Heated Windscreen - UK Models?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Claymore

I've seen many references to the above in various on line documents but see no reference to its inclusion on UK models anywhere on the Mitsu UK site.

Neither has my search of this forum revealed any info specific to UK models.

Is it safe to assume that we are deemed not to experience sub zero temperatures in the UK?

JimB

Freezing to death in Chesterfield!

I had a heated windscreen on my previous car. Although it was nice to have in freezing/fogging conditions, I found the prismatic effect when driving into low sun quite unpleasant.

I'm glad that I'm not the only one to be disappointed to see heated windscreen not included in UK spec. (along with promised tan brown leather)

In fact I am disappointed that Mitsubishi does not allow proper choice of options on cars. Most manufacturers allow you to 'build' your own car up with choice of sunroofs, seating, parking sensors, navigation, etc,etc.

Perhaps Mitsubishi's production line cannot handle personal choice.

I want to spend my money on the practical driving aids, with a bit of comfort, and not too much bling.

Not that bothered by its omission, as the defrost function is very good and with pre heating I never get into a car with a frozen windscreen.

New leather colours are available on the Gx5 models coming soon I am told.

As for heated screen, that would be good but putting the car heating on timer will probably do.

I too have come from cars that had heated screens.

However, cant say i have missed it :eek:

As Titan has said the defrost function is very effective & a 10 mins pre warm in a morning takes care of any frost on the screen ;)

I must say I do miss the heated windscreen from my s-max. Of course it's great to be able to pre-heat, but with five people breathing out in the car, it does tend to mist up after a while, and a minute or two of heated screen would use less battery than putting the air-con on....

So your hands on the wheel will be warm, but you'll just not be able to see where you are going! Logical!

Electric screens are handy - especially for the ice. It would also help fill up the bank of blank switches in front of the centre console.

What options can people have which would fill those blanks up - I can't think of any. Spot lights and that's it.

As for the brown leather option - they missed a trick there. Would have sold well. However, people need to remember that allowing signicant personalisation adds costs and time to the supply chain. The production line would need massive investment to do it. Thus bumping up the cost of the cars.

The 2 things missing for me, is that FCM should be standard on all models, with LDW and ACC as an option pack for all models. What Mitsubishi have done here, is something that occurred in the 90s - you had to buy top models for safety features. Safety should be standard for all and extra safety packs should be available on all. Simple.

I have been trying to work out the exact meaning of what it says in the manual but there is a suggestion that the base of the windscreen is heated to stop the wipers sticking (page 6-57). It talks about this being turned on along with the heating on the side mirrors when you switch on the rear window defrost (6-58). It does that thing of saying "on some models". So; does anyone know whether it is fitted to any UK models?

Now you have read the book - see the film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIE6vcEzfYU

Although to tell you the truth I am no wiser as to which countries have the Windscreen De-icer.

As I said before, I would appreciate being able to choose my options, I mean the useful things, not just mats and glittery door handles.

I have been waiting since launch of the PHEV for a lighter interior colour, the black leather look from the 70's Professionals jackets does nothing at all for me.

C'mon Mitsi........I have a pen poised over the dotted line here!

The heated windscreen was only made available on LHD vehicles, there fore PHEV's officially imported in the UK do not have this feature.

Thanks for confirming that.

I checked the spec on the global site and this is described as 'front wiper de icer' and not available on RHD models.

So not available in the home market.

As presumably the screen is only heated in the area where the wiper blades are parked the screen would have to be manufactured in LH and R H versions although it makes the cynic in me wonder why they bothered producing any RHD versions at all.

JimB

I've just noticed that the specs on global site have separate item for heated windscreen (in addion to the item mentioned above).

This is shown as an option on all models other than the 4S where it is shown as standard equipment.

However, none of this matters if we're told we're not getting it.

JimB

On the UK page for Outlanders the interior graphic shows what appears to be a heated windscreen button (other side of the auto button from the rear heater button).

raymie said:
On the UK page for Outlanders the interior graphic shows what appears to be a heated windscreen button (other side of the auto button from the rear heater button).

Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water....... :)

I've tried to zoom in on that button in the e-brochure, unfortunately it's pretty poor resolution but it does kinda look as if it could be a windscreen heat button. Unfortunately I've never seen one before.

I would have thought there's enough folk on here in the UK who've already taken delivery of a MY16 who can tell us what that button actually does?

Otherwise, mine's chugging along off the Portuguese coast at the moment so, Hell and high water permitting, not too long now....

JimB

Just checked, my car does not have the fuse in place for the windscreen defrost function so I guess it is not fitted in the UK (pre-facelift).

raymie said:
Nope- that is the defrost function.

Back