KEY DUPLICATION

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jthspace

As you know, the theft of expensive cars with keyless entry is huge (in the UK) with Range Rovers and similar disappearing by the hour. Key reprogrammers that the thieves use are available on the web for less than £100 and covers most of the cars out there (including ours).

The police recommend a "crook lock" type of device as stealing one of these types of car by reprogramming is relatively easy and done in minutes.

The reason that it is easy to reprogram a blank key by the thieves using the OBD port is that the PIN code for any given make of car is "standard" I am lead to believe. One of the options of using an ETACS programmer (to change door locking etc) is to change the re-key PIN code so it becomes impossible to reprogram a key unless you know the PIN to key in maually into the programmer.

Less convenient, but the crook-lock is probably an easier solution . . . just a pain to remember to use it!

I was thinking of one of these

$_12.JPG

Jeff

The key is certainly not enough. I use a Cobra immobilizer and a Bearlock steering wheel lock (albeit the latter only when the car is parked in a dodgy situation). Most Crooklock type locks can be opened in seconds.

http://www.bearlock.nl/Producten/Bearlock_Excellent_NRK-FK

Agree they are more a "visual deterrent" - but if it looks harder to steal my car than the one next to it - that's fine by me as a thief will want to be in and away quickly, rather than trying to yank a steering lock off the wheel. Anything to slow them down is good, by which time the alarm will be blaring hopefully).

Perhaps we should point out to these thieves that they are unlikely to get 148 mpg with their sort of driving or is it the tax benefits they're after?

:D Most of them either can't read or are unemployed so won't pay BiK!

Well, there is a massive "second-user" market for stolen cat converters (they have been power-sawn off in the local station car park) so maybe the batteries will be a future target.

Most of the luxury cars that are stolen are stolen to order, and end up in containers at ports within hours. Cars stolen for parts are usually taken, then left for two to three days in side streets near the eventual cut-shop to see if there is a tracking device fitted. If the police or recovery service turns up then they know there is a tracker.

Which is one of the reasons mine will have a tracker fitted shortly.

Jeff

Well, somebody did steal my steering wheel airbag with the car parked in my driveway... Must lock it next time. :roll:
Timed it with my dealer. It takes 12 seconds to remove.

jthspace said:
Agree they are more a "visual deterrent" - but if it looks harder to steal my car than the one next to it - that's fine by me as a thief will want to be in and away quickly, rather than trying to yank a steering lock off the wheel. Anything to slow them down is good, by which time the alarm will be blaring hopefully).
Did you ever see anybody react to a car alarm? :eek: :shock: :lol:

jaapv said:
Did you ever see anybody react to a car alarm? :eek: :shock: :lol:

No, but it may just scare the scrotes off . . . . .

Jeff

scrote
noun BRITISH informal
plural noun: scrotes

a contemptible person.

Back