How does the remote heater really work?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steepndeep

With winter coming I have modified the keyfob to start the remote heater, which seems to work in turning it on. I previously used the phone app to do this and I have also used the MMCS in the car to set the remote heater to start. And now comes the questions, how does the remote heater really work?

On the MMCS you can set it when to start but not for how long time it shall run. But on the phone app you can set the running time for the remote heater. On neither of them you can set the "mode" of operation, i.e. air to floor or face or windscreen or a combination thereof.

In which mode does it start? The mode I left it in when I switched the car off or another mode? Can I change this?

How can I change running time through MMCS? Or is the running time only set by phone app and then MMCS cannot change it?

Can I set it to run until a specific temperature is reached?

If time is set to say 30 minutes but temperature setting in car was at 16 degrees C when I turned the car off. Will the remote heater run for 30 minutes even if the car reaches 16 C after 10 minutes?

Does it matter in any way if the ventilation is turned off or on when I switched the car off the evening before when I try to use remote heater in the morning? Note that I try to always turn the ventilation off before parking the car overnight. This is because if it is cold outside and ventilation was left on the stupid braindead idiots at Mitsubishi have implemented madatory ICE start even if I just want to move the car 10 meters. This has been ventilated :lol: in other forums

So, how does remote heater work?

I have used the heater timing function many times during winter and I'm very please with it. It does what it says on the box and warms the car. I generally have it set for 20mins or 30mins running to stop 10-5mins before I get in the car. I suppose any vent you have left closed would not work, but it will still come from the floor/foot well and windscreen vents. Also selecting the windscreen defrost option also warms the car nicely but it only uses he windscreen vent to do so but clears/de-ices the windscreen very well.

Just a tip, if the car is part way through its heating or cooling cycle and you open a door/boot, it will stop and will not come back on (until the next scheduled timing).

Steepndeep said:
Can I set it to run until a specific temperature is reached?

If time is set to say 30 minutes but temperature setting in car was at 16 degrees C when I turned the car off. Will the remote heater run for 30 minutes even if the car reaches 16 C after 10 minutes?

Regrettably no. The heater runs at full blast for the set time irrespective of temperature previously set or temperature actually achieved during its timed run.

This confirmed by Mitsu following my inquiry.

JimB

Back