How does the 12v battery charges?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sunder said:
Unless someone comes up with a solid answer in the next week or so, I think what I'll do is measure the battery voltage, and apply a 10A load to it for an hour, then measure the voltage again. If it doesn't drop, then we know the charger is at least 10amp.

I'll then apply a 20A load and repeat, until at some point I can see the voltage drop. At that point, we know that the charging circuit is less than that size.

I'll post the results up here if I can. Unfortunately, all my inverters are up at the farm, and I'm not going up for another two weeks.

Yes, thinking about it, it would have to be in excess of 20A as it also drives the fuel injection for the engine, headlights and other gadgets. I guess it would have adequate protection against overloads.

If you load test it, you will need to have the car in ready mode as accessory mode does not turn on the charger, it certainly does not in mine.

Perhaps the quickest way to test is to measure the current into the battery from the charging circuit and then increase the load on the battery until the charge current reduces to zero.

Sunder said:
Unless someone comes up with a solid answer in the next week or so, I think what I'll do is measure the battery voltage, and apply a 10A load to it for an hour, then measure the voltage again. If it doesn't drop, then we know the charger is at least 10amp.

I'll then apply a 20A load and repeat, until at some point I can see the voltage drop. At that point, we know that the charging circuit is less than that size.

I'll post the results up here if I can. Unfortunately, all my inverters are up at the farm, and I'm not going up for another two weeks.
Hi,

I'm thinking about fitting a PTC-Heater (used in the Diesel-Outlander) in my PHEV without electric heater.
You can see it here: https://www.drive2.ru/l/9772226/
But this needs a maximum current of 80 A. So it would be nice to know, how much current could be delivered from the drive battery by the regular DC-DC-converter. For the remaining load, a bigger 12V battery would be needed.
Does anybody know the max. current?

Paul

It wouldn't help, as the 12 V battery is not continuously charged from the main battery when the car is switched off. I think a petrol auxiliary heater, or one fed from the mains, would be a better option.

https://www.webasto.com/gb/markets-products/car/retrofit-parking-heater/

t3lmo said:
When the car is stopped, the main battery will charge the 12v auxiliary one, every day at 2 pm, but only if the car is plugged in.
There will be some beep noises inside that will turn off when the door is open.

12366184_1183641474997826_8715544629669640603_o.jpg

Many posts refer to the 2PM daily charging but at what time zone I wonder? Local time or Japanese Time?

PHEV07 said:
t3lmo said:
When the car is stopped, the main battery will charge the 12v auxiliary one, every day at 2 pm, but only if the car is plugged in.
There will be some beep noises inside that will turn off when the door is open.

12366184_1183641474997826_8715544629669640603_o.jpg

Many posts refer to the 2PM daily charging but at what time zone I wonder? Local time or Japanese Time?
For me, it is local (CET).

PHEV07 said:
Local time where the car is. The car knows the time - the infotainment system has a real time clock, and the car has a GPS receiver.

Hooking up a inverter to the 12 volt battery and seeing how long it lasts before you kill the 12 volt battery is not a good test at all. The 12 volt battery is only a small storage and for anything in the car to be used such as headlights etc. The car has to be fully on in the ready mode. The car supplies the power for everything and the 12 volt battery is just a storage for a quick and short-term use. The car will charge the battery when the car is fully on and in the ready mode or when the car is actually being charged or if your Wi-Fi is always enabled it will charge once a day to keep the 12 volt battery topped off. You can verify the times when the car charges the battery I just plugging in a simple device that shows voltage into your cigarette lighter type accessory outlet. I use a FM Bluetooth transmitter type that shows the voltage. When the 12 volt battery is low and the car is charging it for more than about 10 minutes the large leads from the car to the battery get warm which means there is a high current charging the battery which means that you can hook up a large inverter to the battery but you must have the car in full on mode the whole time that you are using the inverter so the car can continually apply power to the inverter and also keep the 12 volt battery charged. You can't run other hi current draw items in the car while the inverter is running such as seat heaters and headlights etc etc. You can realize that you can draw quite a bit of power from the 12 volt system by just looking at the fusible links that come off of the 12 volt battery which are much higher than 10 amps. I'm not sure how many amps the traction battery system sends to the 12 volt system when the 12 volt battery is low or there is a heavy draw so I can't tell you how many watt inverter to buy.

Back