boot as well.

tun said:
Good choice!! If you don't need the space, this is definitely the right choice. The battery eats up the space in the boot as well.

Cheers - Yes, the boot is small ish on the saloon but not too bad for me, dont need the space for 95% of the time and when i do the roof box will come out and also have a trailer if needed.

Would of gone estate but thats 53 co2 for BIK

Also - i think im keeping my BMW E60 too..... for the wife.. :D

Good luck to you , sort of subjective, I thought the Merch dash is a bit retro with the round airvents, interior has been awarded prizes though. The EV range is also half, and I need the large booth .

you'll have a lot of fun with that choice! FYI as well as the boot being smaller, like the Outlander, the fuel tank on the c350e is also reduced from standard model down to 43L (+7L kept in reserve). I only say as that was one of your niggles with the Outie. Oh, and I agree about interior refinement the merc wins easily.
HJB

aitchjaybee said:
you'll have a lot of fun with that choice! FYI as well as the boot being smaller, like the Outlander, the fuel tank on the c350e is also reduced from standard model down to 43L (+7L kept in reserve). I only say as that was one of your niggles with the Outie. Oh, and I agree about interior refinement the merc wins easily.
HJB

Hope so, should be fun..

Yeah, fuel tank down from 66 to 50 liters but more than usable i think. Its a shame the outlander is only 45 liters though - wonder if the MY16 Phev is the same ?

Back