Flappy paddle discovery

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NAPpy

I'm sure you know about this but when in "D" instead of flapping the left paddle (-ve) and going straight into B3, flap the right paddle (+ve) and it will go into B1!

Cheers

NAPpy

NAPpy said:
I'm sure you know about this but when in "D" instead of flapping the left paddle (-ve) and going straight into B3, flap the right paddle (+ve) and it will go into B1!
Flap it once more and you get B0 - freewheeling. Means you can coast quite a distance using no energy at all.

I normally operate the paddles in multiples of 2 presses.

My next project will be to interlock the paddles to the cruise control, so that whenever a paddle is pressed the cruise control is cancelled.

The paddles are used to alter the braking, and it would be convenient if the paddles had the same effect as the brake pedal, in cancelling the cruise control operation.

This would be a rather simple electronic interlock, located in the steering wheel. May need to be a sticky button to have a driver memory option selection.

gwatpe said:
I normally operate the paddles in multiples of 2 presses.

My next project will be to interlock the paddles to the cruise control, so that whenever a paddle is pressed the cruise control is cancelled.

The paddles are used to alter the braking, and it would be convenient if the paddles had the same effect as the brake pedal, in cancelling the cruise control operation.

This would be a rather simple electronic interlock, located in the steering wheel. May need to be a sticky button to have a driver memory option selection.

Now THAT I would purchase from you!!

Exactly what I want!

Let me know how you go.

Cheers

NAPpy

I have never had a car with the paddles and I am still puzzled as to WHY MMC would not have the paddles cancel the cruise control.

The airbag should not be too hard to disconnect to get access to the wiring.

As with all my mods, my proposed mod will exactly mimic what a driver would normally have to do, but with a single action.

This is just another unfinished aspect of the PHEV driver interface that needs to be factory tweeked in a firmware mod to the ECU.

I have not yet looked closely at the workshop manual, but my first casual look had a single control cct to the ECU with a resistor divider network with a ladder of switches. Should just need to pick up either paddle action and then with a short delay, action the ACC / CC cancel button.

Will probably start a thread on switch mods.

I don't fancy the idea of pulling apart the steering wheel to modify the functionality of the controls housed there, but if I did, I would really like the option to reconfigure the paddles as a hand-throttle.

Actually it is just the other way around now. ACC and CC disengage the paddles. So you would basically be reversing a design decision.

I would like a button on the steering wheel that instantly starts the ICE at its high power revs and holds for up to say 30 seconds, be great for a fast getaway into busy traffic or in preparation for a country road overtake.

I won't be trying to implement the last idea.

I have some snippets from the service manual.

PHEV_cruise.gif

and

PHEV_paddles.gif

The cruise control cancel button is on the wrong side of the steering wheel clock spring to the paddle controls so cannot be easily used, however,

The brake switch performs the same function as the cruise control cancel button.

This is on the same side of the clock spring [ fixed body wiring] so the interlock would be that the paddles signals would be intercepted and a signal would then mimic the foot being pressed on the brake pedal. This would need opto isolation, so my original sticky switch circuit would need a slight modification.

I doubt that the MMC engineers thought too much about a drivers needs when setting up the ECU. There is far too much evidence of shortcomings in other areas of the computer operations.

I am only mimicking how I drive the car with some more intuitive automation.

Will be a few months until I have access to my trusty soldering iron, but this will probably be as useful as starting the PHEV in SAVE mode for me.

I will use the same sticky button approach to turn this feature ON and OFF as the drivers needs may change.

jaapv said:
Actually it is just the other way around now. ACC and CC disengage the paddles. So you would basically be reversing a design decision.

Disconnecting the paddles in ACC is not logical. The paddles do change REGEN settings in CC, but the effect is only noticeable with changes in vehicle speeds with say downhill terrain changes.

I have just realized that it may not be desirable to use the brake switch to disconnect CRUISE, as the brake light may be activated every time a paddle is used. Will need to check this some more and find an alternative.

May still be able to use the CRUISE cancel, but it will need to include replicating the resistance presented by the button press and this seems to be a double wire connection to the ECU and will need more care.

Back