Inconsiderate PHEV Owner in Hexham

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bilbo59

Visited Waitrose (Hexham) on 10.10 am Sunday 13th March. Couldn't plug in because of a grey PHEV hooked up. No problem - but went over to see how long they had to go. Discovered it wasn't on charge. 50 mins later - still hooked up - still not on charge.

Really unimpressed with anyone who hogs a charging point like this - I left a polite note on the windscreen - and yes it was actually polite.

If you know this car, can you point out some basic charging point etiquette (and manners) to the owner. Thanks.

Three different connectors of which the only suitable one was plugged into the PHEV. Also - the cables are fairly short and you have to be parked in that bay to connect easily.

So, basically two charging bays and one connecting point...Hmmm.. I would have unplugged the bloke and reversed in next to him.

I think I would have gone into Waitrose to the Customer Service desk and asked for a tannoy along the lines of "Would the owner of DR02DOG please move his vehicle out of the electric parking zone as another customer would like to use the charging point."

To be fair to him he did park as far over to one side as he could without actually encroaching on the disabled space. I also believe is is acceptable charging etiquette to remove the plug from a charged vehicle and use it on your own. That's what Robert Llewellyn said on the Ecotricity vid.

jaapv said:
So, basically two charging bays and one connecting point...Hmmm.. I would have unplugged the bloke and reversed in next to him.
Still might not have been long enough. I know of one CHAdeMO point where the cable isn't long enough to use on the PHEV if the RHS bay is taken, due to the location on the charging point.

Saying that the point I'm speaking about normally has a Leaf parked in it, not charging.

Bilbo59 said:
Three different connectors of which the only suitable one was plugged into the PHEV. Also - the cables are fairly short and you have to be parked in that bay to connect easily.
Yes I think you may have had to reverse in at an angle or right angles to make the cable reach - still that quite a distinctive car reg that gives the dog a bad name

onlynik said:
jaapv said:
Still might not have been long enough. I know of one CHAdeMO point where the cable isn't long enough to use on the PHEV if the RHS bay is taken, due to the location on the charging point.

Saying that the point I'm speaking about normally has a Leaf parked in it, not charging.
Happy that both my type1-type2 cable and charging box cable are 8 meters... ;)

Hmm very unique, my bets is a vet, I'll ask my daughter she is an equine vet in Hexham and wonder if she's spotted it.

Bladevane said:
I think I would have gone into Waitrose to the Customer Service desk and asked for a tannoy along the lines of "Would the owner of DR02DOG please move his vehicle out of the electric parking zone as another customer would like to use the charging point."

To be fair to him he did park as far over to one side as he could without actually encroaching on the disabled space. I also believe is is acceptable charging etiquette to remove the plug from a charged vehicle and use it on your own. That's what Robert Llewellyn said on the Ecotricity vid.

I suspect they were in the Sports Centre next to Waitrose but I really didn't want to unplug someone's car or make announcements in Waitrose or the Sports Centre. Hopefully the notice on their windscreen will make them think about it next time! Normally I can plug in and have my shopping done in 20 mins, unplug and head home. In this case I got chatting to friends so was around longer than normal and observed the car still there when I left.

UPDATE

According to some other EV owners in the areas, this car is apparently well known for being left regularly all day in EV Charging bays, blocking access to the charger.

Any suggestions (legal only)!!

Unfortunately with the length of cable available at these particular chargers it is not possible to plug in a PHEV when that space is occupied. Leaf yes, PHEV - no.

Back