Kenwood DNX 4230 DAB

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

figodagodude

I ordered my new outlander PHEV GX3H+ with the mitsubishi recommended Kenwood DNX4230DAB multi media system as I wanted the reversing camera and sat nav.

upon collecting my car in March 16 I noticed that i was experiencing difficulties in using the bluetooth hands free system for making telephone calls, the system is alleged to have voice activated system and hands free as standard.
I had to pay £1400 for the kenwood heap of crap!

the hands free option is lost when this unit is fitted and the steering wheel controls are NOT compatible with this unit!
I use a Samsung android mobile phone and as soon as I experienced difficulty with bluetooth hands free mitsubish informed me the unit is functioning as expected! THIS IS SUPPOSED TO BE AN UPGRADE!

basically you gain a sat nav dvd reverse camera dab radio but you loose normal hands free function of your steering wheel, this means while driving you have to take your eyes off the road and select the telephone mode then select the voice control then press it to set it before you speak. the only way i got this unit to work was through you phones mobile daa service then through google meaning you get charged for data and your call..THIS IS NOT BLUETOOTH!

I have also experienced problems with the DVD player. while parked and in accessory mode on the PHEV the dvd will not work it will only work when the power /ignition system is on full IE ready to drive away , when you read the phev hand book it tells you not to leave power on full for an extended time as it could cause damage to system pumps and onboard computer system and drain the battery causing system failure.

I spoke with kenwood technical support about this and they say the although Mitsubishi recommend the Kenwood unit for the Outlander is is NOT fully compatible with the PHEV..

My dealer has taken Mitsubishi's side until I sought legal advice under my consumer rights now they admit the unit is not fully compatible and are removing it and refunding me my money £1400 and fitting the original fm radio unit.

I have found Pioneer do a unit the avic f80 which has a steering wheel connection and "parrot hands free bluetooth" either way when fitted this unit WILL GIVE FULL FUNCTIONALITY IN THE PHEV and the cost is nearly half that of the crap Kenwood.
PEOPLE IF YOU HAVE A PHEV DO NOT FIT THE KENWOOD UNIT !

As far as I am aware this system is developed and marketed by Kenwood and all Mitsubishi did was approve it for fitment. Mitsubishi themselves fit a Rockford Fosgate system.
In the Dutch forum most aftermarket systems fitted have been Pioneer ones, and in general the owners seem to be well satisfied.

Maybe if the dude was to give a hint as to what part of the world he /she was in that might help maintain (yaaaaaawnnn!) interest.

£1400 extra to get the camera which is standard on the 4H, in fact on the 4H it's the all round camera. Is this another wind up?

JimB

Claymore said:
Maybe if the dude was to give a hint as to what part of the world he /she was in that might help maintain (yaaaaaawnnn!) interest.

£1400 extra to get the camera which is standard on the 4H, in fact on the 4H it's the all round camera. Is this another wind up?

JimB

First line of the post states it is a Gx3H+ :oops: So this is not a replacement for the MMCS but an add on so the connections/functions may not be available in the more basic car for the unit to work with, anyway.

Back