Hello! New PHEV owner...

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rizlam

Hi everyone

New PHEV owner here. Black GX3h, and probably one of the last models pre 2015 face-lift.

I do 8 15 mile journeys a week so my plan is to be 100% electric - though already on my first few journeys I couldn't work out how to stop the petrol engine kicking in when putting on the aircon. Loads of great info in this forum so I'll look forward to getting some top tips.

Would be good to get people's suggestions regarding a home charging point as my driveway is just too far from a power socket and I'm not supposed to use a bog standard extension reel... currently I have to leave the car practically in the wall to make it reach. Is there any benefit other than future-proofing to go for a 32Amp socket?

I'm a bit of a car nut generally so I'm excited by the technology as much as anything else. On the flip side of the coin, here's my weekend runabout... http://retrorides.proboards.com/thread/84983/1975-toyota-celica-ta22?page=2

Cheers! Stephen

The sort of things that will make the car use fuel

Having a lead foot like my missus
Automatic use of fuel to avoide contamination (thinks it's 15 litres per quarter)
Requirement for heat as the current GX3h doesn't have an electric fan heater

Other than that you should do fine with those sort of trips!!

In case it wasn't clear from the previous post.

The engine always runs if you have the air-conditioner on.

I haven't checked, but it is possible that the engine is driving the compressor with a belt. If not, then the extra demand for electricity causes the engine to turn on.

This is not a function you can turn-off.

(Except by turning off the air-conditioner)

Andy

AndyInOz said:
In case it wasn't clear from the previous post.

The engine always runs if you have the air-conditioner on.

I haven't checked, but it is possible that the engine is driving the compressor with a belt. If not, then the extra demand for electricity causes the engine to turn on.

This is not a function you can turn-off.

(Except by turning off the air-conditioner)

Andy

My aspire, 2014 runs aircon without the ICE running. Aircon compressor is not connected to the ICE. As the battery is depleted, then ICE will operate to maintain the battery.

With due deference to our antipodean friends, I think Stephen is up here in the UK where it has been rather chilly in the mornings AND very wet (so condensation is a problem) so he has been running the aircon as a heater/demister - in which case the ICE will start in a Gxh3 unless the temp is set to 15 degrees. Otherwise you are correct - as a cooling device it runs on battery.

So, the answer to Rizlam is quite simple : always set the temperature on 15 before stopping the system, and maintain it at 15 or under the external temperature displayed on the dashboard when you drive.

WE do assume too much as our AUS shipped PHEV's only go down to 18C, so good luck setting the aircon to 15C or below. We can also set the heater to 32C. Just what do the EU PHEV's allow the heater to be set to?

gwatpe said:
WE do assume too much as our AUS shipped PHEV's only go down to 18C, so good luck setting the aircon to 15C or below. We can also set the heater to 32C. Just what do the EU PHEV's allow the heater to be set to?

15 to 29 in UK

gwatpe said:
WE do assume too much as our AUS shipped PHEV's only go down to 18C, so good luck setting the aircon to 15C or below.

OK, and what happen if you, australians, set the temperature at 18 °C ? Would the engine start for heating ?
Our european engines can't start (at least for heating ;) ) with the temp set at 15 °C, even if it's very cold outside... but when the weather is very cold, if you set the temp at 15,5 the engine will start, of course. Is it the same behaviour at 18 - 18,5 for your cars ?

Hi as for the extension lead issue. I couldn't see the value in the charging unit without a full grant so used heavy duty cable from a camping extension lead and use it with an RCD no issues so far and miles cheaper. Charged every day for 2 months since I've had it fine. Just under 7000 miles now and loving it GX5h enjoy yours.

Estuaryview said:
Hi as for the extension lead issue. I couldn't see the value in the charging unit without a full grant so used heavy duty cable from a camping extension lead and use it with an RCD no issues so far and miles cheaper. Charged every day for 2 months since I've had it fine. Just under 7000 miles now and loving it GX5h enjoy yours.
That's great - thank you. I'll get one of those!

Stephen

Rizlam said:
Estuaryview said:
That's great - thank you. I'll get one of those!

Stephen

Buy a good quality extension cable, making sure that it is rated at the full 13A. Also make sure you always fully unwind it from the spool - cables on their spools will tend to warm up.

maby said:
Buy a good quality extension cable, making sure that it is rated at the full 13A. Also make sure you always fully unwind it from the spool - cables on their spools will tend to warm up.

Yes my wife found out about that one when sanding floors in our property, she didn't unwind the cord and placed a folded dust sheet over the spool. By the time she noticed, due to the smell in the room, the cable had gotten so hot it had started to melt the plastic.

Unplugged it, waited for it to cool, then into the bin it went!

Back