First road trip

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GolfjunkyC60 said:
Sorry, i didnt know chief officer Piers Morgan of the grammar police was in town. glad most of you knew what i meant.
anyway, thanks for the replies. i will report back with the results. Cant wait until the car arrives on monday, i will post some pics.

Has anyone mentioned the secret salute used between PHEV owners? everytime you approach another owner on the road you make a horizontal V sign with forefinger and middle fingers (palm towards the windscreen please!) and make a slow wave action across your eyes.

pulp.png

;)

I'm just back from my first significant road trip - 450 miles to Galway City and back, almost all of it at 80mph (indicated) on empty motorways. Didn't get a chance to charge during the trip so I had an empty battery except for the first 20 miles. Overall I averaged 28mpg. Car was fairly full with 4 people and light luggage. I'm sure I could have got low 30s mpg if I had stuck to 70mph, but life is too short etc.

Good points:
-- All the power I wanted for overtaking etc between 60 and 80mph
-- Fairly quiet and refined ride (to my senses, though I have never owned a BMW, Merc etc. and so can't make a comparison)

Bad points:
-- Petrol gauge drops in alarming 'chunks' - would be better if it were more granular
-- Coming to the end of my trip, I was low on fuel. I drove through the first warning at 50 est. miles remaining, without stopping, knowing I was close to home. The second low fuel warning when it arrives at circa 25 miles left changes the est. range to '---' rather than a number! Even though there were at least 5 litres of fuel in the tank. This completely freaked my wife out as she thought we were going to have to pull over. Completely unnecessary stress.
-- Fuel tank is a little small given the lowish economy on the motorway. 55-60l would be better.

The good news (for me anyway) is that the PHEV is perfectly capable on motorways it just isn't super economical in the process. Lucky I hardly ever take long trips then!

I have refilled many times close to when the PHEV drops out of SAVE mode and reverts back to NORMAL mode and usual refill to brim is about 38L. I have managed to get 160km from the remaining petrol once the PHEV has shown the zero total range, by slowing down and this has saved me a jerry can refill in the middle of the night 100km from a petrol station.

ChrisMiller said:
If you cruise at just over 70, 35 mpg (petrol only, but on a long trip with no recharging the electric contribution is not that huge) is about right. The Outlander is a size bigger than your Qashqai (nice car, silly name), so that represents decent performance - friends with diesel SUVs tell me that 35 mpg is their expectation for m'way cruising.

If you're prepared to run slightly slower (60-65 mph), you can probably get over 40 mpg, as you're both reducing air resistance and can more easily maintain a constant speed. Cruise control (where available) is your friend :)

By cruising at the slightly slower 60mph with the "Charge" button pressed you will also be using the petrol engine more efficiently to produce power for the battery. As long as this battery power is used in stop/start (city) driving it is better than cruising on 70mph with an empty battery on arrival at a city. Others may correct me here, but it is my understanding so far. This is very general btw. Lots of caveats of course.

As I've said many times ......in times gone by motor manufacturers always used 56 mph (89.6 km/h) as the speed at which their cars achieved optimum fuel efficiency, and there was and still is a good reason for that.

Shamusj, as you are aware, every kid in Peter Pan's Playground knew that!

;)

The laws of physics haven't changed a lot since then and the use of plug in analytical devices (I have one) haven't changed anything either.

The roads are chock full of idiots who think that if they floor the throttle they'll get there in half the time of everyone else and that always entertains us snails as we pull up behind them at the next set of lights or whatever.

Mustn't rant...

JimB

BobEngineer said:
............Has anyone mentioned the secret salute used between PHEV owners? everytime you approach another owner on the road you make a horizontal V sign with forefinger and middle fingers (palm towards the windscreen please!) and make a slow wave action across your eyes............
As the witching hour has passed I'll say that now that you mention it I'm sure I've seen something similar to that shown to me by drivers of Nissan Leafs.

:D

JimB

In my Qashqui i could push a button to turn on the cameras when driving at slow speeds can i do it with the new PHEV ?

Yes, the top left button on the steering wheel turns on the camera display (showing the view in front and left-hand side). Very handy when parking up to a low barrier that isn't fully visible over the bonnet.

BobEngineer said:
GolfjunkyC60 said:
Sorry, i didnt know chief officer Piers Morgan of the grammar police was in town. glad most of you knew what i meant.
anyway, thanks for the replies. i will report back with the results. Cant wait until the car arrives on monday, i will post some pics.

Has anyone mentioned the secret salute used between PHEV owners? everytime you approach another owner on the road you make a horizontal V sign with forefinger and middle fingers (palm towards the windscreen please!) and make a slow wave action across your eyes.

pulp.png

;)
I would be doing that ten or twenty times a day... :eek:

So, I've had my PHEV for just under a month now.

Very happy in general. Only 'issue' to me being the cubby space and the low depth of the centre console (my Lexus had a very high one, and with little places to put phones etc).

As for economy.....

I charge most nights at home.

I drive to the office 4x a week. It's 25 miles away, so do prob 70% on EV in the morning, and mostly petrol/hybrid on way back. The mpg on the way to work is irrelevant due to the bias towards electric - last time I checked it was saying 450mpg or something ridiculous.

On the way home from work, it seems to average around 35mpg. I don't try and drive in a particularly 'eco' style, although am no boy racer.

In amongst these trips, I have done a few 150 mile round-trips. Most of these journeys have been on fast dual carriageways, and have been using a mix of hybrid driving and periods using the 'charge' function, so I can glide silently when in built up areas.

Mostly drive with heating/cooling system OFF, but do use it under more extreme conditions (ie. very cold nights, or very sunny days which heats the car up)

Overall (all the above) trips are so far averaging out at 47mpg

Considering my Lexus hybrid would hit around 50mpg during winter, and my prior Ford Kuga (diesel SUV) would do around 40-45mpg, it seems pretty comparable.

I am getting about 410-420 miles to recent tanks, although it does seem a little variable and can be less depending on my charging cycles. This is about the same as the Lexus, which has the same sized tank.

Obviously, none of the above is scientific at all and I still struggle to understand the optimum approach to economy. But my key metric when selecting the car was not having a significantly worse economy on average to my outgoing Lexus hybrid, and it seems to be delivering that.

I am envious of people who live nearer their work though. On weekends where I'm not travelling around but popping out to shops, it is great to use zero fuel :)

Claymore said:
BobEngineer said:
............Has anyone mentioned the secret salute used between PHEV owners? everytime you approach another owner on the road you make a horizontal V sign with forefinger and middle fingers (palm towards the windscreen please!) and make a slow wave action across your eyes............
As the witching hour has passed I'll say that now that you mention it I'm sure I've seen something similar to that shown to me by drivers of Nissan Leafs.

:D

JimB

Yes I know the one. I saw the other day on another forum they have a special term for us, they refer to a charger being PHEV'd if blocked from them by one of us. well they will just have to Phevin wait!

Hi again, should i automatically push the eco button everytime i get it ? does my model have adaptive cruise control ?
thanks in advance

GolfjunkyC60 said:
Hi again, should i automatically push the eco button everytime i get it ? does my model have adaptive cruise control ?
You can't (at least, I don't know how to) set the car up so that it always starts in 'Eco' mode. Not that it does very much, it reduces the responsiveness of the accelerator mainly (try maintaining a constant speed up a hill and then press the Eco button and you'll feel the car slow).

In the UK, the 'S' models have ACC - so GX4h doesn't; GX4hS does.

thanks again everyone.

another Q, why is it that when i make a call the receivers voice only comes out of the passengers side speaker? and also when i recive a call why does it not take over the screen and inform me ?
Also can you turn off the beeps when you make selections on the screen or with the buttons ?

Back