Front Parking Sensors....

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Graham

Having complained to my local dealer that the FPS do not actually "point" forward but sideways he has come back with the following reply from Mitsubishi Technical.

As the FPS would interfere with the adaptive cruise control on the GX5h the FPS are only fitted on the corners of the bumpers of all models.

I have asked for this to be escalated. I have a GX4h, and in addition to this I cannot see how the FPS which work at low speeds would ever be working at the same time as the ACC.

Technical at Mitsubishi tell my dealer that they have not had any other reports of problems, has anyone else complained to their dealer?

Many, at least in Holland which has about 12,000 of these cars on the road. And yes, they are not very good. They leave a gap in the middle which can cause you to hit an obstacle.

I agree with your comments and in any event I cannot see why Gx3h and Gx4h owners should be provided with a substandard product just to 'standardise' with the Gx4hs :evil:

Haven't complained to the dealer as I doubted it would achieve anything but am certainly in the 'not happy' group. Maybe we could have a poll on here - who's got them and how happy are you with them? I'd do it myself if I knew how :oops:

I have them and I'm 50% happy. They are better than nothing. If I had to choose again I would ask the dealer if he could fit 3rd party ones but if he couldn't I'd stick with these rather than having them fitted elsewhere.
Kind regards
Mark

maddogsetc said:
I agree with your comments and in any event I cannot see why Gx3h and Gx4h owners should be provided with a substandard product just to 'standardise' with the Gx4hs :evil:

Haven't complained to the dealer as I doubted it would achieve anything but am certainly in the 'not happy' group. Maybe we could have a poll on here - who's got them and how happy are you with them? I'd do it myself if I knew how :oops:

Are the FPS on the GX4Hs different to the GX3H and GX4H?

Are the FPS on the GX4Hs different to the GX3H and GX4H?
Good question - I'd assumed that they are, given all the discussion on here (this and other threads) and the fact that I only have 2 sensors on my GX4h.

I'd also assumed, given that the reasons given for there only being 2 sensors all relate to options only available on the GX4hs, that us Gx3h and GX4h owners are in effect suffering a sub-standard product as a result of Mitsubishi's decision to standardise on 2 sensors across the range.

It would be interesting to know whether the diesel models get 2 or 4 :?:

Anyway the reason given is silly. How difficult is it to specify sensors that operate in a different band? Or use infrared sensors?

I have received a definitive reply from Mitsubishi customer services, the front parking sensors are the same for all Outlanders, they work as they do to suit the GX4hs which has other forward facing electronics which the parking sensors might interfere with. No one else has complained, so that is the end of the matter. if I am still unhappy take it up with the dealer who sold me the car.

The car is actually on contract hire and the useless parking sensors cost £5.67 per month, and will do for the next 36 months!!!!

I wanted a front nudge bar so sensors would not be needed, but this would interfere with the ACC as well. I have found that the reversing sensors and camera compliment my favourite parking method now. I still park a little further away from a wall or other vehicle or curb when forward parking. I would think that the same sensors used for ACC with a different set value would make ideal parking sensors. Having a speed controlled changeover of function should be no trouble for a car with the number of computers as the PHEV. On the other hand, when the ACC is not used, then the function could revert to front parking by default. The switch button and display could all be interactive to even use the same graphics. More buttons just make for more confusion.

Greendwarf, I don't NEED FPS, I wanted them, the same as I wanted a sunroof, satnav and Xenon headlamps. Having paid for something I expect it to be fit for purpose, whether I NEED it or not.

Back