How many miles (or km) have you managed on one tank?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maddogsetc

Having got to 750 miles with still around 3/4 of my original tank of petrol I thought it would be interesting to see what distances people are covering before needing to top up.

I'm hoping to get to 1500 miles and make it into September before I need the first fill :cool:

maddogsetc said:
Having got to 750 miles with still around 3/4 of my original tank of petrol I thought it would be interesting to see what distances people are covering before needing to top up.

I'm hoping to get to 1500 miles and make it into September before I need the first fill :cool:

Not too bad maddogsetc, slightly better than the Disco I imagine. Have you let your local petrol station know you're not dead? They'll be worrying about you! :D

When I got mine from my dealer nearly three weeks ago now (20 June 2014) they said they had put in £25 and that gave me just over half a tank. I have done 500 miles on that and think I could do roughly another 100 before having to fill up (there's not much left).

Unfortunately, given that I do have to drive to the airport on Friday and that is about 100 miles away, I am not going to chance it and will fill up tomorrow (particularly as it is mostly on Motorway). Mind you I am spending roughly £6.50 a week on electric as well, so in reality I will have done 600 miles for £44.50. By my calculations that's roughly £0.07p per mile (someone correct me if I'm wrong) which is not too bad. I'm driving a round trip of roughly 30 miles per day on weekdays and charging overnight, slightly less on the weekends.

Pretty impressed with your 750 miles with 3/4 remaining maddog :!: You must not be driving very long distances at all and be able to charge regularly. How much have you spent on electric though?

To answer various questions, my journeys have so far all been short ones - longest so far probably no more than 45 miles.

I'm fortunate enough to be able to recharge during the day, most days.

The worst case scenario so far for me has been the same 45 mile round trip, twice in one day with insufficient time (or no opportunity) to recharge in between, followed by another 20 ish mile round trip the same day.

According to the car I've run up about £40 in electricity costs. Can't be precise because although you get the running total down to the last penny for the current month, long term history is only a bar chart.

Same distance in the Disco would have been close to £200 in diesel so I reckon I am saving around 70% at present. Whether I can achieve the same saving over the long term remains to be seen as there will eventually be need to use it on some longer trips.

maddogsetc said:

obviously you are doing a lot of charging to get that. a full charge and 45 ltrs of fuel should get you about 400 miles realistically, subject to driving style and load.

obviosly if you can charge between fuel fill ups, its going to extend your range by 30ish miles every time.

Congratulations maddogs, that's pretty good going. Also thanks for your previous posts as well - very useful info when I was still waiting for 'Phoebe' to arrive. I'm on 2 weeks and 300 miles now, no petrol used yet!
PS It's a shame your ("one's") signature changes on all previous posts as well, though; makes it a bit confusing....

at 1418 miles today I finally bit the bullet and filled up with petrol for the first time since the day I collected the car.

I'd actually forgotten how to open the filler flap and had to consult the handbook. Even then I didn't find it easily - luckily the petrol station was quite quiet!

So I now know for certain that 32.4 litres gets me 1411 miles or about 2270 km. My Road Trip app tells me I'm getting 198mpg - it's a shame the car can't tell me but it is, as we all now know, at least one digit short of a full statistic.

Adding in the cost of electricity (whether or not I've paid for it personally) I get to an overall fuel cost of 7.5p/mile.

I'm pretty confident I could have achieved my target of 1500 miles from one tank but chose to fill up a little early as I happened to have a Sainsburys 10p/litre voucher and didn't want to have to pay full price, being as I may not be visiting another petrol station for a couple of months :lol:

Now, if only I could find a way of making the weekly shop at Sainsburys last as long as a tank of petrol...

maddogsetc said:
at 1418 miles today I finally bit the bullet and filled up with petrol for the first time since the day I collected the car.

I'd actually forgotten how to open the filler flap and had to consult the handbook. Even then I didn't find it easily - luckily the petrol station was quite quiet!

So I now know for certain that 32.4 litres gets me 1411 miles or about 2270 km. My Road Trip app tells me I'm getting 198mpg - it's a shame the car can't tell me but it is, as we all now know, at least one digit short of a full statistic.

Adding in the cost of electricity (whether or not I've paid for it personally) I get to an overall fuel cost of 7.5p/mile.

I'm pretty confident I could have achieved my target of 1500 miles from one tank but chose to fill up a little early as I happened to have a Sainsburys 10p/litre voucher and didn't want to have to pay full price, being as I may not be visiting another petrol station for a couple of months :lol:

Now, if only I could find a way of making the weekly shop at Sainsburys last as long as a tank of petrol...

Sounds good - I make that a MPGE of around 78 mpg.

chindley said:
197.37 MPG to my Calcs. You have failed for not reaching 200 mpg :roll:

That's a misleading figure.

He says that his energy consumption equates to 7.5p per mile. Petrol is currenly around 130p per liter or 580p per gallon - so I make his effective fuel consumption about 77mpg.

so I make his effective fuel consumption about 77mpg.
Yes I agree with your calculation.

But as car drivers we are I think collectively locked into the 'mpg mindset' and this example just shows how misleading that can be. I'm still pleased with 78mpge, but if I'm honest at first I felt a little bit deflated after the smug satisfaction of achieving so many miles on one tank and a headline near 200mpg.

To make a real comparison between cars with differing means of propulsion we need a more universal unit of measurement. Mpge might do for now as it feels comfortingly close to what we are used to.

But why do we need to bother converting all fuel cost to the equivalent of a gallon of fossil fuel? Why not convert the cost of petrol to electrical equivalent and quote miles/kwhe? It's equally as logical, or illogical perhaps.

Cost per mile (or Km) seems to me eminently more sensible.

This is not directed ay any of the posters on this thread or any other. More a rhetorical question which may or may not strike a chord with others. :ugeek:

maby said:
chindley said:

He says that his energy consumption equates to 7.5p per mile. Petrol is currenly around 130p per liter or 580p per gallon - so I make his effective fuel consumption about 77mpg.

Maby, you will have to give me a maths lesson. What calculation did you use to get to that figure?

chindley said:
maby said:
chindley said:

Maby, you will have to give me a maths lesson. What calculation did you use to get to that figure?

Well, unless I'm completely cracking up, it's like this:

130 pence buys you 1 litre of petrol
1 gallon = approximately 4.5 litres
hence 1 gallon costs 4.5 x 130 = 585 pence.

if his effective fuel costs come out at 7.5 pence per mile (that is counting both petrol consumed and electricity) then he is effectively getting 585 divided by 7.5 = 78 mpg - that is what a conventional car would have to return to come to the same running costs.

maddogsetc said:
so I make his effective fuel consumption about 77mpg.
Yes I agree with your calculation.

But as car drivers we are I think collectively locked into the 'mpg mindset' and this example just shows how misleading that can be. I'm still pleased with 78mpge, but if I'm honest at first I felt a little bit deflated after the smug satisfaction of achieving so many miles on one tank and a headline near 200mpg.

To make a real comparison between cars with differing means of propulsion we need a more universal unit of measurement. Mpge might do for now as it feels comfortingly close to what we are used to.

But why do we need to bother converting all fuel cost to the equivalent of a gallon of fossil fuel? Why not convert the cost of petrol to electrical equivalent and quote miles/kwhe? It's equally as logical, or illogical perhaps.

Cost per mile (or Km) seems to me eminently more sensible.

This is not directed ay any of the posters on this thread or any other. More a rhetorical question which may or may not strike a chord with others. :ugeek:

The calculation is like grabbing at clouds because the relative costs of different fuel types are continually fluctuating - my point is that it is important to compare like with like and you need something like mpge to do that. People with large solar panels will do better than the rest of us, but electricity is certainly not free for me.

Your figures are still good - at least twice the effective fuel efficiency of a comparable sized conventional car, but they most certainly are not 200mpg - if we accept that figure, then a Tesla will do infinite mpg! When our Outlander arrives, I'm anticipating around 60 mpge given our probable pattern of usage - I will be happy with that given that it will be replacing a diesel Landcruiser that turns in about 20 mpg!

Your figures are still good - at least twice the effective fuel efficiency of a comparable sized conventional car, but they most certainly are not 200mpg
I agree and I don't think I ever claimed that the figure 197mpg was representative of the actual running costs :?, I gave that when I quoted 7.5p/mile in the next paragraph.

The calculation is like grabbing at clouds because the relative costs of different fuel types are continually fluctuating
Which of course is true whether you quote mpge, pence/mile, kwhe or anything else.

Looking at this another way, the most economical way to use this car is as a pure EV charged from the mains. We're told that a full charge costs around a pound at average prices and takes you about 30 miles. One pound buys close to one sixth of a gallon, so the absolute best you could get out of the car is around 180 mpge.

Back