Is my British Gas / Polar unit faulty?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MHS

We've had the 16 Amp unit installed since late October, with no problem until last week.

It firstly intermittently, and now most of the time, fails to charge the car. The green light doesn't come on. Only the orange power light is on, with no red.

I have never set any charging timers. Last week, it seemed to work if I moved the car by a yard or two, then reconnected it, but now nothing.

The Mitsubishi supplied cable (plugged into 13 Amp socket) works every time, without fail. It's just not convenient at home though.

Any suggestions before I ring British Gas would be appreciated.

jaapv said:
Most likely problems with the cable. Are you sure you have it plugged in firmly?

Yes, I've caressed it gently, put it in firmly, and aggressively shoved it in. Oh god this is sounding like 50 shades!!

I've even spoken to it nicely to it, blown gently and vigorously into the connections. No luck this evening.

Make sure the button on the handle is fully up when you plug it into the car.

We have had ours stick down a little and the car makes all the right noises but the charger will not charge.

Cheers

NAPpy said:
Make sure the button on the handle is fully up when you plug it into the car.

We have had ours stick down a little and the car makes all the right noises but the charger will not charge.

Cheers

Just got in from work, and checked this. Still not working I'm afraid.I will give British Gas a ring on Monday, if no more ideas are posted.

I had the same problem; it turned out the microswitch in the plug at the car side was out of kilter. I took the plug apart - dead easy - bent the lip a bit and it has been fine since.

jaapv said:
I had the same problem; it turned out the microswitch in the plug at the car side was out of kilter. I took the plug apart - dead easy - bent the lip a bit and it has been fine since.
Thanks, I will have a look at that. In the meantime, I have got it working for now.

I have switched the unit off, and popped the fuses in the consumer unit off. Then turned them back on. After a few minutes the orange/green lights stopped flashing and we're in business again.

I had tried this before, but with no success.

Back