GX4h Ordered

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StevePHEV

Just had confirmation that my GX4h delivery date will be mid January - That's ages away!

The more I wait the more I see on the road!

Think yourselves lucky. I'm not getting my Ruby Black GX4h until end of Feb (as thats when my current contract runs out)

It's the right time of year for time to pass quickly anyway, with xmas and all...

I changed the colour of my order to Granite Brown and was told there were 7 left in the UK and I could expect mine in 2 weeks. Result

It was bad enough dealing with people at work ordering the new Mercedes C-Class PHEV, when I placed my GX4h order - but now it seems that the new BMW 3-Series PHEV is on the lease-site ridiculously cheaply (less than the Outlander), so it seems hoards of people are thinking of going for it.

I'd still rather have the SUV form factor, but there will always be that little voice saying 'you could have had a luxury saloon'

:evil:

With the BMW you would have a smaller car, less electric range (40 Km claimed), similar fuel consumption and 2WD.

I've got to wait until my existing lease runs out 21 March 2016. However, my new GX4hs has been ordered and will be on the driveway the week before that lease runs out, it seems a long way off but in reality it's a very short time span in my life especially when the next few months will be mad at work.

Doesn't stop me reading up on the forum about all the tips, tricks, boot opening, best MPG tricks, etc. I'm hoping to be an expert before I get into it! :)

I am the same, and I really want the 2016 owners manual to read up on first.

The one question I cant answer is... What is the little button on the side of the remote for?

Hi
Just joined the forum as I have placed an order for an Orient Red GX4hs.
My dealer tells me it will be available around mid January. It's very exciting.

Mine must be getting closer as I have had the government grant forms to fill in and return to the dealer... exciting times!

I am going to put my 13AMP socket on the wall outside the garage this weekend so that its all ready!

StevePHEV said:
Mine must be getting closer as I have had the government grant forms to fill in and return to the dealer... exciting times!

I am going to put my 13AMP socket on the wall outside the garage this weekend so that its all ready!

I put mine just inside the garage and made a small channel in the base of the frame to pass the output cable of the charger through (with a small bracket to keep it in place and the garage door shuts securely.. Although the portable charger is weather resistant I didn't see any point leaving it out if I didn't need to as the output cable was plenty long enough to reach the car easily if reversed to the garage.

Apart from getting wet I was more concerned about a black coloured box being left out to bake in the sun and overheating the electronics whilst probably hot in operation anyway.

If you plug yours in an outside socket it could get stolen unless you find a way to secure it.

Yeah I am trying to look at the options to secure the plug in place, and i am going to get a little coded pad-lock to secure the cable in place at the end - I know its not much but its something!

I am happy to leave the box outside, as I dont think we get the same heat that other countries get - and surly its under a warranty if it fails.

When I had one on test I did use the plug in the garage but I figured it would be more hassle each day / night opening up the garage to charge, and if the other half parks to close to the garage door I will have to keep moving her car.

BobEngineer said:
I put mine just inside the garage and made a small channel in the base of the frame to pass the output cable of the charger through (with a small bracket to keep it in place and the garage door shuts securely.. Although the portable charger is weather resistant I didn't see any point leaving it out if I didn't need to as the output cable was plenty long enough to reach the car easily if reversed to the garage.

I do the same. I initially considered putting a socket on the outside of the garage but it just wasn't worth it as there was already a convenient socket on it's own circuit inside that wasn't used for anything else. For the security and weatherproofing benefits it's worth the small inconvenience of having to open the garage door to plug in and unplug. I'm lucky that my garage has a built in "feature" of a bigger gap between the door and the floor at one end so I didn't even need to cut a channel out.

I don't even need to open the garage door, I leave the charger plugged in and on.. standby current seems to be neglible - the output lead and car plug live outside and I have a wall mounted dummy socket that I park the plug in when not charging..

Just reverse on the drive, ping the flap and stuff it in..

BobEngineer said:
I don't even need to open the garage door, I leave the charger plugged in and on.. standby current seems to be neglible - the output lead and car plug live outside and I have a wall mounted dummy socket that I park the plug in when not charging..

I need to do this! What are you using for the dummy wall socket?

DazzyB said:
BobEngineer said:

I need to do this! What are you using for the dummy wall socket?

One of these made for the job from this supplier..

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/SAE-J1772-Plug-Holder-Dock-for-EV-Charging-Station/2029061354.html

There are some sellers of these in the UK but they charge £16+ for the same item. This seller was fine and it will arrive eventually in 2 to 5 weeks (slow this time of year), free shipping and only £8.73, find a spot it won't get knocked too easy when the connector is stuck out, mine is alongside a drain down pipe. Mine has done a year so far good as new.

Initially I considered an external EVSE and this was arranged by the dealer when I got the car. I would have had this fitted to the outside of the house but it would have meant a trailing wire over the footpath to the gate. As I had to wait for installation, I had to plug the supplied lead into the garage internal socket to reach the car. This is on the other side of the drive, so there is no danger of anyone tripping up over the wire. I have one of those outside garden boxes that you put longer cushions in, just outside then garage. So I leave my lead plugged in all the time, the control box is supported on the shelf below the socket - so there is no strain on the wire, and the wire feeds though a channel under the door. I put the plug end in the outdoor garden box when not in use to protect it from the rain / dry it out if it has been raining. This has meant my plugs & box have stayed immaculately clean and just means I need to give the cable a quick wipe if I am unplugging to take it on a trip.

I reverse onto the drive, and can be out of the car and plugged in with the front door to my house opened faster than my wife can get out and close the driveway gates. When going out, I can unplug, put the plug in the box, close the flap an be in the car, starting up, before the rest of the family have got their seat belts on.

As a result of the convenience of just using the supplied charger, I cancelled my order for the external EVSE as I think it would take more effort, not be as safe for people walking over a cable on the path, and I couldn't see the point of paying an extra £250 to cut the charging time by only an hour and a half, when the car was going to be plugged in all night anyway. I also didn't like the thought of the charging data being sent somewhere every time I charged my car!

Back