Front fog lamps/ daytime running lamp

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

apyds

There are two lamps on the front bottom of the car (below the headlights) labelled in the manual as then front fog lamps or daytime running laps.

Am I the only person to have these lights on all the time when the car is running (whether it is a bright sunny day or otherwise) and be unable to switch them off? Is there any way to switch them off? Seems like a waste of the electric to me.

apyds said:
Am I the only person to have these lights on all the time when the car is running (whether it is a bright sunny day or otherwise) and be unable to switch them off?

Is that not the definition of daytime running lights?

If you cannot turn them off then you could swap the bulbs for led ones which draw a lot less energy then conventional bulbs (assuming they are not LEDs already).

I'm pretty certain that they are LED's. I think the same fitting houses separate fog lights and DRL's.

Slightly off-topic (sorry :!: ) but had my first drive in the dark last night and am pretty happy with the headlights. I'd say they are as good as those on my old Disco, which were the best I've ever had until now.

You only have the outer ring of LEDs on, which are the daylight running lights. The fog lights are the central projectors.

Ok; so maybe I am not that upto speed with car lights but would someone kindly mind explaining to me what the point is of having lights on in daytime?

Speaking as someone whose drive is on a blind bend with lots of trees casting long shadows on the road to obscure the view in my mirror, I think they should be compulsory :!:

But I do also like them too :) The PHEV's are a bit basic though - it's probably down to keeping the energy consumption to a minimum but I really like the latest styles from Audi and Land Rover. I also can't for the life of me understand why the cowl is that silly grey :?: It should be (and in my case it will be) body colour :geek:

apyds said:
Ok; so maybe I am not that upto speed with car lights but would someone kindly mind explaining to me what the point is of having lights on in daytime?
Just ask yourself why trains, motorcycles and all Scandinavians run with lights in the daytime: to be better seen, especially in adverse conditions.

maddogsetc said:
Speaking as someone whose drive is on a blind bend with lots of trees casting long shadows on the road to obscure the view in my mirror, I think they should be compulsory :!:

But I do also like them too :) The PHEV's are a bit basic though - it's probably down to keeping the energy consumption to a minimum but I really like the latest styles from Audi and Land Rover. I also can't for the life of me understand why the cowl is that silly grey :?: It should be (and in my case it will be) body colour :geek:
You can replace the cowl by the rather nice chrome one from the newest type of " normal" outlander.

You can replace the cowl by the rather nice chrome one from the newest type of " normal" outlander.
Good tip jaapv, just had a look at that, will investigate it next week. :D

I've ordered the LED Foglamps with LED Daytime Running Lights on the GX4h.

So many new cars have LED's now and most look great. I can't understand why they weren't included as standard on a car so well spec'd?

I'm hoping they will look good, as I've not seen them on the PHEV yet! Also hoping they will use less power being LED.

Has anyone else got or ordered them?

Yes-the dealer just fitted them free of charge. I would say that on the Continent 100% come with them, in fact the vast majority if not all of new cars do.

Fitting DRL's to new or heavily facelifted models became compulsory in Feb 2011. I am surprised that the PHEV doesn't come with the LED's as standard. I'm guessing this is to save money or rake in a few more quid as the LEDs look way better than normal fog lamps on low power. Seems like Mitsubishi are going with the same spiel as the Vauxhall Antara. Advertised as having DRLs but it turned out that technically they could get away with without fitting LEDs under the guise that the headlamps and side lamps can be used as DRLs. Even watchdog looked into it.

jaapv said:
Twist off, unplug, plug in , twist on.

You mean it is just the actual bulbs to replace? I saw this as an option but it was priced such that I thought there was a lot more to it than that.

Does anyone have a link to suitable bulbs?

Kind regards
Mark

I am a little confused after reading this thread. Some people seem to think the PHEV comes with led DRLs but others are paying extra for LEDs. Is this maybe down to different countries?
Can anyone confirm whether the standard DRLs are LEDs or not?

There are 3 trim levels of phev in the UK. The brochure does not list any differences between the DRLs fitted to these models, so can anyone confirm whether or not the UK DRLs are LEDs?

Jaapv, I see you are in the Netherlands, so are there different DRLs fitted to the different specs in your country?

Back