First Time Off-road

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phevourite

I have driven SUVs before but not really off-road. Perhaps oddly mostly I have driven them full-up with people. I have also done long road trips in the US with SUVs and I suppose I have driven in a lot of snow there but never really had the chance to drive the rough track stuff. So today I took the Outlander up to a car park at a high point which is along a very steep track just - well because its there. A track that when I have taken a car along it has always caused the vehicle to bottom-out. A track I would not want to do in a ordinary car at this time of year.

Compared with proper off-roading this was child's play you understand but it was good enough for me. It was simply just such a serene sensation. Gliding along all-electric powered locked in 4x4 it was one of the most satisfying experiences yet in the PHEV. The weather helped as the top of the hill where the car park is was in the thick mist while the lower slopes were crystal clear and the autumnal colours were exquisite. I think I would have enjoyed driving this in any reasonable 4x4 but there is something truly magical about the silence of electric motoring in the country and being more able to better hear all of the natural sounds. Add in the ease with which the Outlander tackled every rut and furrow (compared with a car) and it was simply terrific.

Once at the top we had a wonderful mystery misty walk - the sort where you really have to know the tracks pretty well to get back to the car and luckily I have cycled this a bit in the past. I noted that all other vehicles at the top were all 4x4s which is not the case in the summer. This suggests that I am not the only one who would chose summer only for a saloon or estate. Then all the way down we were re-charging which is such a good feeling and then to find the Outlander is equally masterful on the rough stuff descending while regenerating as on the way up while motoring, well it was just wonderful!

Just thought I would share.

Nice, the few times I got my wheels dirty it was quite ethereal wafting along farm tracks in silence. Except when something under the car touches down!

Did my own little bit of off-roading yesterday as well. Took the lad to a rugby tournament - an away fixture - and the car park was full to the brim. Someone was directing cars to the overflow 'car park', but with the caveat that you would need a 4x4! It was reached via a pot-holed dirt track going all the way round the perimeter of the pitches to come back behind the official car park. So about a mile+ to end up 30 feet away and all of it was dirt track and it had been heavy rain, so thick deep mud! The PHEV did great and silently as well! The overflow 'car park' was little more than a mud filled field populated with land rovers and various SUVs, plus my lone PHEV which drew long looks as I made my way there, stealthily!

Now the only thing needed after that was waders to walk across the mud bath they called a 'car park' to the pitches!!

lg1726 said:
Now the only thing needed after that was waders to walk across the mud bath they called a 'car park' to the pitches!!

Sounds great. Fortunately I had my wellies with me but then I knew I would need them.

Simonrh - one could call it "waft-roading" perhaps.

Humble apologies for the pun.

Phevourite said:
lg1726 said:

Sounds great. Fortunately I had my wellies with me but then I knew I would need them.

Simonrh - one could call it "waft-roading" perhaps.

Humble apologies for the pun.

I like! Much better than that awful 'soft roading' description. :lol:

Phevourite said:
lg1726 said:

Fortunately I had my big boots, but it was touch and go in some parts if the mud would come over the tops and into the boots!

I have to say that the looks the PHEV drew as it glided across the mud and rumbled over the pot holes, silently, was awesome! There was a guy in his tweed jacket, leather lined collar up, moleskin trousers and hunter wellies standing open mouthed as this ninja stealth car (as our son calls it) went by - priceless!

lg1726 said:
I have to say that the looks the PHEV drew as it glided across the mud and rumbled over the pot holes, silently, was awesome! There was a guy in his tweed jacket, leather lined collar up, moleskin trousers and hunter wellies standing open mouthed as this ninja stealth car (as our son calls it) went by - priceless!

Your story is wonderful. That silence is superb on the road but just sublime on the rough stuff.

From the little experience I have had - what I mention in this thread basically - it feels like the Mitsubishi is fairly competent off-road. At least as good as the tyres allow. Although I am no judge.

Had a lorry driver park directly behind me today at a joinery company while he was off loading doors, he had to Marshall me out, and shift the curtains on the truck so that the clamps didn't scratch the top of the car. "Blxxdy hell, that's quiet" he said. I beckoned him closer with my finger, put it to my lips, said "shhhhh, it's magic", which made my 79 year old Father in Law laugh so much, we nearly had an asthma attack.

I love I my car.

I was out at a client dinner last - more about that in a minute, but my other half took our ten year old son and his two friends out for tea. Firstly our son said he would unplug the car, much to their amazement and then they were both struck by how quiet it is and they too were referring to it as the ninja stealth car by the end of the evening apparently!

As to my dinner - I work in politics, but sat next to the shadow minister for transport (Scottish Parliament). We had a very long conversation about the paucity of public charging facilities in Scotland in general, but in particular outside of the central belt. I've promised him a ride in the car in the coming weeks and will be lobbying hard on this! We were discussing climate change and emissions and he was in agreement that plug in hybrids have to the new direction until and unless we get BEVs with a far more practical range, but as he is in the Highlands, we ended up discussing the needs of those who have a more pressing need for serious 4x4 than me. Cue my sales pitch, but again we need to have more public charging in these places and more support for domestic charging!

Anyway, I hope my ear bending has some impact!

Back